Our record with/without Lynden Gooch this season

He was massive for us in the first half of last season. I know Maja and Maguire were also as important however Gooch started the season excellently before going off the boil for whatever reason. If we don’t go up this year I can’t imagine we’ll keep hold of him
A lot of championship teams would have him i think

Not surprised at his quality. He’s one of only 2 players we’ve got who’s played in the premiership (I think), and while he didn’t make waves he didn’t look completely out of his depth. I love the fact that he’s always trying to drive forward even though he sometimes doesn’t get any joy.

If him and Maguire stay fit I honestly think we’ll go up

I think we might struggle to hold onto Gooch next season if we don't go up
Easily worth a couple a of million quid to a championship team, he'd do well at somewhere like Derby, Leeds or Fulham

Good player. Always rated him higher than honeyman when they were both breaking through. Big asset for us, scores goals, and works very hard. Think when he has struggled he has been playing through injuries.

If he stays fit we've a great chance.

I rate gooch highly especially in this division..one of the best in league maybe..I really think our upturn in results isn't nesecarrilly pp suddenly getting it right but the return of gooch.his game creates a lot of space for others and brings them into game more and he is a bit more football intelligent than others making it easier for team mates.def think his return has improved results despite Parkinson not because..same as I think we'll win league despite pp not because of him

My fear is that he usually goes in bursts of 2 - 3 months of great form, then 2-3 months of average form.

Just hope he doesn't burn himself out at the business end of the season.

Unfortunately, we don't have many match winners so it is difficult to give him a rest.
Bang on^^

Haven’t looked, but I’m guessing you’d get a similar out outcome for Charlie Wyke?

Parkinson signed him previously, I reckon he’ll have been gutted when he got injured in his first game. Then comes the shit run.

Last edited:
He's certainly a crucial player for us along with Maguire.

I find it interesting that he started last season like a steam train then it all went to pot for him when a certain other individual became a focal point for the side (you could make a similar case for Maguire too).

Haven’t looked, but I’m guessing you’d get a similar out outcome for Charlie Wyke?

Parkinson signed him previously, I reckon he’ll have been gutted when he got injured in his first game. Then comes the shit run.
Tried to - don't think he's actually signed him before. Otherwise I think you're right.

Record in all competitions with Gooch starting: Played 24, Won 14, Drawn 7, Lost 3.
Points per game in league with Gooch starting: 1.95

vs

Record in all competitions without Gooch starting: Played 15, Won 4, Drawn 4, Lost 7.
Points per game in league without Gooch starting: 1.00

He's been brilliant for us this season, underrated player.
He’s been very good this season. The key being his fitness.

Gooch has been a key player since he came back to form, but he was missing during much of PP's adjustment period when our results were poor - so that does perhaps exaggerate the with/without stats to an extent you could argue, but the comparison is still valid.
Cause and effect mate

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t rate him, to be honest.

He’s always been a decent player, just needed a bit more consistency which he seems to have found.
he got far more abuse on here than was ever justfied..
Absolutely.

He’d be fine in the Championship as well.
he was a flop in the championship last time he was there..and he was younger and thinner then..
the quality of replies on this thread is universally top class..

Last edited:

Back