Owning Dogs - should be closely regulated

But the thing I can’t really get my head round is those that pick it up, bag it, then throw the bag away...why go through the effort, you’ve done the hard work picking it up, why then dump it where it will never decompose?

People do that out the back of mine. It's a large circular path through woods and fields with side paths every so often leading off into the streets. There's a bin at every side path so it's not like you're carrying the bag around for ages before you find a bin.

According to wiki before the licence fee was scrapped in 1987 the fee was only 37p?

Anyone have a dog around those times that can verify this?

Can remember my Dad mentioning 37p.

I went with him once to buy a dog licence from the Post Office. The woman said "and what's the name?" so he said Snoopy. Then she said "and your address Mr Snoopy?" and he had to explain that was the dog's name not his :lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any breed of dog which could overpower an average bloke should be licenced and/or muzzled in public.
I saw two daft fat bints walking a big Japanese Akita down the beach a few months ago laughing as they shouted to other dog walkers " yous'd berra keep away, we've just got this dog as a rescue dog and don't know if it's vicious yet". Fcking ridiculous

I don't know if it's the same dog but some pissed fat lass was running through Thompson park in her stocking feet last week looking for her Akita "before it gets another dog"

Madness

Any breed of dog which could overpower an average bloke should be licenced and/or muzzled in public.
I saw two daft fat bints walking a big Japanese Akita down the beach a few months ago laughing as they shouted to other dog walkers " yous'd berra keep away, we've just got this dog as a rescue dog and don't know if it's vicious yet". Fcking ridiculous

I don't know if it's the same dog but some pissed fat lass was running through Thompson park in her stocking feet last week looking for her Akita "before it gets another dog"

Madness
Even a Jack Russell could maul a kids face though if it hasn’t been looked after correctly

Even a Jack Russell could maul a kids face though if it hasn’t been looked after correctly
But if it were to attack a kid in public at least someone could go to help the kid.
Remember that bloke who was killed by a pitbull type (iirc), people stood and watched but noone dared go in the garden to help.
I realise there would have to be a cut off line but certain breeds with a tendency or record for attacks and all dogs of a certain size would seem quite fair (imo)

But if it were to attack a kid in public at least someone could go to help the kid.
Remember that bloke who was killed by a pitbull type (iirc), people stood and watched but noone dared go in the garden to help.
I realise there would have to be a cut off line but certain breeds with a tendency or record for attacks and all dogs of a certain size would seem quite fair (imo)
Some big dogs are quite docile though

It was about 5/- or maybe 7/6 though (25p or 37.5p).

Probably should have made it a more realistic amount.
If it was 50 pound a dog per year it might make people think twice before getting one

All dogs are capable of flipping.
"Eeeeee he's never done that before...." after the first incident.
Sadly after the first incident with a stocky ball of muscle like a staff there's likely to be serious damage.

Something needs looking at.

People are thick when it comes to safety too. That lad who died in the caravan this week was left alone with a dog. Crackers.
Dog attack boy 'was alone in caravan'

Ultimately, if a dog feels threatened, feels the pack are threatened or feels its position in the pack is threatened, it'll generally react in some way. Sometimes this'll be barking/growling but sometimes it'll be biting or worse. The full details of the caravan case haven't come out but it's utter madness to have left the lad alone with a dog that barely knew him.

Training for dogs and also for dog owners is needed really. Most of the latter is just common sense and being aware of how a dog can behave.

Some big dogs are quite docile though

If it was 50 pound a dog per year it might make people think twice before getting one
They are, but all dogs can turn.
I'm not on about destroying them, just saying they should be muzzled in public.

Do you really believe the scratter with the Akita will pay up? Who's going to check?

I'd quite happily pay £100 for a dog license if it deterred the fuckwits from owning one.
Was gonna suggest 100 pound or maybe a bit higher per year.

The money could be put straight back into rehoming strays, taking dogs off bad owners, and cleaning up shite

They are, but all dogs can turn.
I'm not on about destroying them, just saying they should be muzzled in public.

Do you really believe the scratter with the Akita will pay up? Who's going to check?
If someone notifies the authorities of someone without a license, they should be fined 2000 pounds, and 1000 pounds will be given to whoever notified the authorities.

Last edited:
Was gonna suggest 100 pound or maybe a bit higher per year.

The money could be put straight back into rehoming strays, taking dogs off bad owners, and cleaning up shite

If someone notifies the authorities of someone without a license, they should be fined 2000 pounds, and 1000 pounds will be given to whoever notified the authorities.
Christ mate, there's no way they will fine people 2k for not owning a dog licence. Her's a link to a burglar only getting fined 250 quid (random link, first one i found)
Burglar fined - Independent.ie

They won't fine someone eight times as much for not having a dog licence

Pitbulls are banned already, along with the Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Brasileiro. The difficulty comes with crosses from these breeds.

A ban on Staffies wuld probably only mean another breed takes their place.

I'm not sure that bull dogs are dangerous at all. Maybe you're thinking of another breed?

Why would you ban staffies?

"Why was dog licensing in the UK abolished?
Despite it being mandatory to have a licence to own a dog within the UK up until 1987, it was estimated that less than 50% of dog owners actually complied with this law and registered their dogs and paid their license fees. The revenue brought in to the government from dog licensing was simply not matched by the effort, manpower hours and funding it took to follow up on complaints of non-compliance and unregistered dogs. The scheme was abolished in 1987, and replaced in 1989 with the Dangerous Dogs Act (DDA) and additional regulations pertaining to the control of dogs in public places were added to the Environmental Protection Act of 1990."

They should of just raised the fee then to reflect on what they spend.

Back