Owning an old town house

TheWanderer

Striker
...like the ones down Ashbrooke.

Anyone live in one, currently happy with where I am at the moment but would like a move in 4-5 years when the bairns are through primary school and into senior school and would love to live I something with a bit character.

Seem to get an awful lot of house for your money, what’s the downsides?

Anyone live in one, currently happy with where I am at the moment but would like a move in 4-5 years when the bairns are through primary school and into senior school and would love to live I something with a bit character.

You’ll be further away from me.

Can be energy inefficient if it hasn't been worked on recently. Plenty of things to consider pre-move; heating, flues, pipes, wiring, conservation area etc.
Getting rid of drafts might be a pain if you can't install new windows.

Upsides outweigh downsides for me though. High ceilings, loads of character, solid bones of a house, plenty of scope to add value to it through basement/loft conversions and extensions to the back or into the side return.

Used to live with my mam and dad in one in Belle vue Crescent for 30 years until I moved out.

Upsides - loads of space, solidly built and rooms are very light.

Downsides - Decorating - loads of space = loads of wallpaper/paint. Cleaning the place was a nightmare. The amount of stairs will also either keep you fit or kill you.

My Mam and Dad had to move out to a bungalow as it was getting too much for them, plus the whole crescent is slowly being converted into flats/student accom - nothing like it was when we moved in there in the 70s.

Last edited:

Nee garden. Big turn off for me.

Dirty old town house

Worked in one on Stockton Road. It was always freezing or too hot and little could be done with the windows because it was in a conservation area.

The basement flooded a couple of times n'all, which was handy since we used it as a storeroom for books and magazines.

On the plus side, even with the ground floor turned into an office the house above it was huge.

True. Not very private tho and not somewhere people usually want to sit.
Nah, nee body can see into any of the gardens in our street, all totally private as all have fences / shrubs to about 6ft. Possibly one or two further up the street don't. Lots of them in other streets are a bit open like you say though

If it doesn't have a decent rear garden, that's a big no thanks from me. Unless you're just going to do it up and sell it on.

We looked a few areas before buying ours, estate agents kept offering places without off street parking and/or no garden despite them being on our must-have list. The pricks.

Back