Overclocking Advice

Anyone do this?

I've just tried overclocking my i7 6700K from 4GHz to 4.5GHz on core and cache and the benchmark score actually dropped. :eek:

I used Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility. Am I doing something wrong?

what were the temps looking like when you were running the benchmark?

and what was task manager saying for the core speeds while running?

Probably caused the chip to overheat, and the automatic thermal throttle kicked in.
Make sure you're closely watching your temps during the testing. And don't use more over-voltage than you need.

Modern CPUs have automatic cut-out protection to stop you doing any permanent damage. It does lower the lifespan of the chip though.

depends on the cooler you put on it. It's the temperature that kills it not the clock speed.

Anyone do this?

I've just tried overclocking my i7 6700K from 4GHz to 4.5GHz on core and cache and the benchmark score actually dropped. :eek:

I used Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility. Am I doing something wrong?

Overclocking isn't what it used to be. In years gone by a cpu ran at a set speed constantly, you overclock that and the overclock is that speed regardless. These days we have base and boost clocks. So if your machine is sitting there doing nothing it'll run at it's base clock (or lower), when you put something heavy through it the clock speed ramps up to the boost clock. Depending on the temp and actually cpu it will boost upto different speeds and on different numbers of cores. I haven't done anything with overclocking for a lot of years now, but maybe getting the boost clock higher was actually only on 1 or 2 cores and the others were considerably slower. So say after overclock core 1 is at 4.5ghz, 2 at 4ghz, 3 and 4 were at 3ghz. Before overclock all 4 were running at 4.2ghz.

depends on the cooler you put on it. It's the temperature that kills it not the clock speed.
That's what I meant. Modern CPUs have thermal sensors to shut them down when it gets too hot.

Overclocking isn't what it used to be. In years gone by a cpu ran at a set speed constantly, you overclock that and the overclock is that speed regardless. These days we have base and boost clocks. So if your machine is sitting there doing nothing it'll run at it's base clock (or lower), when you put something heavy through it the clock speed ramps up to the boost clock. Depending on the temp and actually cpu it will boost upto different speeds and on different numbers of cores. I haven't done anything with overclocking for a lot of years now, but maybe getting the boost clock higher was actually only on 1 or 2 cores and the others were considerably slower. So say after overclock core 1 is at 4.5ghz, 2 at 4ghz, 3 and 4 were at 3ghz. Before overclock all 4 were running at 4.2ghz.
The app I was running was reporting that the overclocking was being applied to all cores equally.

I've decided to stop mucking about with it anyway. :oops:

The app I was running was reporting that the overclocking was being applied to all cores equally.
Sounds like you've dipped your toes in, but now you need to really work it out - its good fun tbh.

Go to Overlockers forums though, they'll put you right. Usually a lot of benefit to an overclock. I know my last desktop CPU was OC'd from 3.5 to about 4.5Ghz and was totally stable. They sold a "premium" version of that chip for about 5 times the price I paid, that ran at that exact speed!

That's what I meant. Modern CPUs have thermal sensors to shut them down when it gets too hot.

what were you trying to get out of it? a couple of extra frames in certain games? your better off overclocking your graphics card if that is the case. Most games aren't CPU limited by a 6700k. Do you have a decent cooler to keep the temps under control?

I had a quick look for you: and was pointed to 2 articles

what were you trying to get out of it? a couple of extra frames in certain games? your better off overclocking your graphics card if that is the case. Most games aren't CPU limited by a 6700k. Do you have a decent cooler to keep the temps under control?
Yip, once you have a nice, stable, cool-enough CPU OC, the next step is to crack on doing the same with the GPU!

I can't see any point replacing that CPU, its still perfectly decent, but hey, a 20% improvement in processing never hurts!!!

Last edited:
I had a quick look for you: and was pointed to 2 articles

Yip, once you have a nice, stable, cool-enough CPU OC, the next step is to crack on doing the same with the GPU!

One thing that bugs the life out of me is that my 6700 and 6700k are so different. When I got mine I thought the K variants were just unlocked versions. Turns out they run quite a few mhz slower also. Not that I had the option to buy a 6700k via work but still.

Thanks for the advice, lads. To be honest I don't have any burning need to o/c either the CPU or GPU at this point as every game I have runs smooth on max settings but I do love to have a tinker under the hood every now and then.

My system is i7 6700k (water cooled) with a GTX 1070 OC and 16GB RAM so it should be good for a while yet.

Thanks for the advice, lads. To be honest I don't have any burning need to o/c either the CPU or GPU at this point as every game I have runs smooth on max settings but I do love to have a tinker under the hood every now and then.

My system is i7 6700k (water cooled) with a GTX 1070 OC and 16GB RAM so it should be good for a while yet.
Do it!

Back