Out of date chicken...

Status
Not open for further replies.

never tried chicken , buy beer in bulk (when its cheap) and that's fine when out of date. store the beer in loft & by mistake left kipper's up in loft for 5 days & smelt like a dead person :lol: cooked it was fine, but kippers are smoked & curred and can last for days

According to Ms Blythman,fermented food such as German sauerkraut and Korean kimchi are safe as as they are essentially food which has been preserved through salting, curing or drying.

She also said that hard cheeses, such as cheddar, are safe to eat after their use-by dates.

'Even if it's turned mouldy on the outside, the exterior can just be cut off and the interior consumed. The same principle applies to bread,' she said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-2978826/Ten-foods-safely-eat-use-dates-revealed.html
The bread thing is wrong - the mould you see on the outside permeates deep into the loaf.

Re. mould on cheese and bread: you do realise that mould is not a bacterium and is not necessarily harmful, eh? Penicillium is a mould and is used to make penicillin. The blue in blue cheese is mould and tastes lush.

Just because something has mould on it doesn't mean it's bad.

I have to admit mind that bread mould doesn't taste too good. But I don't think it will harm you.

Re. mould on cheese and bread: you do realise that mould is not a bacterium and is not necessarily harmful, eh? Penicillium is a mould and is used to make penicillin. The blue in blue cheese is mould and tastes lush.

Just because something has mould on it doesn't mean it's bad.

I have to admit mind that bread mould doesn't taste too good. But I don't think it will harm you.

see , moldy cheese I would eat, you can cut the mold off

moldy chicken I would chuck out

Sure all the heat in the slow cooking will kill of the bacteria. Wasn’t curry invented to mask the taste of off meat? Heat kills lots of bacteria
I thought with white meat it's the rot itself rather than the bacteria growth.

I'd eat most foods past the date but chicken is the one that worries me. If it's past it's sell by date I normally box it up and use it for fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back