Ozturk must not be selected for play off matches.

There's more to it than just ability. Taking Baldwin as an example; Pboro supporters loved him, he was playing so well they made him captain and he ended up having a poor season. We presumably took the gamble this was a blip and signed him. The pressure of playing at SAFC seems to have really gotten to him, even a family member told a poster on here that fan opinion really gets to him.

I don't think he is a bad footballer, but I'm in the minority. I think he often shows good promise when things are going well.

Keane said that on a few occasions he signed a player he really liked, they'd look excellent in training and as soon as they went out in front of 40k passionate fans they fell apart.

We can't afford to sign the players who have played and been successful at big clubs. I'd love to see us scout from central/south America where the atmosphere/stakes are high but players would likely want to join a club like ours.
Another reason to start looking at the bigger picture when signing players. Ferguson used to get a full run down of a players private life before signing them .

I don't think he has been that bad tbh, apart from getting away with a blatant pen he hasn't stood out as making many individual gaffes?

It really has come down to assessing which one is LEAST likely to commit a howler.

Another reason to start looking at the bigger picture when signing players. Ferguson used to get a full run down of a players private life before signing them .

Agree completely. SD mentioned he knew Maguire would thrive here because of his personality. We need more of that sort of insight....though not necessarily from SD.

Last edited:
Ozturk has his faults but they all do.

His main attribute is his ability to compete physically with strong forwards. Despite it being obvious to anyone with a modicum of footballing knowledge, those charged with recruitment at the club failed to recognise that a pre-requisite for a centre half at this level is the ability to compete physically with big centre forwards.

Hence we’re left with Baldwin and Flanagan, both of whom seem to get troubled by anything stronger than a mild breeze.

Hard to tell if he's doing that regularly as we don't get replays etc......id assumed it was just the Doncaster game where they highlighted it that people were talking about.
He definitely did it at Southend as I saw it with my own eyes.

We've only had 46 league games and another 10 or so cup games and JR can't even settle on 1 centre back, never mind the best combination. The chances of getting it risght now appear fairly slim.

In the 7 matches Ozturk has started this season we have kept 1 clean sheet and collected nine points.
In the games Ozturk has played we have gained 1.29 points per game.
If this had been continued for the whole season we would have gained 59 points and have finished mid table well off the play off places.
Without Ozturk in the starting 11 we have played 39 games and gained 76 points which is significantly better at 1.95 points per game and in that time kept 12 clean sheets. So without Ozturk we are getting a clean sheet every 3.25 games as opposed to 1 in 7.
Without Ozturk we were on course for 89.5 points but with him only 59 points. A massive 30 points difference.
I know people will say it is just statistics but he has started 7 games which is significant.
Also everyone must realise how slow he is and that includes the opposition.
I think while he is in the team we sit deeper because we dare not push up incase we are caught out for speed at the back.
Jack Ross should at least consider what his best centre back pairing is. If he cannot decide from watching then he might as well use the most efficient pairing statistically which is Baldwin and Flanagan despite letting in 5 freak goals against Coventry

Ozturk played well against Doncaster. No nonsense, boot it up or out. Apart form when he tried and didn't make touch. Little point in playing a footballing centre half if half the midfield in front of him don't want the ball. Best off hoofing it. Keep it simple.

While there is a bit of me which agrees with the OP, I would also say don’t play Baldwin and don’t play Flanagan and by the way Dunne should not be picked either.

So let’s play with four central defensive midfielders. How about playing Catts, Power , Leadbitter and McGeouch as a flexible midfield and centre back formation.

Well that make about as much sense as picking the team on the basis of the stats the OP has used. It is very true that we have not conceded a goal or dropped a point all season with one of those four midfielders playing centre back.

Come to think of it Wyke has yet to concede a goal in his whole career, so that’s the keeper picked.

I don't think he has been that bad tbh, apart from getting away with a blatant pen he hasn't stood out as making many individual gaffes?

His defending is no nonsense which should have been the blue print for the other 3 centrehalfs we've had there this season..

He played in the 2-0 win home to Doncaster at Easter.

If that were be repeated across 46 games then we would got 138 points and set a new record. Also we would have conceded zero goals, another record.
That is ridiculous.
Any statistic has to be based on all of the information.
He has played 7 games for us and to select one is obviously stupid.
I really hope you are feebly trying to take the piss

Aye he was to blame for the Coventry debacle and he wasn't even playing.
You say such ridiculous stuff. No one suggested that!!!

Ozturk played well against Doncaster. No nonsense, boot it up or out. Apart form when he tried and didn't make touch. Little point in playing a footballing centre half if half the midfield in front of him don't want the ball. Best off hoofing it. Keep it simple.
So what has gone wrong in the five games since then

Last edited:

Back