Painting over previously wallpapered wall....

Snaggletooth

Midfield
Stripped wallpaper off today, came off great and the walls are spot on, way better than i expected. Just had to fill in a few holes where pictures etc had been.
The plan was to re-paper, as i didnt know what the walls would be like, but now would prefer to emulsion. The wallpaper had been on over emulsion painted walls, so im not down to bare plaster.

Can i just paint straight onto the wall, or will it need washing down to remove any wallpaper paste residue? It feels and looks ok now, but feels tacky when dampened, (or for the forum perverts, slippery when wet), so i guess its paste.
Would emulsion paint reactivate it....cause staining?

Stripped wallpaper off today, came off great and the walls are spot on, way better than i expected. Just had to fill in a few holes where pictures etc had been.
The plan was to re-paper, as i didnt know what the walls would be like, but now would prefer to emulsion. The wallpaper had been on over emulsion painted walls, so im not down to bare plaster.

Can i just paint straight onto the wall, or will it need washing down to remove any wallpaper paste residue? It feels and looks ok now, but feels tacky when dampened, (or for the forum perverts, slippery when wet), so i guess its paste.
Would emulsion paint reactivate it....cause staining?
kinnell marra, have You not got any beer in:lol:;)

kinnell marra, have You not got any beer in:lol:;)
Aye, having a few cans now, watching Braveheart, and thinking about painting a sodding bedroom tomorrow.
Wash it down to get the paste off. I washed most of my walls before painting and they look better than the ones that I didn’t - cos I was sick of painting by the time that I got to them as we were doing the whole house in one go.
Just soapy water? Sugar soap?

Last edited:
Aye, having a few cans now, watching Braveheart, and thinking about painting a sodding bedroom tomorrow.

Just soapy water? Sugar soap?
Warm water with washing up liquid should do the trick if it’s nothing too bad on the walls.

I’m down the 7th layer of shite on the walls in my hall/landing. All will need plastering now as well 😂 Wish I’d stuck with my original idea of just painting over the paper 😭

Warm water with washing up liquid should do the trick if it’s nothing too bad on the walls.

I’m down the 7th layer of shite on the walls in my hall/landing. All will need plastering now as well 😂 Wish I’d stuck with my original idea of just painting over the paper 😭
Ah, shit mate, nightmare.
I watched this vid on youtube, and followed what he done to strip it. Worked a treat....top layer came off easily enough, though seemed to come off better working from the ceiling downwards. Second layer, the backing paper, i sprayed a whole wall, went back to the beginning and everyone came off as a whole sheet. Some, i was only needing to peel for a couple of feet, then gravity took over and it rolled to the floor.

I watched this vid on youtube, and followed what he done to strip it. Worked a treat....top layer came off easily enough, though seemed to come off better working from the ceiling downwards. Second layer, the backing paper, i sprayed a whole wall, went back to the beginning and everyone came off as a whole sheet. Some, i was only needing to peel for a couple of feet, then gravity took over and it rolled to the floor.
Is the way to strip wallpaper, 32 yr in the gane now & still people pay me to take it off!

I’ve scored it, used wallpaper stripper, hot soapy water with a roller and tried a steamer. Still only comes off inch by inch. Had two decorators for one room and they said it’s the worst they’ve seen.
Is the way to strip wallpaper, 32 yr in the gane now & still people pay me to take it off!
As above 😭

As a person who does remodeling, I suggest that anyone with paper on the wall remove it completely. Painting over it is complete failure. It might survive a year, but will eventually peel. It always peels.

As a person who does remodeling, I suggest that anyone with paper on the wall remove it completely. Painting over it is complete failure. It might survive a year, but will eventually peel. It always peels.
Funny, my father-in-law is a time-served painter and decorator with his own business and well over 50 years at the game.
He put blown vinyl up in ours years ago, and all we have to do is re-emulsion when the need arises - no peeled off paper to be seen so far.

Back