Owning Dogs - should be closely regulated

I came across a "dog group" the other day,all had British bulldogs and some had pictures of the said dogs laminated and hanging round the owners necks.

Few of them were running riot.

No bud

As I've said on this thread a few times, muzzle those breeds that an average size bloke couldn't comfortably restrain in an attack. Certain breeds and anything over a certain size.
The deaths and serious injuries seem to be in houses where that’s impossible to implement. I drove past Tencreek caravan place at Looe yesterday, that dog wouldn’t have been muzzled

What a load of reactionary schoolboy bollocks. :rolleyes:

How about we punish the guilty by enforcing existing laws, rather than punishing innocent, law abiding dog owners?
You see it all the time on here - ‘I don’t like such and such so let’s tax it or ban it’.
No, let’s not.

If we’re going to go all Harry Enfield’s ‘Mr Angry’, spouting ill thought out, illiberal, table thumping, hysterical crap, let’s start with the bigger issues. Let’s tax alcohol out of existence.
It would solve a lot of society’s issues and is much more of a problem than a bit of dogshit on the pavement.

What’s that? Not a popular idea?

I don’t drink, so I don’t care!:lol:
That’s how it works, right?

Incidentally, pedigree dog owners as a collective entity are not responsible for dogs in shelters. I don’t know where that bizarre logic comes from. It’s generally morons who haven’t a clue about dogs who end up giving them up. People who don’t understand dogs, their needs and how to train them.

Anyone slating people for buying dogs from breeders rather than taking one from a shelter is a f***ing idiot. Dogs in shelters often require an experienced keeper who can take the time to sort out any emotional or behavioural issues they may well have. Guilting unwitting people into taking dogs from shelters often means the dog simply ends up being returned to the shelter, and the cycle continues...

Incidentally, pedigree dog owners as a collective entity are not responsible for dogs in shelters. I don’t know where that bizarre logic comes from. It’s generally morons who haven’t a clue about dogs who end up giving them up. People who don’t understand dogs, their needs and how to train them.

Anyone slating people for buying dogs from breeders rather than taking one from a shelter is a f***ing idiot. Dogs in shelters often require an experienced keeper who can take the time to sort out any emotional or behavioural issues they may well have. Guilting unwitting people into taking dogs from shelters often means the dog simply ends up being returned to the shelter, and the cycle continues...

I'd certainly agree with that. Dogs from shelters are often "damaged" in some way and need someone with experience and time. In nearly all cases, they're certainly not suitable to be taken into busy family homes, regardless of whether the adults are experienced. Cats, on the other hand, are a different matter...

The deaths and serious injuries seem to be in houses where that’s impossible to implement. I drove past Tencreek caravan place at Looe yesterday, that dog wouldn’t have been muzzled
I know bud, I'd considered that but you can't take into account every circumstance

Hopefully forcing certain dogs to be muzzled in public would prevent certain types of people from wanting to own them.

It is all a matter of training. You find the 'stupid breed owners' tend to raise their 'stupid breeds' to be more aggressive which creates issues.
A small dog that is in the hands of someone who is wired up wrong is dangerous. I go into peoples houses every day and I would say that the most common breed is a staffy. People put them in the dangerous dog or stupid dog breed and I personally have never had dealings with a bad one. I’ve come out covered in scratches from wrestling and playing with them but never any suggestion of aggression. Lovely dogs. I’ve been chased off a long haired retriever and a Springer before mind

My dog is a little homo, frightened of his own shadow, thinks he’s a hard kernt when someone walks past the house and he barks at them, not a chance I’d leave him in a room with a bairn though.

Honest question, why do you allow the barking?

Does my nut in when I go to peoples houses and their dogs are going insane but they just allow it.

As a responsible dog owner i would say a UK wide database should be established. You must register the dog and the dog us chipped and a blood sample taken, this is DNA tested and stored with chip number. Owners pay a fee to cover the costs of admin, then if dog is found can be traced back to owner and if anyone finds dog shit in street can be tested and traced back to dog and owner fined on a rising scale.

As a responsible dog owner i would say a UK wide database should be established. You must register the dog and the dog us chipped and a blood sample taken, this is DNA tested and stored with chip number. Owners pay a fee to cover the costs of admin, then if dog is found can be traced back to owner and if anyone finds dog shit in street can be tested and traced back to dog and owner fined on a rising scale.

Imagine spending 3 years doing an undergraduate degree in forensic science, graduating and becoming a dog shit tester :lol:

How about we punish the guilty by enforcing existing laws, rather than punishing innocent, law abiding dog owners?
You see it all the time on here - ‘I don’t like such and such so let’s tax it or ban it’.
No, let’s not.

If we’re going to go all Harry Enfield’s ‘Mr Angry’, spouting ill thought out, illiberal, table thumping, hysterical crap, let’s start with the bigger issues. Let’s tax alcohol out of existence.
It would solve a lot of society’s issues and is much more of a problem than a bit of dogshit on the pavement.

Slave traders used to argue that they had a right to make a living too.

I predict that within 20 years of introducing this system the RSPCA would no longer need to euthanise dogs due to not having enough capacity.

Isn’t that worth something? Or are you a dog owner who just doesn’t give a fuck about dogs dying?

Absolute genius

Last edited:

You either own a dna lab that has fallen on hard times or a shit collection company.. either way you had me until the end.

For the record my dogs have been spayed and chipped, and I pay each year for their license.

Slave traders used to argue that they had a right to make a living too.

I predict that within 20 years of introducing this system the RSPCA would no longer need to euthanise dogs due to not having enough capacity.

Isn’t that worth something? Or are you a dog owner who just doesn’t give a fuck about dogs dying?

Absolute genius

Have you considered the hundreds of thousands of dogs that will be abandoned if your amazing plan of heavily taxing owners and creating red tape is put into practice?

Yes, I give a fuck about dogs dying. I’m passionate about preventing cruelty to dogs and abandonment. Your idea is ill conceived and unjust.

I have no idea what your opening line is a response to. You’re making yourself look very foolish.
If you’re fishing, we’ll done. You hooked me.

I don’t think shit can be effectively DNA tested, mind. At least it couldn’t a few years ago.

Last edited:

No, let’s not.

Is it any wonder that dogs go attacking people all over the place when their owners have anger management issues.

Have you considered the hundreds of thousands of dogs that will be abandoned if your amazing plan of heavily taxing owners and creating red tape is put into practice?

Yes, I give a fuck about dogs dying. I’m passionate about preventing cruelty to dogs and abandonment. Your idea is ill conceived and unjust.

I have no idea what your opening line is a response to. You’re making yourself look very foolish.
If you’re fishing, we’ll done. You hooked me.

I don’t think shit can be effectively DNA tested, mind. At least it couldn’t a few years ago.
No dog would be abandoned under my plan.

The revenue raised in taxes will ensure all dogs are rehomed, deter scratters and tramps from having dogs they can’t afford to look after properly, educate people, and clean up all the shit off the streets.

The tax could be paid monthly like the TV licence fee for those who can’t afford cash up front.

Back