Our Friends In The North

yeah, Peter Vaughan was great, wasn't he?
McDowell played quite a menacing part, I recall.
Mel off Benidorm had a bit part, too!
One of the miners strike scenes used sound to great effect, when there was a scrap in that narrow street. I don't know what that type of street is called but you see a lot of them in Easington and the like (path down the middle and long gardens)
Anyway, those battle scenes had the viewer a bit too involved at times - it was like the BBC's own version of the first scene in Saving Private Ryan!

aye, Gina M is a Seaham girl, I think.

All the three males did have very convincing Geordie accents, though.
I watched my DVD set during breakdown and it was easy to see why Craig, Strong & Eccleston became as big as they did!
Peterlee I think? Eccleston was already big, had been in a good few dramas (Cracker?) but the others were still up and coming.

I watched my DVD set during breakdown and it was easy to see why Craig, Strong & Eccleston became as big as they did!

They all did pretty well out of the show - we got a Dr Who, a James Bond, Hollywood's go-to gut to play a villain and the narrator of Premier Passions.

Wigtastic!

Seriously loved it at the time. Thought Daniel Craig was superb and his Dad terrifiying. They used music really well too.

Wigtastic!

Seriously loved it at the time. Thought Daniel Craig was superb and his Dad terrifiying. They used music really well too.
i've not seen it since it was first broadcast, but i seem to remember they "age" daniel craig really well, especially the way his character is downtrodden by the end (if i recall)?

yeah, Peter Vaughan was great, wasn't he?
McDowell played quite a menacing part, I recall.
Mel off Benidorm had a bit part, too!
One of the miners strike scenes used sound to great effect, when there was a scrap in that narrow street. I don't know what that type of street is called but you see a lot of them in Easington and the like (path down the middle and long gardens)
Anyway, those battle scenes had the viewer a bit too involved at times - it was like the BBC's own version of the first scene in Saving Private Ryan!
Dont forget the pisshead dad off rita, sue and bob too, surprisingly he played another pisshead , giving Geordie a hiding before he fucked off to London , good actor by the way , excellent in riff raff , ken loach film

i've the box set too and Strong and Craig were unknown and sounded local ,Strong deffo .. watched a clip recently and the wigs looked bad though

Thanks for the heads up Ben, I shall watch that đź‘Ť
Tuxedo Junction ! Some daft nights in there .
i've the box set too and Strong and Craig were unknown and sounded local ,Strong deffo .. watched a clip recently and the wigs looked bad though
Mark Strong has never stopped being a hit in the USA. Movie after movie . Can play any role ,whereas Eccleston is limited.

Last edited:

Back