One year to train for 10k/Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott1CG

Haven't been a big runner, ever! But I fancy trying to train to do one of these, since i've never done anything like it, which would be the best one to train for? I know a year training for 10k seems a bit pointless for so little miles, but still.

Train on the treadmill or outdoor running, or both?
Any other kind of cardio work outs I should be including?

If you've got a year to train for a 10k then you've too much time on your hands. Even a year for a marathon is a long bloody time! Use both tredmill and outdoors. Do running on the beach too. Interval training is very hand to up your speed.

If you've got a year to train for a 10k then you've too much time on your hands. Even a year for a marathon is a long bloody time! Use both tredmill and outdoors. Do running on the beach too. Interval training is very hand to up your speed.

I said a year because that's when it's up here next, init? :lol:

I said a year because that's when it's up here next, init? :lol:

Aye for the Sunderland 10k, but there are loads of other races which you can enter. Think there's a Bupa 10k at Gateshead in July/August which you could sign up for and easily get enough training in before then for a decent time.

Aye for the Sunderland 10k, but there are loads of other races which you can enter. Think there's a Bupa 10k at Gateshead in July/August which you could sign up for and easily get enough training in before then for a decent time.

Ya seen me just a couple weeks ago, I'll not run 10k in a few months time! Haha.

Will start training for it asap and see what level i'm at.

Ya seen me just a couple weeks ago, I'll not run 10k in a few months time! Haha.

Will start training for it asap and see what level i'm at.

:lol: TBH mate I think you could get yourself sorted in a couple of months for a decent 10k effort. But if you want to wait until next years Sunderland 10k then you've ample time! Google training regimes for 10k/half marathons and look at a few of those. You not fancy a kickabout this Friday?

:lol: TBH mate I think you could get yourself sorted in a couple of months for a decent 10k effort. But if you want to wait until next years Sunderland 10k then you've ample time! Google training regimes for 10k/half marathons and look at a few of those. You not fancy a kickabout this Friday?

I'll start training and see how I get on, my mate asked me to do the marathon with him next year, he's gonna start training as well.

I played last Sunday and nacked me wrist some more, so i'm not playing now till it's completely healed like.

And I googles some regimes a few days ago, they look canny so i'm gonna pick one I prefer and start it.

i started running on the road 2-3 times a week in Jan of this year initially to lose a bit of weight having spent the previous 15yrs or so sitting on the sofa smoking tabs. The improvements in performance you can make in a short period of time are huge if you put the effort in and get a little bit of structure to your training. The first run on 1st Jan was about 2 miles, most of which i walked whilst trying to cough up a large bit of lung. I can now run 5k in 21mins and 10k in sub46mins and a half marathon in under 2hrs. There are loads of smaller road races that take place every couple of days locally across the summer ( http://www.northeastraces.com/ ). A good place to start is the local Parkrun on a sat morning. Good luck and happy running.

ps - best tip i can give you is get some proper running shoes fitted to your feet - could save yourself a world of grief in the long run.

i started running on the road 2-3 times a week in Jan of this year initially to lose a bit of weight having spent the previous 15yrs or so sitting on the sofa smoking tabs. The improvements in performance you can make in a short period of time are huge if you put the effort in and get a little bit of structure to your training. The first run on 1st Jan was about 2 miles, most of which i walked whilst trying to cough up a large bit of lung. I can now run 5k in 21mins and 10k in sub46mins and a half marathon in under 2hrs. There are loads of smaller road races that take place every couple of days locally across the summer ( http://www.northeastraces.com/ ). A good place to start is the local Parkrun on a sat morning. Good luck and happy running.

ps - best tip i can give you is get some proper running shoes fitted to your feet - could save yourself a world of grief in the long run.

Cheers and well done.

I reckon i'll need some running shoes, I used to stop due to coughing/chest hurting, now it's mainly ankles start aching.

Cheers and well done.

I reckon i'll need some running shoes, I used to stop due to coughing/chest hurting, now it's mainly ankles start aching.

either startfitness in newcastle or the sweatshop in the metro centre are the best bets. They will check you gate whilst running etc and recommend the best shoes and potentially custom insoles. Loads of injuries and niggles in the legs and feet are actually caused by wrong shoes so its worth doing if you are going to get even semi-serious about training - certainly if you want to run a marathon etc.

can anyone help me find a decent training program to get my 10k under 40mins, i google it but just get loads of peoples blogs and im not that savvy on a computer to seem to find what i am looking for!! any help would be great and apprciated and either post onhear our PM so i can have a look and get cracking on beating the 40mins barrier eventually.

can anyone help me find a decent training program to get my 10k under 40mins, i google it but just get loads of peoples blogs and im not that savvy on a computer to seem to find what i am looking for!! any help would be great and apprciated and either post onhear our PM so i can have a look and get cracking on beating the 40mins barrier eventually.

i would suggest you pop onto runnersworld.co.uk, look at the forums and there is a specific one for training advice and tips. There are 100's of threads on there so there must be loads relating to 10K running plans.

i would suggest you pop onto runnersworld.co.uk, look at the forums and there is a specific one for training advice and tips. There are 100's of threads on there so there must be loads relating to 10K running plans.

thanks, i have just been ont here and found a 8 week plan that i am going to attempt to complete, pb for 10k is 42.44 hopefully in 8 weeks time i can go under that.

The Great North 10k is on July 22nd why not do that? Its only 6 miles and you have 10 weeks to train for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back