overhead press

I've just incorporated the traditional overhead press into my training. I usually use the thing in Pure gym where you sit down using a barbell (dunno if it's got a proper name) and I was up to 45kg.

I started on 37.5kg this week for the standing method. I will be adding 2.5kg every other workout so I hope I can at least reach 45kg in the coming weeks.

Although it's the lift that most people struggle to advance on, I really like doing any form of shoulder press. It's probably my favourite lift.

Last edited:
I've been stuck at 42.5kg for about 2 months now, just can't get beyond it so I've started doing a lot more shoulder exercises around it. Trying to take the principles of this bench-press increasing workout and translating it to OHP - https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/six-week-bench-press-solution.html For those interested, this really helped me increase my bench too.
Ta for the link it makes sense and I will try it for the bench, I get stuck about half way when I fail so it looks like my triceps are weak.

Is it supposed to be really difficult?

I've started the stronglifts program last month as a complete beginner to properly lifting. So for those unfamiliar, you start with an empty bar and add 2.5kg each workout. doing 3x a week alternating between squat, bench press, barbell row + squat, overhead press, deadlift.

so as i say i'm about a month in, the weights start easy so they really help a novice get used to lifting the free bar, however i'm already struggling with the overhead press. today i failed one rep on one of my 5 sets. so i did something like 5 5 5 4 5. I'm only at 35kg, but as i was pushing up my arms just didn't want to do what i wanted them to and they gave up.

so a bit of perspective on that 35kg overhead press, that means today i also did 55kg squat, 70kg deadlift, on monday i did 35kg bench press, 42.5kg barbell row with no problems. should i be struggling with the overhead press already or am i just a weakling?
Yes. Its the one I've struggled with the most in SL
I have to really try not to lean back and use my chest to cheat the reps out.

Are you REALLY nipping your arse cheeks together - it helps.

Yes. Its the one I've struggled with the most in SL
I have to really try not to lean back and use my chest to cheat the reps out.

Are you REALLY nipping your arse cheeks together - it helps.
Hahah not intentionally, but I'll give it a go

Buy some micro plates, progress is progress no matter how small.

Also when I fail I’ll rest for 5 mins at the end of my 5 sets, then knock a few kilo off then rep out as many as I can before failure. Feels like I’m making progress doing more work and that I’ll not miss them next time.

This broke my plateau at 47.5 and got me up to 55kg. Gone back down to 47.5 now as I had a few weeks off. Shame as I was hoping to impress myself by getting 60kg by Christmas.

Buy some micro plates, progress is progress no matter how small.

Also when I fail I’ll rest for 5 mins at the end of my 5 sets, then knock a few kilo off then rep out as many as I can before failure. Feels like I’m making progress doing more work and that I’ll not miss them next time.

This broke my plateau at 47.5 and got me up to 55kg. Gone back down to 47.5 now as I had a few weeks off. Shame as I was hoping to impress myself by getting 60kg by Christmas.
do a klokov and put some shoes on the bar

42.5 for 5 reps this morning which was quite a struggle. I'll be adding 2.5 to my 2nd and 3rd set on the next workout (40 x 6 and 37.5 x 8) then 2.5 to my first set the workout after. I can see me failing there so might revert to the seated method which I find a bit easier to progress on.

42.5 for 5 reps this morning which was quite a struggle. I'll be adding 2.5 to my 2nd and 3rd set on the next workout (40 x 6 and 37.5 x 8) then 2.5 to my first set the workout after. I can see me failing there so might revert to the seated method which I find a bit easier to progress on.
You're at around the same point as me. I can do 42.5 x5 but the last one is always a failure, whilst I can do 40kg fairly comfortably... Frustrating as progress is slow but there is progress at least. Stick at it marra.

You're at around the same point as me. I can do 42.5 x5 but the last one is always a failure, whilst I can do 40kg fairly comfortably... Frustrating as progress is slow but there is progress at least. Stick at it marra.
I actually really enjoy shoulder press so I'm not getting frustrated. Part of the struggle this morning was because it was my early pre-work workout (5.30 AM) so I was not long out of bed and hadn't had anything to eat. I had it in my mind that it was going to be a struggle, possibly even fail but I just managed to do all the reps. Next time on 45 won't be that early in the morning so will maybe just do it. But after that 47.5 seems very daunting.

Like I said, there is a seated bench in my gym which I really like too so may revert to that anyway. I was up to 45 on that before I changed to the standing version.

I actually really enjoy shoulder press so I'm not getting frustrated. Part of the struggle this morning was because it was my early pre-work workout (5.30 AM) so I was not long out of bed and hadn't had anything to eat. I had it in my mind that it was going to be a struggle, possibly even fail but I just managed to do all the reps. Next time on 45 won't be that early in the morning so will maybe just do it. But after that 47.5 seems very daunting.

Like I said, there is a seated bench in my gym which I really like too so may revert to that anyway. I was up to 45 on that before I changed to the standing version.
I've never tried doing seated, there's a few lads in our gym, who do it on the smith.

I've never tried doing seated, there's a few lads in our gym, who do it on the smith.
I like doing it seated. You obviously don't have to use other muscle groups to steady yourself so can lift more.

The smith machine was something else I have in mind but I tend to avoid them. Genuinely think I've only used it once. They do seem popular for shoulder press though.

I like doing it seated. You obviously don't have to use other muscle groups to steady yourself so can lift more.

The smith machine was something else I have in mind but I tend to avoid them. Genuinely think I've only used it once. They do seem popular for shoulder press though.
I might give it a go after this, I've been doing standing for around 12 months now so working a seated version in might help me progress.

Managed 45 x 5 no problem today. Followed by 40 x 6 then 37.5 x 8. Very pleased with that because I envisaged it being very difficult.

Next workout is 45 x 5, 42.5 x 6, 40 x 8. The workout after will be 47.5 x 5 which seems much less daunting than it did a couple of workouts ago. In fact, I'm really looking forward to it.

I've been stuck at 42.5kg for about 2 months now, just can't get beyond it so I've started doing a lot more shoulder exercises around it. Trying to take the principles of this bench-press increasing workout and translating it to OHP - https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/six-week-bench-press-solution.html For those interested, this really helped me increase my bench too.
That bench press programme has worked really well for me, I am on week 5 of the 6 week plan to get a new 1RM.

Hopefully when I try it in 2 weeks I will have added 5kg to my 1RM. I reckon I can soon break 100kg based on 80kg body weight.

Back