Oxford

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Grew up with this in the skyline and no more.

China village :)
I ran the bookshop there(before the place got completely up itself) The day the chinese visa restriction were relaxed 28 coach loads of them turned up.....was carnage. Gets/got more visitors than oxford itself. Used to get its fair share of arabs and what looked like russian mafia and their women

I'd go here...( If you are allowed)

The Bodleian Library is the main research library of the University of Oxford, and is one of the oldest libraries in Europe. With over 12 million items, it is the second-largest library in Britain after the British Library. Wikipedia

I ran the bookshop there(before the place got completely up itself) The day the chinese visa restriction were relaxed 28 coach loads of them turned up.....was carnage. Gets/got more visitors than oxford itself. Used to get its fair share of arabs and what looked like russian mafia and their women

Amazing isn’t it.
We have a fair few China visitors to our business and they often get asked where they would like to go. Site seeing in London, Stratford upon Avon, Shakespeare’s birthplace etc but the number one choice is always Bicester Village.
I see they even have translated signs there now. :D

Amazing isn’t it.
We have a fair few China visitors to our business and they often get asked where they would like to go. Site seeing in London, Stratford upon Avon, Shakespeare’s birthplace etc but the number one choice is always Bicester Village.
I see they even have translated signs there now. :D
Signs were done years back

I'd go here...( If you are allowed)

The Bodleian Library is the main research library of the University of Oxford, and is one of the oldest libraries in Europe. With over 12 million items, it is the second-largest library in Britain after the British Library. Wikipedia

I was in the Bod yesterday. I needed a book on military history from the early 1800s and its transfer date kept getting put back. When I checked up, it was an error. It had been taken out in 1913 but not returned. The staff believed the book holder had been killed in the great war before he could bring it back.
Day trip coming up soon. What are the highlights oh wise SMB? Just got a day to spare there - say 10am to 4pm. Thanks in advance.

I work at the university, and it's all been said on this thread. I'd also reccomend the bear pub, see if you can find the safcsa tie in their collection on the wall. Also it's Ben kingsleys local so you can say you've had a drink with the manderin from iron man and Ghandi. To be honest once you've seen the town you'll be knackered anyway so don't try and do too much. A tour of the town and colleges and maybe the Ashmolean at the most.

Last edited:
Here’s my Oxford Meldrew.

Started the day with an outdoor swim at Hinksey heated pool 10/10

Park and ride just up the road, cheap and easy, very friendly bus driver 8/10

Post swim breakfast on the Westgate roof terrace 10/10

Quick look at the new autumn fashions in John Lewis in the Westgate 9/10

Last supper in Pompeii exhibition at the Ashmolean, what a lifestyle those Bay of Naples Romans had 10/10

Second breakfast at Ashmolean caff 10/10

Walk through central Oxford full of tragic tourist shops, maybe the new Westgate has killed the old streets 5/10

Rad Cam, Bod, St Mary, Sheldonian - unlike Cambridge Oxford University actually has a central group of buildings mostly designed as they should be by Sir Christopher Wren 10/10

Walk through Christchurch Meadow to river, gorgeous, 10/10

Walk all the way back to the park and ride due to enthusiasm for walking 10/10

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L Sayers audiobook on phone as background most of the day - a novel all about Oxford and feminism (rah!), perfect accompaniment 10/10

Last edited by a moderator:

Last supper in Pompeii exhibition at the Ashmolean, what a lifestyle those Bay of Naples Romans had 10/10

Walk through central Oxford full of tragic tourist shops, maybe the new Westgate has killed the old streets 5/10

Rad Cam, Bod, St Mary, Sheldonian - unlike Cambridge Oxford University actually has a central group of buildings mostly designed as they should be by Sir Christopher Wren 10/10

Gaudy Night by Dorothy L Sayers audiobook on phone as background most of the day - a novel all about Oxford and feminism (rah!), perfect accompaniment 10/10

You did well with that walk mind. It's a fair distance. I got the x1 back to Abingdon with my fiver year old daughter today and it was a nightmare. The bus was packed more than usual and was wall to wall, the traffic was a nightmare, and my daughter was very nearly sick with all the stop/start. If she wasn't so heavy I'd have carried her and walked myself.

Christchurch meadow is lovely. It's easy to forget you're in the middle of a city.

Back