Orange glow over Seaham?

Ive just been past it, its a chemical plant at wilton near redcar. It happens every now and again. Im no expert but ive read its when they have excess gas, a flame shoots out of a tall chimney on the site. They call it flare off i think. It can be seen for miles, last year it was reportedly seen from newcastle airport, thats got to be 60 miles or so. Its some spectacle when you drive past at night, the whole area is lit up, they could turn the street lighting off, turn your headlights off and you'd still be able to drive nee bother.

Ive just been past it, its a chemical plant at wilton near redcar. It happens every now and again. Im no expert but ive read its when they have excess gas, a flame shoots out of a tall chimney on the site. They call it flare off i think. It can be seen for miles, last year it was reportedly seen from newcastle airport, thats got to be 60 miles or so. Its some spectacle when you drive past at night, the whole area is lit up, they could turn the street lighting off, turn your headlights off and you'd still be able to drive nee bother.
Didn't realise it was that far away, I'm just up from the Toll Bar and it looked much closer!

Yes, they are flaring. Could be for a number of reasons. They flared almost continuously for over a week last year when we had that heatwave. The refinery at Mossman did the same which could be seen as faraway as Fife apparently.
Huge amount of energy being converted to light and sound.

It sounds absolutely charming

I've seen it from Chester Moor.

Back