Owa fortys footy

I still play and like others have posted it’s decent standard in top 2 divisions,the higher you play the fitter you have to be.

I’ve always played football from a young age and played decent standard Sunday and wearside/northern league sat and my body is telling me it’s had enough but my brain is telling me I can still do it.

I love the craic and Iam clinging on for aslong as I can,so if you can still run about and play abit then go for it Marra.

Mind I walk as if I’ve shit myslef for couple of days after a game,my body feels like I’ve been ran over but imo it’s worth it.

Julio plays in the 4th division.

It’s decent craic but more competitive than I expected it to be, mix of older players who were obviously really good when they were younger and lads who’ve just turned 40 and have a bit more pace and fitness.
Canny bit travelling ain't there ?
Loads of teams based around Sunderland, but there’s a Redcar v North Shields fixture which is a canny hike.

Last edited:
I still play and like others have posted it’s decent standard in top 2 divisions,the higher you play the fitter you have to be.

I’ve always played football from a young age and played decent standard Sunday and wearside/northern league sat and my body is telling me it’s had enough but my brain is telling me I can still do it.

I love the craic and Iam clinging on for aslong as I can,so if you can still run about and play abit then go for it Marra.

Mind I walk as if I’ve shit myslef for couple of days after a game,my body feels like I’ve been ran over but imo it’s worth it.
How old are you?

Played 14 seasons, just retired last season

Just brilliant fun and very competitive, of course it’s a bit slower overall but made up for by the competitiveness

You have to really love the game to be in over 40s so the craic is brilliant

Younger brother plays/played in the Sunderland district over 40s league.Hes 52 and snapped his Achilles tendon a year past December.Decided to make a comeback two weeks ago,was on the pitch ten minutes and went over and broke his wrist 🤣🤣He was a canny player in his day but think the time has come to hang up his boots!!!!

I play once a week for an hour. The group is a decent mix of ages, from a couple of sons (16-20) right the way up to a 73 year old and a guy who is registered blind. Decent level of competition but generally played in the right spirit.

I’m 51 and in my head still think it only needs for a scout to be walking by and watching my vision, range of passing and incredible football intelligence and I’ll be snapped up. I’m fucked if he sees me trying to shoot though. ⚽🥅

I play once a week for an hour. The group is a decent mix of ages, from a couple of sons (16-20) right the way up to a 73 year old and a guy who is registered blind. Decent level of competition but generally played in the right spirit.

I’m 51 and in my head still think it only needs for a scout to be walking by and watching my vision, range of passing and incredible football intelligence and I’ll be snapped up. I’m fucked if he sees me trying to shoot though. ⚽🥅
Yeah that'd be me

I've always wanted to give it a go. Haven't played regularly since my late 20s when I done my back and the team I ran folded.
Reckon I'd be fit enough but worry that the standard would be a bit high. I only played Wearside Combination level.
I'm 48 now so kept telling myself I'd wait for over 50s but I'd imagine the standard would be even higher, more ex-pro's keeping themselves going.

Back