ONS Testing

Is anyone here part of some scheme by the Office of National Statistics that means they get tested monthly?

Lad I work with (who is a known bullshitter mind) reckons for the last year him and his wife have had someone visit to test them every month, and they get £50 in amazon vouchers each time for doing it. Apparently they were chosen randomly based on postcode and sent a letter during the first lockdown asking them to "opt in"

Never heard of this, but it sounds feasible

Not heard of that one but my daughter is on a long covid in children project run by Public Health England. She's not had covid and is in a control group. She's getting paid in gift vouchers for filling in surveys about her health. That was through an unsolicited letter through the post.

Is anyone here part of some scheme by the Office of National Statistics that means they get tested monthly?

Lad I work with (who is a known bullshitter mind) reckons for the last year him and his wife have had someone visit to test them every month, and they get £50 in amazon vouchers each time for doing it. Apparently they were chosen randomly based on postcode and sent a letter during the first lockdown asking them to "opt in"

Yep, it's right - me and the missus been doing it since about September last year.

First month they come once a week - you get £50 each for the first week then £25 per week after that. Then after that they come once a month for a year - £25 each time for both of us.

Yep, it's right - me and the missus been doing it since about September last year.

First month they come once a week - you get £50 each for the first week then £25 per week after that. Then after that they come once a month for a year - £25 each time for both of us.
We are exactly the same. Started weekly, then changed to monthly. Choice of retailers to redeem the vouchers against but we just add ours to our Amazon account.

We have just started giving a blood sample at the same visit, done 2 now. This involves pricking your own finger and collecting the drops in a small tube. I assume the ONS test this to work out the level of antibodies in the population. Same £25 payment each so if you can get enough blood out it works out at £100 per visit for the 2 sets of tests (I couldn’t get enough blood first time)

I do this

We are exactly the same. Started weekly, then changed to monthly. Choice of retailers to redeem the vouchers against but we just add ours to our Amazon account.

We have just started giving a blood sample at the same visit, done 2 now. This involves pricking your own finger and collecting the drops in a small tube. I assume the ONS test this to work out the level of antibodies in the population. Same £25 payment each so if you can get enough blood out it works out at £100 per visit for the 2 sets of tests (I couldn’t get enough blood first time)

They have changed that now if that was the case. £25 per visit according to the info sheet even if they take both samples.

They have changed that now if that was the case. £25 per visit according to the info sheet even if they take both samples.
What! That’s outrageous!

Only joking, when we first volunteered we didn’t even realise there was a payment. Still feel a bit guilty getting £25 for doing the self test as it’s so easy. However, pricking your finger and collecting the blood is a lot more onerous so I’ll take the £25 with a clear conscience 😉

I did the first blood test to check the vaccine had given me antibodies. After that, no thanks too much effort to fill the container for no extra reward

We’re part of the same study. £25 each for me and the mrs. We’ve just changed onto the finger prick thing. Canny hard to get the blood out in one go.

Yeah we do this, it's based on your specific household apparently which is chosen at random, so if you move or anything it won't follow you. But everyone in the household can take part for the same value, so for example my 4 year old has earned about 100 quid in vouchers so far..

Back