Out of Pakistan tour

terrible statement that mind

If its for security say that and nothing else

reads to me like players dont wanna go due to crowded schedule

If thats the reason then pick 15 lads who wanna go

its either one reason or the other, it cant be both

Not great from ECB that IMO
Serious and credible threat was why NZ pulled out, I suspect this may have been something similar

The point being that if we are boycotting the Pakistan series because of their links to funding iffy organisations with nefarious agendas then we are on shaky ground (UAE could also fit in to this).

The reasons given for not touring are player welfare with a wishy washy security concern, not external political funding. I think we’ve shafted them
Do you think boycotting SA because of Apartheid was dodgy ground?

Do you think boycotting SA because of Apartheid was dodgy ground?

No. Don’t want to head off on a tangent here but that was a direct action against the regime of the country we were boycotting. The reasons were clear and unambiguous.

If the ECB came out now and said we’re boycotting the Pakistan tour because the governing regime have some links with the Taliban then that’s something that could be discussed (I’d argue it was nonsense given that is something that had been known about for some time).

But theyre not saying that. They’ve given a wishy washy statement with references to security and players mental wellbeing and it seems like a bit of a stitch up to me.

Serious and credible threat was why NZ pulled out, I suspect this may have been something similar

it’s not mate

not related

No. Don’t want to head off on a tangent here but that was a direct action against the regime of the country we were boycotting. The reasons were clear and unambiguous.

If the ECB came out now and said we’re boycotting the Pakistan tour because the governing regime have some links with the Taliban then that’s something that could be discussed (I’d argue it was nonsense given that is something that had been known about for some time).

But theyre not saying that. They’ve given a wishy washy statement with references to security and players mental wellbeing and it seems like a bit of a stitch up to me.

they’re not going as the players don’t wanna go

simple as that

that’s fine but they should have sent a team or at least explored it

it’s not about the quality of games it’s about what it represents

how can it be more dangerous than what the Pakistan team did last year? People forget how unknown it was at the time

the more I think about it the worse it becomes
Tough to argue with this article.

just a terribly ran organization

all succsss England have had is despite that not because of it
That article by dobell is spot on and I’m usually not a fan
You'd struggle to get 15 players to go imo. Can't blame them either.

you wouldn’t like

it’s a 4 day tour with 1 day quarantine

youd have players lining up

I reckon the majority of Durham players would go for starters

Last edited:
Good. Their fans are crying its for political reasons, like giving financial and military aid to the Taliban isn't an utterly reprehensible thing. I hope no-one plays them.

There is a number of reasons at play here..Firstly Imran Khan has publicly backed the brutal Taliban regime, that’s the same Imran Khan who is head of Pakistan cricket and recently appointed the coach. People say politics and sport shouldn’t mix, but that’s exactly what Imran Khan has done. Then the Brutal Taliban took over next door, the same people that were hiding in Quetta for a decade with Bin Laden and Pakistan did nothing about it. And then the Kiwi’s say they received a specific threat highlighted by their intelligence agency…How could anyone expect England to go there given the threats to the kiwis. Right decision was made, can’t risk lives for a game of cricket.

There is a number of reasons at play here..Firstly Imran Khan has publicly backed the brutal Taliban regime, that’s the same Imran Khan who is head of Pakistan cricket and recently appointed the coach. People say politics and sport shouldn’t mix, but that’s exactly what Imran Khan has done. Then the Brutal Taliban took over next door, the same people that were hiding in Quetta for a decade with Bin Laden and Pakistan did nothing about it. And then the Kiwi’s say they received a specific threat highlighted by their intelligence agency…How could anyone expect England to go there given the threats to the kiwis. Right decision was made, can’t risk lives for a game of cricket.

Have the ECB just discovered all this RE Imran Khan? Did someone at the ECB just wake up and say ‘fuck, remember the time when Bin Laden hid in Pakistan? Best not go’’?

If it was do with the security threat the ECB would have gone hard with that line in the statement. They didn’t. Because it’s not why they’re not going.

Have the ECB just discovered all this RE Imran Khan? Did someone at the ECB just wake up and say ‘fuck, remember the time when Bin Laden hid in Pakistan? Best not go’’?

If it was do with the security threat the ECB would have gone hard with that line in the statement. They didn’t. Because it’s not why they’re not going.

Did the Taliban just take over next door which was endorsed by khan? Did the kiwis just receive a specific threat while they were in the country?

Did the Taliban just take over next door which was endorsed by khan? Did the kiwis just receive a specific threat while they were in the country?

The first point is completely and utterly irrelevant.

The second point could be valid if the FCO changed guidelines on travel and visitation in Pakistan and if there was any advice given about travel to the area. That hasn’t happened. This is an ECB fudge; I can’t see how anyone can be defending the decision taken.

Dobells gone right off on one about it - can't disagree with a word.

Tough to argue with this article.

Beat me to it

Endorsed is a strong word.
That said - the UK endorses all sorts of dodgy governments for their own benefit. Egypt's military coup of the democratic government was backed by the UK, Saudi and UAE's oppressive dictators, Israel is running an apartheid regime, and the US has more blood on its hands than any of them. What's more, none of this was the reason - they just basically said they don't feel like it and binned it off for the IPL. The foreign office is rebuking the team in the video above which is pretty surprising to me - and not all in line with this theory.

Also the kiwis aren't sharing details of the threat with anyone, including the Pakistani government, which is beyond bizarre. British foreign office says all is good and fine for the tour.

Last edited:
Yeah, they did

fear creates fear sadly.

Bollocks like IMO, not fro you, just their excuse

they cant be arsed to go, even for 4 days, they wanna stay in the IPL, thats the reality

Just like they wanted to go to the Big Bash and get out of South Africa

Its a scandal really this like, we have totally shafted Pakistan, and i am loving the off the cuff comments by their new chief executive

its not very often even people like Athers are so critical of ECB and the players

We really owed Pakistan, they saved us a fortune, could we have afforded to keep the likes or Morgan and Roy on huge salaries with no imcome for a year? who knows, buts incredibly selfish IMO.

I just cant understand why the ECB didnt send some sort of team, people are just so naive if they think 15 players wouldnt have travelled, they would, this is their career and a time to take opportunities,

I am in a whatsapp group with a cricketer who has played for England, ( I dont know him personally), as he is in my fantasy football league, and he said he would have gone no questions asked.

Thats just 1 random player, there will be countless others

I genuinely dont understand why they didnt even attempt to get a team together

Last edited:
Bollocks like IMO, not fro you, just their excuse

they cant be arsed to go, even for 4 days, they wanna stay in the IPL, thats the reality

Just like they wanted to go to the Big Bash and get out of South Africa

Its a scandal really this like, we have totally shafted Pakistan, and i am loving the off the cuff comments by their new chief executive

its not very often even people like Athers are so critical of ECB and the players

We really owed Pakistan, they saved us a fortune, could we have afforded to keep the likes or Morgan and Roy on huge salaries with no imcome for a year? who knows, buts incredibly selfish IMO.

I just cant understand why the ECB didnt send some sort of team, people are just so naive if they think 15 players wouldnt have travelled, they would, this is their career and a time to take opportunities,

I am in a whatsapp group with a cricketer who has played for England, ( I dont know him personally), as he is in my fantasy football league, and he said he would have gone no questions asked.

Thats just 1 random player, there will be countless others

I genuinely dont understand why they didnt even attempt to get a team together

There was a pretty deep English contingent playing in the PSL in Pakistan last time around. I think 12 or 13. I agree that there would have been no shortage of players. Some of the players of Asian heritage like Moeen and Rashid have especially relished the opportunity.

Back