Oxford student stabs boyfriend - could be spared jail

There was a photo in one of the papers of her boarding what looked like a private jet. I'd imagine it's fair to say she had a privlidged upbringing

Definitely privileged. Attending a 16k a year school there suggests a fair degree of privilege for starters. I was really pointing out that going back to Milan is basically going back to the family home, in her case.

She hasn't been let off just because of that though. There are clearly other factors at play here. That much is surely obvious.
Only thing 'in play' is she's not a council estate scratter

She stabbed someone, that carries a custodial sentence for everyone else, treat her the same as every else

Just cos her parents are minted and she's had a few journals published doesn't make her less of a psycho

Regardless of whether she goes to jail won't impact her talent, as she can't become a dr anyway. So what is the judge sparing her (other than chokey)?

Only thing 'in play' is she's not a council estate scratter

She stabbed someone, that carries a custodial sentence for everyone else, treat her the same as every else

Just cos her parents are minted and she's had a few journals published doesn't make her less of a psycho

Regardless of whether she goes to jail won't impact her talent, as she can't become a dr anyway. So what is the judge sparing her (other than chokey)?
Pretty much this unless there are mitigating circumstances like self defence etc, if there's a mandatory sentence it should be carried out.
It opens a bit of a can of worms because surely anyone who does a similar thing and has a clean record has a precedent for their case to be handled similarly if indeed the girl gets off leniently when sentenced.
Either apply the law equally or not at all

Not sure about Barbados but Italy would seem to be, in this case. The article says that she attended a Milan based British school, which would suggest that she grew up in Italy and her family live there.
I meant if Shawnee from Hendon had just been done for getting coked up and stabbing someone they probably wouldn't let her pop to Faliraki. Or a meringue?

I thought there was a zero tolerance approach to things like knife crime?
Me too, if we want rid of divs using knives gotta make sentences count, not have a load of double standards as then it doesn't set the message out loud and clear to all

During the attack at the college, she thumped him, lunged at him with a bread knife, and stabbed him in the leg.

She also threw a laptop, glass, and jam jar at him before stabbing herself, the court heard.

Clearly sounds like the rational, stable sort that you'd want in the medical profession :eek:

If Hendon became independent and it was considered that there wasn't a risk that Shawnee would leave never to return then yes.

That was after escaping from prison, though.
There is that factor, although if she gets banged up, it seems she has access to a private jet, sorted:lol:

It's actually states in the article that she won't be able to fulfill her ambition of becoming a surgeon because she will have a criminal conviction even if she avoids jail.

I think the expectation would be for her to complete her medical degree then move on into a career in medical research (presumably by going down the standard academic route starting with a PhD).

Okay, I'll give you an example. Person I dealt with in the past week or so.

Accused person pleads guilty to being in possession of an offensive weapon, namely a hammer, and a second charge of causing fear and alarm by brandishing the hammer and making threats.

Normally, that would be deferred for three or four weeks to get background reports. Because of the very particular circumstances of the offence and background, I persuaded the Sheriff to defer sentence for six months. That was a very unusual outcome, given the brandishing a hammer, but the papers, if they'd reported it, would have been along the lines of "Hammer thug walks free from court."

The bottom line is that the lad was going through serious problems, the people he was "offending" was his family, they phoned the plod because they were worried about him and not themselves. They were all in court and supported him to the hilt.

Be careful what you believe, folks!

Will there be ay consequences for you professionally if your defendant actually hits someone with a hammer whilst awaiting sentence? I suspect not but would you feel any personal responsibility?

I think the expectation would be for her to complete her medical degree then move on into a career in medical research (presumably by going down the standard academic route starting with a PhD).
Thats fair enough. But no way she should ever be allowed near patients

Back