Ordering a New Bike, usually get a Boardman but scheme doesn't do Halfords

I got a pinnacle touring bike over a year and a half ago, six or seven spokes on the back wheel broke after about three months so I had to have them all replaced. Not expensive but a pain in the arse still.
For balance though, there has been no other issue and the Schwalbe tyres it came with haven't had one puncture and I have done well over 5k miles on it.
Machine built wheels tend to do that.

Some manufacturer's worse than others (the Gippiemi wheels in supplied with one of my bikes are terrible).

My experience of Schwalbe is the opposite of yours. The puncture resistant Durano on my road bike were so often punctured that I threw then away.

The Racing Ralfs I had on my MTB were about as much use too.

I like Panaracer tyres but they're not as widely available now that the ghastly Schwalbe are everywhere.
Wife looking for a new “ best bike” but so many places have little or no stock...Canyon forget it and the other online sites not much better.
Don't use Canyon.

Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Their customer service is shocking too

Last edited:

Some manufacturer's worse than others (the Gippiemi wheels in supplied with one of my bikes are terrible).

My experience of Schwalbe is the opposite of yours. The puncture resistant Durano on my road bike were so often punctured that I threw then away.

I like Panaracer tyres but they're not as widely available now that the ghastly Schwalbe are everywhere.

Don't use Canyon.

when I kept getting punctures with my Schwalbe it was either the inner tube pinching or there being something inside the tyre that needed to be found and removed

Cycle World handed me a pamphlet yesterday with all the best local cycle routes on it..I’ll pick their brains when I go over this morning.
I'm due back on the hoops shortly.

Stacked my MTB so badly that I was in hospital 8 days at the beginning of May.

Physio are advising 'not yet' but I'm getting impatient.

A good helmet and clothing appropriate for the conditions is my two penneth on top of the other advice.

Don't go aerial!
when I kept getting punctures with my Schwalbe it was either the inner tube pinching or there being something inside the tyre that needed to be found and removed
I tried everything - different tubes, rim tape, levers

I'm tubeless on the big MTB now and that's solved the problem but that bike was supplied with Schwalbe Nobby Nic too.

I'd like to blame them for throwing me off going over that table top in May but it was me own stupid fault really.

Last edited:

Don't use Canyon.

Schwalbe marathon plus tyres are pretty much bomb proof in my experience.
Not cheap and a pain to fit though.....ideal touring / commuting tyre imo...

Conti grand prix are good road tyres....generally you get what you pay for.

Schwalbe marathon plus tyres are pretty much bomb proof in my experience.
Not cheap and a pain to fit though.....ideal touring / commuting tyre imo...

Conti grand prix are good road tyres....generally you get what you pay for.

i'm in the against crowd - i ran Marathons for a while

heavy, pig to fit, not that puncture proof - and to top it all i ordered some 28s to replace my 25s and they were wonky (a bad batch apparently)

swapped to 26mm panaracer gravelkings and have never looked back

i'm in the against crowd - i ran Marathons for a while

heavy, pig to fit, not that puncture proof - and to top it all i ordered some 28s to replace my 25s and they were wonky (a bad batch apparently)

swapped to 26mm panaracer gravelkings and have never looked back

Depends on the bike imo....I run 28 marathons on my genesis croix de fer that's an all round touring commuter bike. Top notch puncture resistance imo.

Wouldn't run them on my road bike in a million years....usually conti's for that bike....

I have loads of motorbike locks for locking up at home and a gold level kryptonite chain for out and about

I forgot to put the lock on it the other week, my fault, was there for days

I've gone with a local shop custom build, but thank you x
You bought one now Cat? Just looking myself and realise Tredz does Boardman Bikes too.

Looking at getting a fairly cheap hybrid for commuting and occasional wood/gentle trail riding. Would like to get a Boardman again but our train station is in the top 3 in the country for stolen bikes so I’m probably best getting a cheaper one and a decent lock. Any recommends? Halfords and Tredz are my shops.
Looking at Carerra - are they any good?

Last edited:
You bought one now Cat? Just looking myself and realise Tredz does Boardman Bikes too.

Looking at getting a fairly cheap hybrid for commuting and occasional wood/gentle trail riding. Would like to get a Boardman again but our train station is in the top 3 in the country for stolen bikes so I’m probably best getting a cheaper one and a decent lock. Any recommends? Halfords and Tredz are my shops.
Looking at Carerra - are they any good?

I've ordered my bike now but thanks.

I've never had my bike stolen but through my stupidity. I'd get Boardman if I was you because I really like them. Just get a locking skewer set for your wheels and saddle and get a full on motorbike style chain lock for the train station and leave it there if you can .
Also get bike insurance from Laka I think it is or Yellow Jersey.

What kinds of problems did you have with your canyon?
The box turned up damaged - they refunded this cost (they normally charge £20 for it)

Delivery was prolonged, they charge for this and wouldn't refund it.

The charging port cable entry seat was poorly located. I advised them the day it arrived and they told me it was "fine". It wasn't fine and used to pop open on a ride. When it eventually broke completely they'd so completely convinced themselves it was fine they simply refused to acknowledge responsibility. So I had it repaired at my own cost at an authorised Shimano dealer (its a Shimano equipped motor eMTB).

The rear wheel and tyre clearance is very tight (6mm at its closest). I told them the mud built up very quickly and had to be cleared every couple of miles in harsh conditions. I also advised that it was likely to cause issues with the rear suspension bushes and they adopted what can only be described as 'a typically high handed teutonic attitude of arrogance'.

The bike has 2 year warranty with 5 years for the frame. Clearly not worth the paper it's written on

They're in court next month.

The box turned up damaged - they refunded this cost (they normally charge £20 for it)

Delivery was prolonged, they charge for this and wouldn't refund it.

The charging port cable entry seat was poorly located. I advised them the day it arrived and they told me it was "fine". It wasn't fine and used to pop open on a ride. When it eventually broke completely they'd so completely convinced themselves it was fine they simply refused to acknowledge responsibility. So I had it repaired at my own cost at an authorised Shimano dealer (its a Shimano equipped motor eMTB).

The rear wheel and tyre clearance is very tight (6mm at its closest). I told them the mud built up very quickly and had to be cleared every couple of miles in harsh conditions. I also advised that it was likely to cause issues with the rear suspension bushes and they adopted what can only be described as 'a typically high handed teutonic attitude of arrogance'.

The bike has 2 year warranty with 5 years for the frame. Clearly not worth the paper it's written on

They're in court next month.
Oh dear, and I thought the problem would something like the Bi-plane aero bars they fit on their gravel bikes… 😬

thanks

I've ordered my bike now but thanks.

I've never had my bike stolen but through my stupidity. I'd get Boardman if I was you because I really like them. Just get a locking skewer set for your wheels and saddle and get a full on motorbike style chain lock for the train station and leave it there if you can .
Also get bike insurance from Laka I think it is or Yellow Jersey.
I tell a lie, it’s literally the top in the country for. BIke theft by some way.

Consider a cheaper second hand one, and buy two good locks if you're leaving it overnight. What distance would you be riding?
I wouldn’t leave it overnight. It’s a 15 min cycle max to the station. Thing is, I’d like to be able to ride it on weekends around local trails so don’t really want a totally rubbish one.

I wouldn’t leave it overnight. It’s a 15 min cycle max to the station. Thing is, I’d like to be able to ride it on weekends around local trails so don’t really want a totally rubbish one.

My mate bought a really good bike but then spray painted it ugly. That worked for him along with skewers and a good lock.

Back