overhead press

Ta for the link it makes sense and I will try it for the bench, I get stuck about half way when I fail so it looks like my triceps are weak.
Have you been following this program for bench?

Edit: should have read on further :oops:

I have a question though. The aim is to aim for a new 1RM, but what did you use for the 1RM value in the actual program. I'm not a one for 1RMs so not really sure what mine would be. Is it best to have a bit of a trial run first and then use that?

Last edited:

Have you been following this program for bench?

Edit: should have read on further :oops:

I have a question though. The aim is to aim for a new 1RM, but what did you use for the 1RM value in the actual program. I'm not a one for 1RMs so not really sure what mine would be. Is it best to have a bit of a trial run first and then use that?
I’m 2 weeks into a new 6 week phase of the plan, I reached a new 1RM in the first week of January.

When I started the 1st 6 week plan in early December iirc I had a fair idea of my 1RM as I could do about 5x5 at 77.5kg.

I used this site to calc an initial guess at a 1RM and did the calculations based on that e.g. 85kg.

https://strengthlevel.com/

When I attempted the new 1RM after 6 weeks I was going to add another 2.5kg but felt ok so added 5kg on the day. Hopefully I’ll be up to 100kg soon.

I’m 2 weeks into a new 6 week phase of the plan, I reached a new 1RM in the first week of January.

When I started the 1st 6 week plan in early December iirc I had a fair idea of my 1RM as I could do about 5x5 at 77.5kg.

I used this site to calc an initial guess at a 1RM and did the calculations based on that e.g. 85kg.

https://strengthlevel.com/

When I attempted the new 1RM after 6 weeks I was going to add another 2.5kg but felt ok so added 5kg on the day. Hopefully I’ll be up to 100kg soon.
Nice one. I think I'll follow this for 6 weeks when I'm finished my current program in 4 weeks. I'm currently only doing incline bench on a plate load machine and could really do with working on my chest. Probably have a bit nick around one day to find out roughly what my 1RM is.

Nice one. I think I'll follow this for 6 weeks when I'm finished my current program in 4 weeks. I'm currently only doing incline bench on a plate load machine and could really do with working on my chest. Probably have a bit nick around one day to find out roughly what my 1RM is.
I’ve enjoyed it even though i’ve neglected ohp and bent over row. I now bench x2 per week on Monday and Friday and only do the ohp on Wednesday.

Fair way of doing it if you want to develop a bigger bench. No point having a 1:1 ratio of OHP to bench if overhead simply isn’t a focus.
I was doing a stronglifts based programme but after nearly 18 months I twigged that ohp and bent over row are accessory lifts for bench. I decided to go for some 1RMs before I do more cardio work in the Spring.

Back