Over hyped films

Independence Day was reasonably popular when it came out and Avatar was successful and even nominated for best picture. The popular consensus of Phantom Menace was that it was an absolute steaming heap of shit. Mind you, there are people who defend the prequels now but I put that down to some kind of mental delusion.

That may be the consensus, but it was also extremely popular when it came out which is the criteria you've used for Independence Day. I'm pretty sure the popular consensus is also that Indpendence Day and Avatar are crap too.

I think the defending the prequels was just done as another way to attack the latest ones. Personally it boggles my mind that anyone could have written scripts as bad as the prequels and then been allowed to film them without someone pointing out how terrible they are.
Enemy at the Gates - a war film for girls.

Is it over-hyped? Barely seems to get a mention in conversations these days.

I think the defending the prequels was just done as another way to attack the latest ones. Personally it boggles my mind that anyone could have written scripts as bad as the prequels and then been allowed to film them without someone pointing out how terrible they are.

I think parts of SW III are decent. SW II almost unbearable and SW I marginally better.

Agree with this. It was a good film made from an interesting angle but like you said, it just didn`t convey the scale of the whole event or the chaos surrounding it. I likened it to a few people queuing up at an ice cream van at the beach. There was very little contact with the Germans either and felt it was a little too arty to be a great war film.

And of course Harry Styles was in it.

No Country for Old men

Shut your whore mouth.

Apocalypse now. Give me Platoon over that anytime.

Agreed, and Full Metal Jacket for that matter.
This is an example of when everyone at least quite likes a film and no one really thinks it's shit, which generates this weight of mass opinion. It puts it ahead, especially on things like IMDb and so on, of films that a lot of people absolutely love but others didn't get on with

Enjoyed the pod btw, watching Blow Out tonight. 👍

Last edited:
On the flip side I think Solo and Rogue 1 got far too much hate. Quite like both of them.

I thought a lot of people loved Rogue One, especially because it included a lot of stuff that's "canon"?

I wasn't struck on it myself. It was well done but it was basically just an exercise in joining the dots between the prequels and the start of Ep4.

1917, well made but boring.
Dunkirk, well made but didn't get the sheer scale of it for me, looked more like a couple of coachloads of the beaches.
Thought both were very disappointing, especially 1917. With todays technology it was an excellent opportunity to depict the sheer scale and violence of the First World War, but some how skirted around it, and contained some very school boy acting.

Back