Only fools and horses - Jolly Boys Outing

The writing for season 6 was just immense. 6 brilliant episodes and then the Jolly Boys as an Xmas special.

Across all the seasons and specials, there is only really Royal Flush, From Prussia with Love, Miami twice and the godawful last three episodes (which frankly shouldn’t have been filmed) that I don’t rate.

really enjoy miami twice, currently watching ‘to hull and back’ on gold

The Opera scene with Junie is still top notch. The whole episode is still very good imo. Only spoilt be Del going over the top at the country estate
Yeah agree - great episode at the start and scenes with Rodney dressed up like that and Del shooting 😀😀
But after that it was bad, the way Del went on was out of character -just feel like it was scripted right
Apparently John Sullivan wasn’t really involved with the writing/production of Royal Flush and it shows.
Thought I knew everything about OFAH but I never knew that
It does shoe now you’ve mentioned it

Last edited:
Been binge watching on Brit Box over the past couple of weeks
Didn't realise its been around for 40 years
John Sullivan actually developed some brilliant characters, not just the leads,
Sullivan did very well to maintain such a high standard after Leonard Pierces (Grandad) demise

After Denzil’s missus died in real life early on, he did a cracking job in keeping the character in the program.

Apparently John Sullivan wasn’t really involved with the writing/production of Royal Flush and it shows.
just been reading up on it, and interesting production issues (imdb trivia includes a line about it still being edited on christmas morning) - but sullivan seems to have been no less involved with a royal flush than any other episode...
Thought I knew everything about OFAH but I never knew that
It does shoe now you’ve mentioned it
sounds like more of the problem was a troubled production, and time. best summed up with :

"The seemingly darker style of this episode's story did not go down well with the original TV broadcast audience, or the hardcore fan base, especially as Del Boy seemed to be out of character, and the longer episode format seemed to have lost its established feelgood vibe. The production troubles, lack of live studio audience reactions, and also the fact John Sullivan regretted writing this episode, suggests that this episode can be skipped."

Last edited:
I bought the dvd boxset a canny few years back, and its been cut to bits by the BBC.
The scene in JBO where they go to the nightclub.....on the dvd it takes up from when they are all in there....misses out trigger saying he's staying in a motel, and del saying (while a woman is singing) that there is a singer on next.
Similar happens in Miami Twice, when Del and Rodney go into the nightclub in Miami. They get out the motorhome, and cross the road, then the next scene is where they are sitting pissed with the gangsters....misses out all the in between stuff.
And again in the nightclub when Rodney first asks Cassandra to dance....jumps straight from betting Jevon and Mickey Pearce, to being on the dance floor.
Apparently the BBC wouldn't pay the royalties to the songs that were playing in the background so just removed the whole scene.

Last edited:
just been reading up on it, and interesting production issues (imdb trivia includes a line about it still being edited on christmas morning) - but sullivan seems to have been no less involved with a royal flush than any other episode...

sounds like more of the problem was a troubled production, and time. best summed up with :

"The seemingly darker style of this episode's story did not go down well with the original TV broadcast audience, or the hardcore fan base, especially as Del Boy seemed to be out of character, and the longer episode format seemed to have lost its established feelgood vibe. The production troubles, lack of live studio audience reactions, and also the fact John Sullivan regretted writing this episode, suggests that this episode can be skipped."

I’ll see if I can find the article mate, but iirc Sullivan was busy writing for another show and was quite hands off throughout Royal Flush and missed some of the filming.

“When you’re ready, John”

“Do you mean ‘pull’?”

“Oh, sorry Paul”

Jolly Boys Outing and To Hull and Back are the best episodes I reckon. I watch OFAH far too much but still laugh at the gags. Series 1-3 my favourites but 4 and 5 still good, uncle Albert class. Saw a good and rare interview with him the other day on Twitter I’ll try to find it, couldn’t believe how well spoken old Buster was in real life.

Last edited:
Once this whole thing was just a script on a piece of paper.

Then someone has to do some casting for the actors to play those roles - hell , whoever made the choices absolutely nailed it.

Once this whole thing was just a script on a piece of paper.

Then someone has to do some casting for the actors to play those roles - hell , whoever made the choices absolutely nailed it.
They almost chose Jim Broadbent to be Del iirc. The acting in the show was fantastic - minus the actress who plays Cassandra, who was woeful (it has to be said). Del’s son was an irritating little git too.

“When you’re ready, John”

“Do you mean ‘pull’?”

“Oh, sorry Paul”

Jolly Boys Outing and To Hull and Back are the best episodes I reckon. I watch OFAH far too much but still laugh at the gags. Series 1-3 my favourites but 4 and 5 still good, uncle Albert class. Saw a good and rare interview with him the other day on Twitter I’ll try to find it, couldn’t believe how well spoken old Buster was in real life.
I always preferred Uncle Albert, to Grandad.
The part he played and his mannerisms, were a perfect fit, for OFAH.

They almost chose Jim Broadbent to be Del iirc. The acting in the show was fantastic - minus the actress who plays Cassandra, who was woeful (it has to be said). Del’s son was an irritating little git too.
For me, the beginning of the end, for OFAH, was when Del's son Damien, became a regular, in the comedy.
To me at least, he just didn't fit in at all.

Been binge watching on Brit Box over the past couple of weeks
Didn't realise its been around for 40 years
John Sullivan actually developed some brilliant characters, not just the leads,
Sullivan did very well to maintain such a high standard after Leonard Pierces (Grandad) demise
“What you got a wendyhouse”

grandads funniest line and one of the best in the show. Brilliant

It is an awful episode, Del basically acting like an Ar$hole, unwatchable for me.
I’ll see if I can find the article mate, but iirc Sullivan was busy writing for another show and was quite hands off throughout Royal Flush and missed some of the filming.
......I think that's just media speak for an episode that stinks the place out ;) , still plenty of good episodes to enjoy though !!

Last edited:

Back