Oneplus 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking at a one plus 5 phone as my Nexus 5 is dying a slow death battery wise. Bit expensive at £500 ish, add another £100 and buy a Google Pixel....!

I've also been looking at the Wiley Fox Swift 2 X for £219. Lad in the local has the earlier version and hasnt had a problem with it.

Any thoughts?

Glad this thread cropped up, as I was thinking of upgrading from my Oneplus One (which a cracking phone and still going strong)

I was looking at getting one but the lack of expandable memory put me off. Think I'm gona go for an S8 plus.
What are you planning to fill 128gb with?

I used to be mad for SD cards, but now we have tons of internal storage and (more importantly IMHO) USB stick support in both Android and (custom) recoveries, I'm not that bothered any more.

I wanted to at least consider the above but although it is still showing on the 3 website they haven't got any left and there's none in any of the 3 shops either. I believe levono are taking over Motorola so they are rebranding.

Like the poster above I have opted for the Honor 9, nowt upfront, £14.50 for 6 months, £29 after that, works out just shy of the £26 I'm paying now. 4GB data and unlimited everything else. Looks a great bit of kit, great reviews, comes Tuesday.

I have a S7 for work, canny but I didn't want another Samsung.
Lenovo took over Motorola (from Google) at least a couple of years ago iirc.

Last edited:
What are you planning to fill 128gb with?

I used to be mad for SD cards, but now we have tons of internal storage and (more importantly IMHO) USB stick support in both Android and (custom) recoveries, I'm not that bothered any more.

Lenovo took over Motorola (from Google) at least a couple of years ago iirc.

I rang the 3 shop in Chester-le-Street and the bloke told me they weren't getting anymore Lenovo P2's due to them taking over Motorola.

A quick Google and aye it happened a couple of years back. I assume they are just rebranding or merging models or something then?

I rang the 3 shop in Chester-le-Street and the bloke told me they weren't getting anymore Lenovo P2's due to them taking over Motorola.

A quick Google and aye it happened a couple of years back. I assume they are just rebranding or merging models or something then?

Could be. A lengthy rationalisation of similar ranges.

I couldn't get on with the oneplus 5 took it back after a day and got iphone 7 guess im just institutionalised...

I've got a oneplus two, and its serving me well. Part of the attraction was the cracking price point, which is a strategy oneplus have obviously ditched, as its flagship device has almost doubled in price in the last couple of years.

Probably change mine in the next year or so. Dunno what with. Getting a bit sick of the android fuckon so might go in with apple again. Mind, I'd miss Kodi on my fern... decisions decisions

I've got a oneplus two, and its serving me well. Part of the attraction was the cracking price point, which is a strategy oneplus have obviously ditched, as its flagship device has almost doubled in price in the last couple of years.

Probably change mine in the next year or so. Dunno what with. Getting a bit sick of the android fuckon so might go in with apple again. Mind, I'd miss Kodi on my fern... decisions decisions
I guess it's still only 60-65% the price of the other flagships, but i don't think of pay it.
The Nokia looks like a good candidate

I couldn't get on with the oneplus 5 took it back after a day and got iphone 7 guess im just institutionalised...
Takes more than a week to switch tbh. Took me a month just to get used to a new Web browser!

To be honest the spec. especially the camera weren't brilliant but the size appealed. I'm not really into huge phones but it's hard to find smaller models.
Sony have been a good option for smaller sized phones. Experia x compact seems canny (for one for the wife recently). Not flagship spec, but actually, it's perfectly fast enough. I've realised top end cpus are a waste of time in phones unless you're paying games.

Last edited:
I guess it's still only 60-65% the price of the other flagships, but i don't think of pay it.
The Nokia looks like a good candidate

Takes more than a week to switch tbh. Took me a month just to get used to a new Web browser!

Sony have been a good option for smaller sized phones. Experia x compact seems canny (for one for the wife recently). Not flagship spec, but actually, it's perfectly fast enough. I've realised top end cpus are a waste of time in phones unless you're paying games.

I currently have a Sony Z3 compact, nice small, nippy phone. However, I had a prolonged period after an upgrade when calls were more or less impossible. The upgrade took away an option in the settings that meant I could barely hear or be heard during calls. It took them and 3 about 2 months to sort it out.

Even now the speaker phone is completely unusable and the speaker sound is rubbish. For those reasons this is my first and last Sony.

I currently have a Sony Z3 compact, nice small, nippy phone. However, I had a prolonged period after an upgrade when calls were more or less impossible. The upgrade took away an option in the settings that meant I could barely hear or be heard during calls. It took them and 3 about 2 months to sort it out.

Even now the speaker phone is completely unusable and the speaker sound is rubbish. For those reasons this is my first and last Sony.
Shame. She had the z1 compact until this one, and it was excellent and still fine when we sold it

The one and the three were/are both good phones. My mam has my One, and its still running perfectly. The 3 I have is still spot on and I see no reason to upgrade.

Only issue with the 5 is that its a bit pricey, £450+ for a no-brand phone is a bit much imo, I'd rather have a mid-range phone from a better brand (just for follow up care if it breaks)

Follow up care with Oneplus is fine. Mine had a damaged circuit board or something and wasn't dash charging. Sent it to them (they gave me a label), back to where it was sent from (Poland or Czech I think) and I had it back fixed within a week

Reactions: PTR

Mate I literally can't see anything about IOS that is better than Android. For me going back to Apple is a massive downgrade no matter what phone you are using. Restrictive as hell and you pay more for the privilege.

To be honest the spec. especially the camera weren't brilliant but the size appealed. I'm not really into huge phones but it's hard to find smaller models.
Gsmarena is good to find models that match your needs. Shortlist, then Google reviews and best prices.

For example here is a search of the gsmarena database for recent models (post Jan 2016) with small (4.5-5.0") screens, the latest Android (7.1), and 720p or better screen resolution.

You can change those filters, and add many others if you want. See the "refine search" link in the results page. Whenever you change any filters it automatically shows you how many models match in the red banner at the top of the filter page.

It looks like various Sony, Motorola and Google models are your best bet for small screens that you can actually buy.

I also saw this about forthcoming Sony XZ1 models that have smaller screens.

HTH.

I've been looking at a one plus 5 phone as my Nexus 5 is dying a slow death battery wise. Bit expensive at £500 ish, add another £100 and buy a Google Pixel....!

I've also been looking at the Wiley Fox Swift 2 X for £219. Lad in the local has the earlier version and hasnt had a problem with it.

Any thoughts?
or take £400 off and buy an xiaomi note 3.

best money you will ever spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back