Our famous London invasions

I know marra, that's the point I've been making. People are saying going your ends the day before makes no difference to the atmosphere when clearly it does. If people get fucked the night before again the atmosphere will be shite again.
You keep repeating this.
So you won't mind me repeating myself again.
You've already said that the atmosphere at Wembley v liverpool, Charlton and City was great, even though we all did the London thing the night before.
The reason why the atmosphere v pompey was shite (and it wasn't, it was fine) is cos it was a nothing match.
1300 fans made more noise on Thurs then 2800 v pompey before christmas.
Thr bigger the game the better the atmosphere.
When we win the FA Cup in 2023, we will take over London, fans will be passing out in TS and it'll be thr biggest piss up ever, and the atmosphere will still be amazing as its a big game. However 3 month later when we lose in the community shield, the TS on the sat night will be quiet, and so will the atmosphere.
Fans make more noise when they're passionate about something
The checkatrade wasnt really it

Last edited:
There was 20k in Trafalgar Square for the checkatrade. I reckon about 5k for this. Other than on here, I've heard of no one going down on the Saturday. Few going down I know and stopping the Sunday night, but most doing it in a day.

What's the general consensus here then. I get what people are saying about TS won't be the same etc, but at the same time I also thing it would be abit shite if we are spread all over London. A new meeting point perhaps? Authorities will probably have TS closed off anyway!

What's the general consensus here then. I get what people are saying about TS won't be the same etc, but at the same time I also thing it would be abit shite if we are spread all over London. A new meeting point perhaps? Authorities will probably have TS closed off anyway!
If you're going, then go to Trafalgar Square I would say if you want somewhere to meet or gather. Still be SAFC there, just not anywhere as near as last time.

I think it’s great that you lot have a tradition everytime you go to wembley , on the very rare occasions we get to go we all ways march on mass from Loftus Road carrying a coffin with the oppos colours on, in 82 and 86 we had thousands doing the march , we still did for the play off final but it’s was no where near as good as the 80s
Keep your traditions going I say take over the gaff, get p1ssed and let everyone know what your about and that your Sunderland
It’s a lot better than clubs like city , Chelsea etc who just turn up in silly jesters hats who hardly raise a cheer if they lift the cup or score

You keep repeating this.
You've already said that the atmosphere at Wembley v liverpool, Charlton and City was great, even though we all did the London thing the night before.
The reason why the atmosphere v pompey was shite (and it wasn't, it was fine) is cos it was a nothing match.
When we win the FA Cup in 2023, we will take over London, fans will be passing out in TS and it'll be thr biggest piss up ever, and the atmosphere will still be amazing as its a big game. However 3 month later when we lose in the community shield, the TS on the sat night will be quiet, and so will the atmosphere.

When did I say it was great against those sides? I've never thought much of the atmosphere from us at Wembley tbh (definitely a spell in the Charlton game we were good tbf). Might be cos it's so big. Might be we are a nervous crowd? Might be cos we are often shit on the big stage? But the checkatrade game was the only time I've noticed loads looking absolutely fucked, asleep in their seats etc. Plenty on this forum saying they were ruined, so goosed singing was the last thing on their mind etc.

Think about it logically. If people get hammered all day/night are thry usually in a fit state to do much the next day? People don't become immune to hangovers just because a match is on.
But if what you are saying is true it should be class at the play off final. I think it'll not be unless we are cruising. Fingers crossed its tremendous.

Last edited:
Mentioned with a chuckle again tonight that "Sunderland will no doubt come down in massive numbers and make London theirs for the weekend"

Loads on here talking about not having invasion weekend 3, haway lads, it would be wrong to let down our public and the MET love us man :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It seems to me from a sample of lads I know quite a few are not going to this one, after being right up for the checkatrade. I had to persuade my mates to go for two nights, they preferred down and back in a day. Fuck that, I m treating this as though its my last hurrah at Wembley, it might well be at 61 year old it wouldn t be a surprise. Down early on Saturday morning, Trafalgar Square on Saturday night ( don't go totally mad, yeah right) up early for breakfast and off to some Wetherspoons on Sunday morning. I thought the atmosphere in our end was very good first half when we were on top . They were better second half cos they were on top. People saying save your celebrations for the Sunday night are entitled to their opinion but mine is that I will celebrate all weekend, I will be contributing as hard as I can to the atmosphere right behind our goal row 13 I think. Yes I ll be rough but so what its the pinnacle of a supporters life ti see your team win at Wembley. I was there in 1973 and feel privelaged to have seen it, I few dissapointments since but lets hope this time we can all say we have seen SAFC win at Wembley.

It seems to me from a sample of lads I know quite a few are not going to this one, after being right up for the checkatrade. I had to persuade my mates to go for two nights, they preferred down and back in a day. Fuck that, I m treating this as though its my last hurrah at Wembley, it might well be at 61 year old it wouldn t be a surprise. Down early on Saturday morning, Trafalgar Square on Saturday night ( don't go totally mad, yeah right) up early for breakfast and off to some Wetherspoons on Sunday morning. I thought the atmosphere in our end was very good first half when we were on top . They were better second half cos they were on top. People saying save your celebrations for the Sunday night are entitled to their opinion but mine is that I will celebrate all weekend, I will be contributing as hard as I can to the atmosphere right behind our goal row 13 I think. Yes I ll be rough but so what its the pinnacle of a supporters life ti see your team win at Wembley. I was there in 1973 and feel privelaged to have seen it, I few dissapointments since but lets hope this time we can all say we have seen SAFC win at Wembley.
100% agree and I'm doing exactly the same thing. Can't wait!

You keep repeating this.
No one really gave a fuck about the checkatrade - I didn’t even go. This is different.

I'm not doing the whole weekend this time around due to work commitments. I really enjoyed Trafalgar Square last time, but now it's been done and I really dont think it could be beat. I'm travelling down early on Sunday so I'll be nice n fit for the game...which wasn't the case last time around...

I think the general consensus is-

Some are going down Saturday
Some are going to Trafalgar Sq.
Many are going just for the day
Some are going for the Sunday night.

Probably a bigger spread than for the Cheka due to us being there the other week (novelty and money worn thin) and us only having a week to get things organised (travel, hotels, money, babysitters, time off work, lasses to keep sweet)

There'll be a few at TS, myself and about 6 others probably, I think but more than likely less than the other week. Doesn't mean that those wanting to have a piss up there cant.

Its not a competion to be better than 2014/1998/1992 etc.. just go and have a laugh.

I'll be in London with family and friends and having a ball, regardless of what cup final it is or what happened 20 years ago

Deffo gonna try keep meself reasonably straight for Sunday morning so I can be in maximum atmosphere creating condition come kick off, but it never works out that way

When did I say it was great against those sides? I've never thought much of the atmosphere from us at Wembley tbh (definitely a spell in the Charlton game we were good tbf). Might be cos it's so big. Might be we are a nervous crowd? Might be cos we are often shit on the big stage? But the checkatrade game was the only time I've noticed loads looking absolutely fucked, asleep in their seats etc. Plenty on this forum saying they were ruined, so goosed singing was the last thing on their mind etc.

Think about it logically. If people get hammered all day/night are thry usually in a fit state to do much the next day? People don't become immune to hangovers just because a match is on.
But if what you are saying is true it should be class at the play off final. I think it'll not be unless we are cruising. Fingers crossed its tremendous.
The worst atmosphere this season was charlton away. Don't think there was a massive piss up the day before.
Actually a lot of the aways have been poorish compared to a few years back.
Dont know I'd it's apathy, my memory or its been hard to get excited about playing league one sides. This was probably reflected in the checkatrade. The final you don't really mind losing.
And aye,logically you'd think that one night on the piss you cant do owt the next day, but you must have been on stag dos, lads weekends away.
Start boozing early and finish about 4,5am, back up the next day feeling rank but a few beers later you're pisssd and on a mission again.
I'm sure the majority can handle getting pisssed the night before then having a few beers Pre match.
There may have been a few sore heads but not 15000 who couldn't sing cos of it!
We have 37000 tickets. A few snowflakes who can't take a beer two days in a row are probably the type who wouldn't sing anyway.
Like I said, if I get leathered the night before, a few beers the next day and I'm pissed again and usually well up for it, as most lads should be

Last edited:
I think it’s great that you lot have a tradition everytime you go to wembley , on the very rare occasions we get to go we all ways march on mass from Loftus Road carrying a coffin with the oppos colours on, in 82 and 86 we had thousands doing the march , we still did for the play off final but it’s was no where near as good as the 80s
Keep your traditions going I say take over the gaff, get p1ssed and let everyone know what your about and that your Sunderland
It’s a lot better than clubs like city , Chelsea etc who just turn up in silly jesters hats who hardly raise a cheer if they lift the cup or score
Nice one mate.

Sunderland started the tradition of marching to London in 1936 though.

I think the general consensus is-

Some are going down Saturday
Some are going to Trafalgar Sq.
Many are going just for the day
Some are going for the Sunday night.

Probably a bigger spread than for the Cheka due to us being there the other week (novelty and money worn thin) and us only having a week to get things organised (travel, hotels, money, babysitters, time off work, lasses to keep sweet)

There'll be a few at TS, myself and about 6 others probably, I think but more than likely less than the other week. Doesn't mean that those wanting to have a piss up there cant.

Its not a competion to be better than 2014/1998/1992 etc.. just go and have a laugh.

I'll be in London with family and friends and having a ball, regardless of what cup final it is or what happened 20 years ago

Deffo gonna try keep meself reasonably straight for Sunday morning so I can be in maximum atmosphere creating condition come kick off, but it never works out that way
Agree fully
I'll be there sat night, but won't be anywhere near as last time for the reasons you said.
For me it's the best thing to do on the eve of a game to stop the nerves.
Still be a few thousand there though, imo.

Last edited:

Back