outer hebrides

This is a little gem! Tolsta Chaolais is on the west coast of Lewis, near some prehistoric stone circles and a genuine iron-age settlement at Bosta Bay. Sandy and Ali are English, retired there to croft, and they produce properly matured, wild raised hogget and mutton (So So delicious! Don't confuse this with tough-as-boots mutton from ewes who have lambed ten times!) They do, or did, B&B and also have a croft to rent. You won't regret it.
[email protected]

I know theirs a few photographers on here that have probably been

so starting in oban, ferry to Barra, then onto the uists then over to harris and lewis then back to the mainland

really looking for recomendations of places to stay in the islands...cottages/self catering, B&B's or hotels
This and the spey valley whiskey tour are areas on my bucket list marra..looking forward to seeing some of the replies from those with knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
Josie jump is fit, the original was more fit.

The lad in the pink castle is very friendly.
Wrong. New Josie was more fit. Fact.

so starting in oban, ferry to Barra, then onto the uists then over to harris and lewis then back to the mainland

really looking for recomendations of places to stay in the islands...cottages/self catering, B&B's or hotels
Wildcamp, especially on Barra and the Uists.

When are you going?

Wrong. New Josie was more fit. Fact.

Wildcamp, especially on Barra and the Uists.

When are you going?
not till next september...Oban and skye booked this year this year, then island hopping next year..year after that I am 50 and its Islay and a week of whisky with friends (mates missus doesnt like the stuff so we have a driver !)

I just figure the pound will be in the toilet by then so may as well spend it on seafood and getting pissed!

Go brown trout fishing on North Uist. Visit the tweed weavers on Harris/Lewis - buy it if it’s your thing (it’s mine). Horse riding on the long sands of one of the islands, can’t remember which. Beachcombing on the long beaches (again) - first landfall of thousands of Atlantic miles, some wonderful things get washed up. Watch the planes land and take off at the airport that’s actually ... a long beach.

Hopefully the island doesn’t shutdown on a Sunday now and have moved with the times.
Barbecues and hanging washing on the line was a big no no when I was there ( a few years back )
Council even decided to chain the bairns swings up so they couldn’t be used on a Sunday.

But lovely place, amazing beaches and the butt of Lewis is a canny spot I’d imagine to get some frames.
Make sure ya syrup is firmly stuck down though it gets a tad windy.

It hasn't changed. The place comes to a standstill of a Sunday. Last time we were there, the local crofter had to call a town meeting to allow him to dispatch a sheep that had become badly tangled in barbed wire. A f***ing meeting to fire one round on a Sunday.

If you like Gin, then get a bottle of Harris Gin from the distillery when you get off the ferry, lovely stuff.

Some fantastic beaches on Lewis. Me and the dog would walk for hours, exploring a new beach every day.

Last edited:
Go brown trout fishing on North Uist. Visit the tweed weavers on Harris/Lewis - buy it if it’s your thing (it’s mine). Horse riding on the long sands of one of the islands, can’t remember which. Beachcombing on the long beaches (again) - first landfall of thousands of Atlantic miles, some wonderful things get washed up. Watch the planes land and take off at the airport that’s actually ... a long beach.
I will be taking my fly gear with me...it always travels with me in scotland

sea trout good apparently as well in september up there

Luskantire (spelled wrong probably) on Harris is the famous long, white sandy one. Going up there next week but didn't want to make the op weljel, and thats on the must do list. Taking the campervan up so hoping we can slope a night overlooking it.

I will be taking my fly gear with me...it always travels with me in scotland

sea trout good apparently as well in september up there
Best brown trout fishing in the world on North Uist, or so I was told and no reason to disagree given the beauties we landed.

Back