One out one in is how its going to be

When the owner first came in, they made it very clear the club needed to be sustainable and couldn't go on spending what it didn't have. Everyone loved that and said they understand and how our club needed to be ran like that. Now because we aren't buying our way out of the league, they're full of shit and liars. The mess we were in can't be sorted quickly and imo many just aren't seeing how tough of a balancing act it is. They've made more than enough funds available so far, for us to have been promoted.

You’re looking at 2 very distinct and far apart points there mate. There’s a middle ground, where there’s some investment to push us towards the top 2. Methven said we’ll make £5million in profit this year, so if there were a couple of decent signings with just half of that apparent profit, we could mount a serious push to those 100 points they promised. But they aren’t doing that at all and we’re continuing to slash costs as much as possible even though they said we didn’t have to

The two areas that needed to be addressed if we were to become an attacking team have not been addressed in any way. Exactly the same ponderous slow players and if it's one in one out we are fucked, because he will not get rid of Leadbitter Wyke Grigg or Gooch and Honeyman. Like he plays around with Wyke or Grigg it'll be the same with Gooch and Watmore trying to get something working.

Read the article about FFP and we need to limit our wage bill. Hence Cattermole, Love and likely a few others moved on. According to reports even McGeady took a pay cut to stay. Maybe instead of writing off the season after a glorious victory at Shields and the 0-0 against Benfica reserves, we should actually let the owners and manager finish the pre season. Some people on here are behaving like those crest fallen heartbroken souls up the road

I’m guessing not many read that article and understood the implications of having a bloated wage budget due ton EFL rules. Even though we’ve got the wage budget down significantly since they came in and our turnover is up we are close to the threshold and at risk of being investigated next summer.

It’s shite but it’s where we are at due to the last ownership not the current. It’s one of them where you just have to accept it and get on with it. We can’t go handing contracts out and inflating it anymore.

Move watmore and Oviedo out then bring in two players in the bracket of Willis on considerably lower wages and it’s very good business.

When the owner first came in, they made it very clear the club needed to be sustainable and couldn't go on spending what it didn't have. Everyone loved that and said they understand and how our club needed to be ran like that. Now because we aren't buying our way out of the league, they're full of shit and liars. The mess we were in can't be sorted quickly and imo many just aren't seeing how tough of a balancing act it is. They've made more than enough funds available so far, for us to have been promoted.

This is my problem with them, when they came in they made it very clear they were paying £40million for the club, (however that was split up between Ellis and Bank debt) and they said they only secured the £25million against the parachute payments, rather than use them to pay them. They lied about that. As they seem to be lying about stuff this summer too. “6-8 signings” “don’t need to get rid of Cattermole, Oviedo, Watmore etc”.

The crux of the matter is that we have no money to spend unless we generate it from sales, despite them saying we’ll be profitable by September, so we, the supporters, just have to back Jack Ross and hope he transforms the current players into a top 2 team

It isn't easy to bring players in when in order to do so, you are trying to ship players out who are on wages that nobody else would offer.

We are a league one club so bringing in these ideal players that everyone keeps talking about isn't going to be easy.

We all know we need a powerful box to box midfielder, someone creative in place of Honeyman and arguably a centre half and striker, but how do we get them when we are already shelling out millions in wages compared to the rest of the division.

We should probably start backing the ones we have. The majority of this squad would walk into any team in this league.

This is what I find odd. Takeover seemed to suddenly collapse and the naming rights theyd planned to sell since they came in has suddenly gone quiet.

Also, after Wembley I remember Charlie and Stewart saying they seen what the fans seen.... we had no pace and power etc, alluded to being too defensive.

So where are the signings to rectify this?
I think Donald was very confident that investment was coming. It would be interesting to know what happened. I don't think he's tried to hoodwink us in anyway but, is guilty of getting over enthusiastic when he speaks. I reckon behind-the-scenes they'll know the squad is unbalanced and there'll be a bit of frustration about it. I still have a feeling Mcgeouch might go to make space for a more attacking player. I wouldn't be against Watmore leaving either.

I don't care if they're a midfielder, I'm purely talking about the one out one in policy. Maddisson, for example, would be a good cattermole replacement
maddison plays a totally different positon to catts..so wouldnt be his replacement..robson is catts replacement..

I think Donald was very confident that investment was coming. It would be interesting to know what happened. I don't think he's tried to hoodwink us in anyway but, is guilty of getting over enthusiastic when he speaks. I reckon behind-the-scenes they'll know the squad is unbalanced and there'll be a bit of frustration about it. I still have a feeling Mcgeouch might go to make space for a more attacking player. I wouldn't be against Watmore leaving either.
Donald is the oen who downpalyed the prospect of investment the whole time-journalists were the ones confident it was coming..
donald said on the podcast he might get investment or might not..and that nothing was close..journalists were naming dates..

This is my problem with them, when they came in they made it very clear they were paying £40million for the club, (however that was split up between Ellis and Bank debt) and they said they only secured the £25million against the parachute payments, rather than use them to pay them. They lied about that. As they seem to be lying about stuff this summer too. “6-8 signings” “don’t need to get rid of Cattermole, Oviedo, Watmore etc”.

The crux of the matter is that we have no money to spend unless we generate it from sales, despite them saying we’ll be profitable by September, so we, the supporters, just have to back Jack Ross and hope he transforms the current players into a top 2 team
i dont get the lies bit? they said we dont need to get rid of catts etc..not that we wouldnt..and oviedo is still here?
they didnt use the para money to buy the club. they used it to pay an safc debt..

It isn't easy to bring players in when in order to do so, you are trying to ship players out who are on wages that nobody else would offer.

We are a league one club so bringing in these ideal players that everyone keeps talking about isn't going to be easy.

We all know we need a powerful box to box midfielder, someone creative in place of Honeyman and arguably a centre half and striker, but how do we get them when we are already shelling out millions in wages compared to the rest of the division.

We should probably start backing the ones we have. The majority of this squad would walk into any team in this league.
so is embleton not good enough to play the hoeyman role? and robson the catts role? people on here whine about kids being given a chance athen disregard them..

You’re looking at 2 very distinct and far apart points there mate. There’s a middle ground, where there’s some investment to push us towards the top 2. Methven said we’ll make £5million in profit this year, so if there were a couple of decent signings with just half of that apparent profit, we could mount a serious push to those 100 points they promised. But they aren’t doing that at all and we’re continuing to slash costs as much as possible even though they said we didn’t have to
no methven said operating profit would be £5m..not profit..operating profit excludes trasnfer fees and one off costs like paying players off...the reality is paying love and catts odff probably cost more than most league one tams will spend on transfers.
safc remains loss making at the operational level.

Last edited:
maddison plays a totally different positon to catts..so wouldnt be his replacement..robson is catts replacement..
Not imo. Coleman played Robson as defensive midfielder and he was like a rabbit in the headlights. Robson needs a little more freedom. I think this Sammut? Kid might surprise a few. That's if Ross has the foresight to play him. However my worry is Ross will play safe with Power and Leadbitter. I'd be tempted to give youth a chance.

We were lied to when they took over. As lovely as it was for the “transparency” and involving the community etc, they’re non-league owners of a massive football club and the sooner we’re sold the sooner we’ll have a chance for a tiny bit of success again. Until then, we’re all banking on Jack Ross

:lol::lol:
what do you mena non league owners?
yes they worked at a non league club..but charlie also worked for spurs and chelsea-champions league clubs?
safc is not a big business compared to the ones they have worked in..

Maybe he thought our income was going to be a lot higher at the time. There was talk of naming rights been as good as sold, several investors showing interest, excellent season ticket sales.
and all of those except the last one are true..investors dont contribute to the income of a club though..income is turnover..

Last edited:
Donald is the oen who downpalyed the prospect of investment the whole time-journalists were the ones confident it was coming..
donald said on the podcast he might get investment or might not..and that nothing was close..journalists were naming dates..
I was referring more to the 100 points and 6 to 8 quality player statements. Sunderland fans have seen and heard 100s of empty promises over the years. Build up the hopes of our fans is a dangerous game.

No you mean its finally official we're skint. Can't be I heard it on here from the happy clappers.

We went all in last season and failed.
skint? we have spent fortuens this summer on getting rid of catts and love..

I was referring more to the 100 points and 6 to 8 quality player statements. Sunderland fans have seen and heard 100s of empty promises over the years. Build up the hopes of our fans is a dangerous game.
have we failed to get 100 points yet0and has the tranfer window closed yet?
the reality is 6 players have joined the first team squad...embleton,..the two new defenders..rpbson..the keepr from coventry and sammut...so two more gets you to 8..whether they are quality is different...but dont associated quality with cost a lot of money..

Last edited:

i dont get the lies bit? they said we dont need to get rid of catts etc..not that we wouldnt..and oviedo is still here?
they didnt use the para money to buy the club. they used it to pay an safc debt..

so is embleton not good enough to play the hoeyman role? and robson the catts role? people on here whine about kids being given a chance athen disregard them..

no methven said operating profit would be £5m..not profit..operating profit excludes trasnfer fees and one off costs like paying players off...the reality is paying love and catts odff probably cost more than most league one tams will spend on transfers.
safc remains loss making at the operational level.

Quite possibly, I haven't seen enough of them to make judgement.

I will be cassandra's voice why do you think the squad is automatic promotion material.

Sure, because they had it in their own hands last season and blew it, because they have proven they have enough quality and a second season in the chair should provide more stability and more clarity on what’s needed to get there.

It was vital we shifted Cattermole and it’s now one in one out

Alot of people wants shot of Oviedo, one of the only bits of quality we and I bet it’s still one in one out when he leaves. A div 1 freebie to replace him

Hume looks raw last night and would weaken the side if he is a direct replacement for Oviedo
We need to play him, if he has potential - which I believe he has.
It’s hardly like Oviedo was a star last season - rank average.

This is the first thing I thought, like. It is something we've heard discussed before, a number of years ago when we were in the Premier League... if you've got money to spend, the last thing you want to do is announce it to the world, or everyone will raise their prices for you. Tell everyone you're working on a regular League 1 budget and we might actually get the players we want for the proper price instead of an "Oh, it's SAFC, they're loaded!" price.

The truth will probably lie in between having some money to spend but also trying to spend as little as possible. There's no doubt Ross wants that smaller competitive squad too so I can see the reasons for trying to get a few out.

Still can't see us paying the kind of money to land Maddison tho.

Last edited:
have we failed to get 100 points yet0and has the tranfer window closed yet?
the reality is 6 players have joined the first team squad...embleton,..the two new defenders..rpbson..the keepr from coventry and sammut...so two more gets you to 8..whether they are quality is different...but dont associated quality with cost a lot of money..
I'm not writing our chances off, or dismissing any business we've done so far. What I'm saying is look at what's been said previously, get to know the fans and choose your words carefully. If it does go wrong he'll be thrown under the bus, very quickly.

Back