Onkyo or Denon?

Scorer

Striker
Looking for a decent micro hi fi that can use existing Mission bookshelf speakers with for my sons room. Narrowed it down to Denon or Onkyo as have a fairly modest 200 quid budget. What does the mighty SMB think? Any other suggestions?

Onkyo for a surround setup, Denon for music.

Personally for that price I'd go for a Cambridge Audio amp instead though for a music based system.

Onkyo for a surround setup, Denon for music.

Personally for that price I'd go for a Cambridge Audio amp instead though for a music based system.
Got a Cambridge amp, CD player and a rega planar 2 downstairs. This needs to be compact for the boys room. I'm leaning towards the Denon but it doesn't have a USB port whereas the Onkyo does.

You’ll probably get more features from the onkyo but the Denon will give you a better sound for music and probably use better parts.

Got a Cambridge amp, CD player and a rega planar 2 downstairs. This needs to be compact for the boys room. I'm leaning towards the Denon but it doesn't have a USB port whereas the Onkyo does.

What would you use the USB port for?

I always just use a minijack-to-two-phonos cable for plugging in things like a phone or mp3 player.

I've got the Yamaha, couldn't live without it. I've heard of onkyo but not denon so I'm not best person for advice.

Kids will not appreciate the difference between a good hi-fi amp and an average one Marra. Just get one that has all of the functions on you need at the best price.

I have a denon AV receiver and Cambridge audio speakers. Was speaking to a bloke who works in that hi fi shop in Gateshead who had plenty of praise for denon but none for Cambridge audio, which surprised me a bit

Kids will not appreciate the difference between a good hi-fi amp and an average one Marra. Just get one that has all of the functions on you need at the best price.
This is probably true but I'll have to listen to it sometimes! I've gone for the Cambridge one. Good quality, refurbished by Cambridge audio and should do the job for years for 120 quid.
I have a denon AV receiver and Cambridge audio speakers. Was speaking to a bloke who works in that hi fi shop in Gateshead who had plenty of praise for denon but none for Cambridge audio, which surprised me a bit
That does surprise me, my Cambridge amp and CD player have been great value.

Last edited:
I don't think you will find much difference in sound quality if they have a similar output, the fact they are going through better speakers will improve them anyway as in my experience the speakers that come with standard hifi are usually the weakness.

Back