Owais Shah

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemanc

Striker
Second top knock for him in a few days - 60 off less than 30 balls, including an 18 ball 50

Back in the T20s for England??

hes got to be, scoring big runs, in the sub continent as well

was second highest scorer in the bbl as well and the aussies were raving about him

If England applied the consistency of selection criterion they do in the test arena to our one day side, Shah would have flourished

If England applied the consistency of selection criterion they do in the test arena to our one day side, Shah would have flourished

To be fair, at the time that Shah was in the England side the test team wasn't being picked with any consistency either.

To be fair, at the time that Shah was in the England side the test team wasn't being picked with any consistency either.

bollocks

The test side changed when Fletcher and Nasser took it over.

We only made once change in the whole of the 2005 ashes series

bollocks

The test side changed when Fletcher and Nasser took it over.

We only made once change in the whole of the 2005 ashes series

Shah played the bulk of his ODIs around 2007-2009 where 11 players made their test debut, compared to 6 in the next 3 years.

Shah played the bulk of his ODIs around 2007-2009 where 11 players made their test debut, compared to 6 in the next 3 years.

that was more by necessity than any veering away from what served them so well

Flintoff, Harmison, Giles etc all fell away from the side due to injury

that was more by necessity than any veering away from what served them so well

Flintoff, Harmison, Giles etc all fell away from the side due to injury

True, but it's still a world away from the current situation, where last month Patel became the first player to make his debut in 2 years.

Shah had 71 odi's and wasn't good enough, his test career was halted by him getting cramps and not really producing anything although his 20/20 career wasn't bad. Do I think we should go back to him imo no as there are just as good younger players out there.

Shah is good against 4 and 5 change bolwers but when the cream come on he is found wanting

I agree.

Bell, cook all got proper cracks. Shah didnt get a look in really.

Shah had 71 odi's and wasn't good enough, his test career was halted by him getting cramps and not really producing anything although his 20/20 career wasn't bad. Do I think we should go back to him imo no as there are just as good younger players out there.

Shah is good against 4 and 5 change bolwers but when the cream come on he is found wanting

Fair enough I reckon.

Still would give him another crack in the t20's.

This is what has me in two minds. He has played quite a lot (I've been willing to write off Bopara for the same reason) and not really taken his chance although from memory he was shuffled about the order a bit. But the shear weight of runs he's scoring and where has to be taken into account.

An average of 30 and 1 hundred in 71 ODI matches would suggest he was never really good enough.

A flat track bully if ever I saw one.

Used to really like him and thought he could cement a test place, especially after his class knock in India. Then it quickly became apparent that when he is faced with the TOP players he gets found out. Still a dangerous player in the shorter formats obviously but Im not sure I would go back to him.

Whether he would or wouldnt have flourished is debatable. However you do raise a very valid point. Cant have helped the lad going into bat every time thinking his spot was on the line.

Used to really like him and thought he could cement a test place, especially after his class knock in India. Then it quickly became apparent that when he is faced with the TOP players he gets found out. Still a dangerous player in the shorter formats obviously but Im not sure I would go back to him.

Whether he would or wouldnt have flourished is debatable. However you do raise a very valid point. Cant have helped the lad going into bat every time thinking his spot was on the line.

Unlike Morgan in the test arena, Shah was good enough to flourish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back