Our local hospital just declared a critical incident due to low oxygen

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

This is also speculation.

Thank you. It's like a piece of the safety net that you take completely for granted is suddenly no longer there. It shakes your world view just that little bit. However, me and mine are in good health, we're being sensible, and there's no reason why we should need NHS emergency care in the near future.
everything's speculation until you know what's gone on. i was simply speculating what might be wrong as was the other poster.
just hope it's a very temporary situation.
Lots of people posting on here who have no idea how oxygen supply in hospitals works.
i'd assume it gets delivered by tankers to storage tanks? i'm quite happy to be proved wrong mind, just interested.

Last edited:
This is also speculation.

Thank you. It's like a piece of the safety net that you take completely for granted is suddenly no longer there. It shakes your world view just that little bit. However, me and mine are in good health, we're being sensible, and there's no reason why we should need NHS emergency care in the near future.
Dying to stop the boys teararsing around the house and garden so they donā€™t fall and break something or bang a head, is exhausting at the min. Youā€™re right, we take it totally for granted.

It's reasonable to assume it will be some sort of malfunction rather than running out imminently.
No it's not. It's a real issue that hospitals aren't geared up to run all their ventilators at full capacity (as it's never been needed) at the same time. Never mind the additional ones aswell. You can't just plumb in bigger gas pipes and have unlimited pressure and treatment for this particular virus obviously needs high oxygen flow. Also their isn't an unlimited supply of oxygen available.

Dying to stop the boys teararsing around the house and garden so they donā€™t fall and break something or bang a head, is exhausting at the min. Youā€™re right, we take it totally for granted.
Gardening and dismantling a chicken coop with my boy yesterday was an interesting experience- normally Iā€™d be fairly relaxed that heā€™s not going to hurt himself too much and that itā€™s all a Learning experience-and would have let him smash the shit out of the old coop, dismantled screw by screw yesterday. Do I fuck want to have to go to A and E, risk infection and more importantly put extra pressure on NHS.

No it's not. It's a real issue that hospitals aren't geared up to run all their ventilators at full capacity (as it's never been needed) at the same time. Never mind the additional ones aswell. You can't just plumb in bigger gas pipes and have unlimited pressure and treatment for this particular virus obviously needs high oxygen flow. Also their isn't an unlimited supply of oxygen available.
It seemed it was a technical issue.

Ultimately it's about supply and demand. I wonder if this was covered in the never published / never actioned Cygnus pandemic report from 2016.

Ultimately it's about supply and demand. I wonder if this was covered in the never published / never actioned Cygnus pandemic report from 2016.
Not many seem to get that, not just now but in terms of medicine etc from a general day to day aspect.
Thing is those that should know better don't get it either.

Back