Original Jurassic Park still has the best SFX of all time

Effects were amazing. Saw it at the flicks. Got dragged along as I wasn’t arsed but remember being genuinely impressed.

What a pity Spielberg was still in his juvenile phase. Adults getting eaten left and right (especially that irritating tit from Miami Vice) but you knew there was no way the kids would get eaten. Top computer nerds are completely flummoxed when the system shut down but a nine year old lass logs on and saves the day. Should have stuck closer to the plot of the book as Crichton wasn’t nearly as juvenile in his story telling. The set up was handled very well but then the plot just devolved into escaping from the scary monster which has been covered before in Jaws and countless other fillums since.
It's a pretty similar storyline to Westworld, another of Crichton's stories. New idea for a quirky amusement park, the exhibits go wrong and kill people, people run away.

It is though.

Nope.

Jurassic Park is amazing. It holds up brilliantly. But to suggest no one has bettered it in over 25 years is just complete nonsense.

Here's a good video explaining some amazing uses of CGI. Many that you probably would never be able to tell were CGI...

Here is a breakdown of the VFX in Arrival...

Here is another video breaking down the type of CGI David Fincher uses in all of his films. Mindhunter uses tonnes and you would never know...

And if we're going to talk about more obvious, prominent uses of CGI. War for the Planet of the Apes is probably the best CGI work anyone has ever produced. There are a couple of close up shots of Maurice the Orangutan that are unbelievable...

1 minute in on this...

The apes are 100% CGI in this film. It is incredible and far surpasses Jurassic Park (The CGI work, not the film)

It's a pretty similar storyline to Westworld, another of Crichton's stories. New idea for a quirky amusement park, the exhibits go wrong and kill people, people run away.

It's also a pretty similar storyline to Prey, another of Crichton's stories. New idea for a quirky medical nanobot, the nanobot swarms go wrong and kill people, people run away.

Nope.

Jurassic Park is amazing. It holds up brilliantly. But to suggest no one has bettered it in over 25 years is just complete nonsense.

Here's a good video explaining some amazing uses of CGI. Many that you probably would never be able to tell were CGI...

Here is a breakdown of the VFX in Arrival...

Here is another video breaking down the type of CGI David Fincher uses in all of his films. Mindhunter uses tonnes and you would never know...

And if we're going to talk about more obvious, prominent uses of CGI. War for the Planet of the Apes is probably the best CGI work anyone has ever produced. There are a couple of close up shots of Maurice the Orangutan that are unbelievable...

1 minute in on this...

The apes are 100% CGI in this film. It is incredible and far surpasses Jurassic Park (The CGI work, not the film)
It doesn't look real though. It looks like a video-game JP does. CGI lacks weight.

:lol: It's a kids film ffs.
Oh yeah?

But as I noted based on not a kids’ book.
A long time since I read it but Crichton gets quite a bit deeper into chaos theory and why the project was doomed to fail which of course doesn’t make nearly as exciting mass entertainment as kids being chased around by a massive T Rex but makes for a much more interesting story than the done-to-death escape from the monster / slasher / zombie / shark / madman / whatever that the film devolved into after an interesting setup.

Oh yeah?

But as I noted based on not a kids’ book.
A long time since I read it but Crichton gets quite a bit deeper into chaos theory and why the project was doomed to fail which of course doesn’t make nearly as exciting mass entertainment as kids being chased around by a massive T Rex but makes for a much more interesting story than the done-to-death escape from the monster / slasher / zombie / shark / madman / whatever that the film devolved into after an interesting setup.
It's a story about bringing Dinosaurs back to life. Spielberg had the good sense to turn it into an enjoyable family film. And a good job he made of it too. It's hardly a fuckin' think piece.

It's a story about bringing Dinosaurs back to life. Spielberg had the good sense to turn it into an enjoyable family film. And a good job he made of it too. It's hardly a fuckin' think piece.
And if you enjoyed it then good for you.
I just would have preferred a bit more substance than a drawn out chase fillum after such an interesting premise.

That animatronic T-Rex would be a right coup to have as far as movie memorabilia goes. I'm sure I read that half the budget of the film was spent in making it. Good call, all told.

On Channel Five now, 4K on a 65 inch TV and it looks a zillion times better than any modern cgi, particularly how fake Jurassic World and it's beyond awful sequel looked. I know it's mainly models but loads of films did that. Genuinely got to be up there as one of the greatest works of art of all time. Absolute classic.

ive never watched that film in 65million years

Back