Pakistan 🇵🇰 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 1st test Rawalpindi

some good pieces about the current England set up, Athers wrote a great one put its pay wall so no point posting, Ramps here also good

About how they have managed to take all the pressure off the players. Athers also makes a good point that the set up is geard towards our strengths (in the batting anyway), where we have so many good attacking white ball players who have grown up playing T20 cricket. Pick the ones with the best red ball potential. Rather than trying to shoe horn in "traditional" players who are much less talented like Burns, Sibley and co.

If you have someone like Steve Smith or whatever, you obviously pick them, but no point picking a poor man's version is there.

I think the test team has changed forever now personally, v much like the white ball stuff, once players lose the fear factor and believe they can play this way, we will have people queuing up.

it was one of the flattest wickets in the history of test cricket and the ball wouldnt spin an inch for anyone, he out bowled Nathan Lyon here from a year ago
Sorry like but the fact you come up with an excuse for everything he does makes no sense.

No it didnt, he did that as the ball was reverse swinging and the pitch offered absolutely nothing for spin, literally nothing.

Its so unfair that people are judging spin bowlers on that pitch, its one of the worst pitches I've ever seen, yet the SMB deems it acceptable to fit their own agendas around it.
Mo Ali took 195 at 36.66
Monty took 167 at 34.57
Emburey - 147 at 38.40
Giles 143 at 40.3
Tufnell 121 at 37.33

Just a selection there of bowlers Leach has a better record than
I’m on your side re Leach in that he’s as good as we have got but some of those bowlers would have appreciably better figures if Drs had been available. There were series abroad where Tufnell and Emburey didn’t get a single LBW it was a joke.

There were series abroad where Tufnell and Emburey didn’t get a single LBW it was a joke.
I'm sure there's a series from way back in Australia - possibly in the '40s - where England didn't get one LBW decision in all of the tests, yet the Aussies got about five or six per game.

Aussie umpires were some of the most notorious 'homebirds' going at the time.

I'm sure there's a series from way back in Australia - possibly in the '40s - where England didn't get one LBW decision in all of the tests, yet the Aussies got about five or six per game.

Aussie umpires were some of the most notorious 'homebirds' going at the time.
It was when Tufnell was there in the 90s. In fact at one stage after a huge appeal Daryl Harper the Aussie umpire said to him ‘shut up you Pommie bastard’ :eek:

some good pieces about the current England set up, Athers wrote a great one put its pay wall so no point posting, Ramps here also good

About how they have managed to take all the pressure off the players. Athers also makes a good point that the set up is geard towards our strengths (in the batting anyway), where we have so many good attacking white ball players who have grown up playing T20 cricket. Pick the ones with the best red ball potential. Rather than trying to shoe horn in "traditional" players who are much less talented like Burns, Sibley and co.

If you have someone like Steve Smith or whatever, you obviously pick them, but no point picking a poor man's version is there.

I think the test team has changed forever now personally, v much like the white ball stuff, once players lose the fear factor and believe they can play this way, we will have people queuing up.

Exactly must be great as a England player to have that freedom with the confidence they fully backed.

Great place to be in top level sport for any player

It was when Tufnell was there in the 90s. In fact at one stage after a huge appeal Daryl Harper the Aussie umpire said to him ‘shut up you Pommie bastard’ :eek:
I remember that series but I'm certain I read about an earlier one where no England bowler got a LBW decision for the whole series.

Trying to find it on Google but struggling at the minute.

Edit: Found it. 1971 - there were only 5 LBW decisions in the entire series. England got none, Australia got five.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a story about dickie Bird, after retiring from playing , one of his first games as umpire was yorkshire V someone...Yorks bowler runs in, hits the batsman on the pads, Yorks appeal..along with..Dickie bird :)

I’m on your side re Leach in that he’s as good as we have got but some of those bowlers would have appreciably better figures if Drs had been available. There were series abroad where Tufnell and Emburey didn’t get a single LBW it was a joke.

Yeah thats fair like

I was just making the point that they proably are substantially better

Just making hte point that Leach is putting together a body of work that is looking decent, in all conditions against all teams

some just made their mind up on him early and wont budge
Aren’t!! Sustainability better I meant

Typo

Last edited:
Barbar wanted a turner they have their own groundstaff. But their chief curator supervises all the pitches which I found interesting.

Balance of the team will be interesting be amazing if they can win the series so hard to win tests out there.

Barbar wanted a turner they have their own groundstaff. But their chief curator supervises all the pitches which I found interesting.

Balance of the team will be interesting be amazing if they can win the series so hard to win tests out there.

We might have better spin options than them in any case. The big question will be about the playing of spin, but this feels very reminiscent to me of when we won in India in 2012, we got up in that one so they tried to prepare pitches to suit their bowling but ended up being convincingly outbowled cause we had Swann and Panesar while they only had a load of part-timers.

have a slight feeling we might have peaked this test, will see
just reading stokes interview

he is hinting he might not recall foakes to play another bowler, most likely Wood

I love the thinking at least

my prediction is Foakes wont play the ashes.

Last edited:
have a slight feeling we might have peaked this test, will see
just reading stokes interview

he is hinting he might not recall foakes to play another bowler, most likely Wood

I love the thinking at least

my prediction is Foakes wont play the ashes.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all and I think Pope did a more than capable job in the first game. If that’s what they go with, I’m a fan.

Hewww @Liverpool Beachball, get the Second Test match thread up man!

Back