Operation, replace part of jaw bone

Wow, I wouldnt mind that voice, I work in a prison :)

😂😂 In all seriousness I couldn't fault the surgeons who did mine, got a plate and 2 rods in holding it all together. 70 internal stitches and 6 hours surgery mind. But, bar eating and drinking once the swelling subsides as long as you are careful you can just plod on as normal

Not Durham prison is it?

Using ribs to replace jaw bone has been done for years but I've never heard of hip or leg bone being used. My first wife had loads of surgery done to her jaw after she fell 3 stories from a building in Rio when she was only 16. Her father who was very rich flew the worlds top maxillofascial surgeon over from Switzerland to Rio to do the operation, he somehow knitted all the broken bits of bone back together and her jaw was as good as new. He said it was the most complicated reconstruction he ever did. Sometimes I wish he'd never bothered after hearing some of the insults that came out of that mouth aimed at me. :(

Used to do this in Wolverhampton, took anywhere up to 18 hours

are they removing the tumour at the same time

I’m happy to pm if you want further advice/details or I could put all the grisly details here

just make sure they explain how to shave your tongue when they use your tibia
My dad has this done as part of a cancer op where they had to cut out his tongue and a chunk of his jawbone. The op seemed to go ok but the cancer got him a few months later

I was gonna like this as it’s pretty much the standard procedure but sorry about your dad

Last edited:
Used to do this in Wolverhampton, took anywhere up to 18 hours

are they removing the tumour at the same time

I’m happy to pm if you want further advice/details or I could put all the grisly details here

just make sure they explain how to shave your tongue when they use your tibia

I was gonna like this as it’s pretty much the standard procedure but sorry about your dad

I had cancer about 7 years ago, went through radiotherapy and chemo, given the all clear after 5 years. I was told the jaw bone would be wekened and under no circumstances should I have a tooth extracted without consultation at the hospital. I got an abscess last year, teeth removed in hospital. But then got a swelling again in January.Had the MRI scan, no cancer or tumour, but they think part of the jawbone is dead, they think the area isnt healing so the options are bone replacement or putting up with pain and anti-biotics for the rest of my life. Think I am going for the knife.

Well that certainly reduces the operation time

I won’t go into all the details but basically cut down inside your mouth and excise tissue to the jaw, make sure they avoid facial nerve, at the same time another surgeon will open your leg and remove either tib/fib you don’t need both, then they break the bone and give you a new jaw and plate it together

purée diet for a while

nothing compared to beating cancer

Well that certainly reduces the operation time

I won’t go into all the details but basically cut down inside your mouth and excise tissue to the jaw, make sure they avoid facial nerve, at the same time another surgeon will open your leg and remove either tib/fib you don’t need both, then they break the bone and give you a new jaw and plate it together

purée diet for a while

nothing compared to beating cancer

I quite like soup :) :)

Pretty sure my dentist said he might have to do something similar if my jaw bone hadn't recovered from the abscess and having to have the tooth removed before they'd be able to put an implant in.

I have a meeting scheduled for 2nd March with a consultant and plastic surgeon, very nervous about this

I want Noel,the supervet to do it :)

Ask the consultant if there’s a chance of the calcium migrating back where it came from. Somehow the devious bastard sometimes knows and wants to go home. Seriously, just ask.
And the lad at the dentist. This is where I heard it. Supposedly techniques have changed since mushing up donor bone from the hip/long bones.

Last edited:

Back