Ozzy ozbourne

I'm not really into metal like some are so I'm not really qualified to comment, but isn't the story that Tony Iomi created the sound because of the way he set up his guitar strings to allow him to play after injuring his hand in an industrial accident.

Close enough
Geezer wrote the songs, well, lyrics I suppose. It was a unit rather than four individuals though.

Lyrics are nowt

@chriswallace85 has strong opinions on this subject. Personally, I would go with Sabbath being the band who made Heavy Metal a 'thing' but I can't see them ending being the end of HM as a genre. Whether you like it or not, it certainly has longevity.
Aye. Sabbath = not metal. Metal owes a lot to Black Sabbath though.
Is it fair to say he is the most important man of heavy metal and when he dies metal dies?
Tony Iommi. Though metal certainly wouldn't die with him, and he still isn't heavy metal himself.

Last edited:
I would argue that although not a heavy metal band initially Zeppelin were more influential.
Zeppelin 1 and 2 were released in ‘68 and ‘69 a year or 2 before Black Sabbath.
Their hard rock sound had already made waves.

Sabbath are the band that started it all, legends
Zeppelin, Purple and Priest also very influential, even The Kinks had some killer metal riffs.
All genres of metal owe a lot to these bands, especially the mighty Sabbath 😎

hmmmm, the who were formed in 1964, sabbath 1968, both crap imho but credit where its due
Is it fair to say he is the most important man of heavy metal and when he dies metal dies?

SMB this shite
could he play any instruments? he is the most important man of heavy metal ? you are miles away man , hes just a fat brickie from brum :lol:

Last edited:
hmmmm, the who were formed in 1964, sabbath 1968, both crap imho but credit where its due

could he play any instruments? he is the most important man of heavy metal ? you are miles away man , hes just a fat brickie from brum :lol:
The Who fuckin crap?!
Give yourself a shake lad!

Of couese 'metal music' will not die when Ozzy dies. He was the voice of Sabbath but did not contribute anything songwriting wise. The death of Hetfield/Ulrich/Harris/Dickinson will be bigger loses imo - hopefully they are all nowhere near dying! Christ this is getting morbid (angel).

How can you say Ozzy contributed nothing songwriting size ?....That's ridiculous !.....He has contributed to some of the best metal songs ever..... both solo and with Sabbath.

Last edited:

Name somebody more influential?
How can you say Ozzy contributed nothing songwriting size ?....That's ridiculous !.....He has contributed to some of the best metal songs ever..... both solo and with Sabbath.

Not just that - it's his connections, Ozzfest, the list goes on. Name one of the big rock bands from late 60s / 70's who had as good a career when they went solo as Ozzy bar the Beatles.
I would argue that although not a heavy metal band initially Zeppelin were more influential.
Zeppelin 1 and 2 were released in ‘68 and ‘69 a year or 2 before Black Sabbath.
Their hard rock sound had already made waves.

True, Zep are as if not more influential, but I'm on about in Metal.

Last edited:
He contributed his voice and he was amazing as a singer for the band, but he was not a songwriter or lyricist - I didn't mean to undermine him too much really. I love Ozzy/Sabbath

He contributed his voice and he was amazing as a singer for the band, but he was not a songwriter or lyricist - I didn't mean to undermine him too much really. I love Ozzy/Sabbath
Ozzy as a front man for Sabbath and also fronting his own band was out there on his own. To say he had a great voice is another thing entirely. He was ok as a singer but in my opinion nowhere near the likes of Dio.
I saw Sabbath about five years ago now. Ozzy is an old man with a body fucked by years of alcohol and drug abuse and a voice that had clearly gone. That still didn’t prevent me from seeing an awesome band.

Of couese 'metal music' will not die when Ozzy dies. He was the voice of Sabbath but did not contribute anything songwriting wise. The death of Hetfield/Ulrich/Harris/Dickinson will be bigger loses imo - hopefully they are all nowhere near dying! Christ this is getting morbid (angel).

Never rated Ulrich as a drummer but he was a force in Metallica's development. I went cold on Hetfield a long time ago.

With the benefit of hindsight, Steve Harris was/is a huge influence. Dickinson was a great front man but a mere employee

Last edited:

Back