Opticians

It's been a few years since I got a new pair of glasses and can't remember how long it takes. If I have an eye test when I'm home in February, how long will it take them to have me a new pair of glasses made? I don't need owt complicated, I'm just myopic and astigmatic. I'm only back for a week, see.

It's been a few years since I got a new pair of glasses and can't remember how long it takes. If I have an eye test when I'm home in February, how long will it take them to have me a new pair of glasses made? I don't need owt complicated, I'm just myopic and astigmatic. I'm only back for a week, see.

You can normally get them in a few days, if you are only back for a week then maybe plan ahead and book an eye test appointment for your first day back.

Your other alternative is to just take your prescription back to whichever country you are in, as the prescriptions are an international standard.

For example, I got an eye test/ prescription last December and I can buy a new pair of glasses here in Philippines same quality and standard for roughly £100 instead of the £470 I was quoted in UK.

I think most will offer a same day service.

Was it on here that someone told a story about moving in for a kiss with a lady optician when they were getting their eyes tested?
:lol: “Sorry, love, I must have misread the signals!”

You can normally get them in a few days, if you are only back for a week then maybe plan ahead and book an eye test appointment for your first day back.

Your other alternative is to just take your prescription back to whichever country you are in, as the prescriptions are an international standard.

For example, I got an eye test/ prescription last December and I can buy a new pair of glasses here in Philippines same quality and standard for roughly £100 instead of the £470 I was quoted in UK.
Thanks. I think glasses are actually more expensive in Canada than they are in the UK but I’ll have a proper look and decid based on that.

Last edited:

From Sunderland to the Philippines! Married a lerkal yet? Some of my mates are Philippine over here, Nice people, short haha

From Sunderland to the Philippines! Married a lerkal yet? Some of my mates are Philippine over here, Nice people, short haha

Already married to an English woman.

Was it on here that someone told a story about moving in for a kiss with a lady optician when they were getting their eyes tested?

I never saw that one but would like to see that thread :)

:lol: “Sorry, love, I must have misread the signals!”

Thanks. I think glasses are actually more expensive in Canada than they are in the UK but I’ll have a proper look and decid based on that.

No worries, good luck.

Last edited:
Opticians. ..

Robbing kernts.

Sister (no) worked for specsavers, she could get any frame and lenses for about £25 and they were still making a profit.

Vision Express do them in about an hour. They're not cheap, but they are pretty good.

Or get them done online for pennies and have them posted to your house. Glasses Direct even send you a box of 3 frames to try on before you buy.

Vision Express do them in about an hour. They're not cheap, but they are pretty good.

Or get them done online for pennies and have them posted to your house. Glasses Direct even send you a box of 3 frames to try on before you buy.
I went Glasses Direct last time but they fell apart! Not very strong for someone as careless and clumsy as I. :lol: I know the best solution is for me to be more caring of my possessions but it won’t going to happen. I get a discount at Vision Express with my union so maybe that’s the best option. Cheers!

Matt I have to say it mate, Ive tried to resist.

Bi focals by any chance?

Sorry mate sorry.
Oh you are awful, but I like you. ;)

I went Glasses Direct last time but they fell apart! Not very strong for someone as careless and clumsy as I. :lol: I know the best solution is for me to be more caring of my possessions but it won’t going to happen. I get a discount at Vision Express with my union so maybe that’s the best option. Cheers!
As it happens, so did one of my pairs! After 4 months, the arm snapped off. Mind, they were very lightweight ones.
And GD replaced them free of charge, which I thought was canny. Still wearing those ones now and I've learned to be a bit more gentle.

Think I paid £60 ish for a pair of sunglasses and a pair of normal glasses with reactions - Compared to once paying £110 for Vision Express to replace the lenses in a pair of frames I'd bought from them in the past (Gucci frames in perfect nick, so why chuck them?).

As it happens, so did one of my pairs! After 4 months, the arm snapped off. Mind, they were very lightweight ones.
And GD replaced them free of charge, which I thought was canny. Still wearing those ones now and I've learned to be a bit more gentle.

Think I paid £60 ish for a pair of sunglasses and a pair of normal glasses with reactions - Compared to once paying £110 for Vision Express to replace the lenses in a pair of frames I'd bought from them in the past (Gucci frames in perfect nick, so why chuck them?).
I was in Canada already when they broke so I couldn’t get GD to replace them! But to be fair I also got 2 pairs for £60 so can’t complain too much. Used to pay £20 a month for contact lenses with Optical Express until I realised how much money I was pissing away.

I was in Canada already when they broke so I couldn’t get GD to replace them! But to be fair I also got 2 pairs for £60 so can’t complain too much. Used to pay £20 a month for contact lenses with Optical Express until I realised how much money I was pissing away.
Don't fancy laser then?

I do, and don't at the same time lol

Back