Only being able to get a good kip when pissed

I've always been a crap sleeper. Working shift work doesn't help like. Lucky if I get 3 or 4 hours a night if I'm sober. If I have a.good drink I'm out for the count and feel much better the next day compared to not having a drink. Anyone else like this?

It's a dangerous cycle to get into in my opinion.

You don't want to get to the point where you become dependent on alcohol to sleep. It will obviously have other health issue.

I also struggle to sleep so am not the best person to give advice. I posted a thread a while ago and some knowledgeable posters provided good advice.

Hopefully there is something for you to take from here.

Used to be the same. Exercise and eating healthy helps a lot.
Very good advice. I was exactly like the OP and restless at night unless I'd had a few. Once i started running during lockdown i found that sleep was no problem at all. I've had three months off with injury and hey presto, i find my sleep pattern is shite once again. We eat quite healthy, so it's not that, i really believe it's the lack of regular and decent exercise.

I can't sleep for shit either. I'll be lying in bed knackered and then be flooded with manic energy like I've just had a line. Always wake up after 4/5 hours when I am able to get to sleep and then spend the whole day exhausted but my body never fancies making up for the lost sleep. Exercise every other day but my muscles don't have proper rest to recover. I've considered knocking myself out with a blunt object to try to get some sleep.

QUOTE="junglist31, post: 37458316, member: 50642"]
I've tried that. It's my mind and having tinnitus doesn't help. Thinking about shit and having songs stuck in my head. There's always summick going on in there.
[/QUOTE]
Thats described me to perfection.

Can't recall the last time I had a proper good sleep. Usually take ages to nod off, then awake several times through the night. Only thing drink does for me is send me off sharpish, the restless night still occurs.

Edit. Seen mentions of exercise and eating well. Do both usually.

Last edited:
Can't recall the last time I had a proper good sleep. Usually take ages to nod off, then awake several times through the night. Only thing drink does for me is send me off sharpish, the restless night still occurs.

Edit. Seen mentions of exercise and eating well. Do both usually.
do you work shifts?

I would implore anybody who regularly drinks to sleep, to seek help/self help. My brother did this and he is now a full blown alcoholic. How he holds a job down on the railways is beyond me as he goes through two bottles of wine most days and often 3.
I've tried that. It's my mind and having tinnitus doesn't help. Thinking about shit and having songs stuck in my head. There's always summick going on in there.
Have you tried listing things down before bed so you don't have to remember them?

I would implore anybody who regularly drinks to sleep, to seek help/self help. My brother did this and he is now a full blown alcoholic. How he holds a job down on the railways is beyond me as he goes through two bottles of wine most days and often 3.

Have you tried listing things down before bed so you don't have to remember them?
It's not normally important stuff I'm thinking about. It's either some stupid song going round and round or I'll be thinking about me golf swing. Just daft shite.

@junglist31

What does your daily routine look like? How much direct sunlight are you getting first thing in the morning and are you getting much exercise?

It's a long video, but considering how little sleep you're getting you might find it worthwhile to have a watch:

Last edited:
@junglist31

What does your daily routine look like? How much direct sunlight are you getting first thing in the morning and are you getting much exercise?

It's a long video, but considering how little sleep you're getting you might find it worthwhile to have a watch:
I work shifts so my body clock is completely fooked. Even before I worked them I slept shite tho. Can never remember being a good sleeper.
I run a few times a week and don't ear too bad. I just think some people just don't sleep well and there's nowt you can do about it

I work shifts so my body clock is completely fooked. Even before I worked them I slept shite tho. Can never remember being a good sleeper.
I run a few times a week and don't ear too bad. I just think some people just don't sleep well and there's nowt you can do about it
The shift work will be a major contributing factor. Going to bed and getting up at the same time seems to be crucial but that doesn’t sound like an option for you at the moment.

You can get legal supplements to help such as melatonin. It’s what your body releases when your body clock thinks it’s time to sleep. I’ve not tried it myself but I’m told if you take some an hour before bed it helps a lot in tricking your body into thinking it’s its natural time to go to sleep.

The shift work will be a major contributing factor. Going to bed and getting up at the same time seems to be crucial but that doesn’t sound like an option for you at the moment.

You can get legal supplements to help such as melatonin. It’s what your body releases when your body clock thinks it’s time to sleep. I’ve not tried it myself but I’m told if you take some an hour before bed it helps a lot in tricking your body into thinking it’s its natural time to go to sleep.
I'll investigate that. Cheers mate.

Back