O'Shea last saturday

He's had a fantastic career and largely an excellent servant to this club.

Correct....it was actually sad to see him struggle so last season even though he was still the best of a very bad bunch. It would seem though that his form is similar for Reading this season...which i guess is no real surprise and though i started this thread it wasnt meant to be a pisstake one...

Reading seem to want to go down. They have been awful for a while now and just dont seem to have any desire to get back to the play offs.

I have a lot of respect for O’Shea. But why that club signed him is a mystery. There’s dinosaur fossils fresher than the mans legs

Crazy how things can swing though. They were a penalty kick away from the Premier League. Instead Huddersfield went up and have had 2 seasons in the top flight. Reading look like they're going backwards. It doesn't help that they keep spending canny wedge on ageing Irishman like.

Should he fuck! He was a disaster last season and IMO has a Niall Quinn type temperament. Nice bloke, will never make a manager. I still haven't got over the shock of him getting player of the season, total joke.

To be fair to him, I don’t think he has either :lol:

Never seen a player so embarrassed/uncomfortable to collect an award

No hard feeling towards him mind, not his fault we couldn’t replace him. He simply shouldn’t have been our mainstay defender for so long.

To be fair to him, I don’t think he has either :lol:

Never seen a player so embarrassed/uncomfortable to collect an award

No hard feeling towards him mind, not his fault we couldn’t replace him. He simply shouldn’t have been our mainstay defender for so long.

O'Shea is a nice bloke, good pro but he was finished. It was madness to give him another year. A blind man could have picked up a better (younger) defender on a free transfer on less wages.

O'Shea is a nice bloke, good pro but he was finished. It was madness to give him another year. A blind man could have picked up a better (younger) defender on a free transfer on less wages.

The problem is that if we only retain players who can start every game then we lose that experience in the club for ever.

That is partly why we are where we are particularly when, in past seasons, we replace them with worse players on higher wages.

The problem is that if we only retain players who can start every game then we lose that experience in the club for ever.

That is partly why we are where we are particularly when, in past seasons, we replace them with worse players on higher wages.

Fair comment, we have bought some dross, none more so than Moyes.

However experience is one thing, finished is another. Last season, with Short largely pulling the plug on cash signings we could ill afford passengers. Unfortunately that's what half our cheap / free signings were. IMO we couldn't afford to waste relatively big wages on someone to warm the bench. We wasted that wage on O'Shea instead of getting someone in capable of doing a decent job. It was the job of our manager and staff to identify a player a few years younger than O'Shea to fill his role and replace him.

Reading seem to want to go down. They have been awful for a while now and just dont seem to have any desire to get back to the play offs.

I have a lot of respect for O’Shea. But why that club signed him is a mystery. There’s dinosaur fossils fresher than the mans legs

If Reading seem to want to go down, then it's no mystery why they signed O'Shea. He'll help them out with that, no problem

Back