One-off charge sim cards ?

Keyser Soze

Striker
Can you get them to add to an old handset with credit that will remain until used - or are all sims on 'monthly' charges/top ups these days?

I just want to leave a spare phone in my daughters car for 'emergencies' only - she has just started driving and it gives me extra piece of mind.

Aka as a burner phone.

Go to ASDA get one for a 10a put 10 quid credit on it and it will be an old type phone when the battery lasts for ages

Assad and Guff Gaff have already been mentioned, but to keep the SIM active, you need to switch the phones on every month or so to keep them active.

That said, remembering is a different matter and I would myself prefer it if the SIM would not expire and battery wouldn't slowly drain as I really would just prefer to forget about the phone until used even if needing it is a once every couple of years event.

We did this ourselves in the early days of mobile phones and the then lady of the house didn't understand why I kept recovering the phone every month to check ot was okay.

Another thing to remember is even old candy bar phones use up charge very, very slowly even when switched off to keep, for example, the timing chip running and charge has to be checked too.

But given your daughter already probably has her own phone, is this necessary unless she has a habit of letting the battery run down or using up her allowance?

It's extremely rare these days to find someone without a mobile phone.

Has she not got a phone of her own?

Yes she has an iphone - but i have an old samsung handset i wanted to stick a sim into for a 'back-up' to leave in the car - just in case she ever runs out of charge on her own phone etc
Assad and Guff Gaff have already been mentioned, but to keep the SIM active, you need to switch the phones on every month or so to keep them active.

But given your daughter already probably has her own phone, is this necessary unless she has a habit of letting the battery run down or using up her allowance?

Yes that's what she sometimes does - so i want it as a back-up. I think GG looks a decent option - cheers all

Last edited:
Couldn't you just put an iPhone charger in the car that will charge the phone from the cigarette lighter?
She already has that - so yes, in theory it will always have charge. It was more as a back-up, just in case anything happened to her phone and she broke down or anything.

She already has that - so yes, in theory it will always have charge. It was more as a back-up, just in case anything happened to her phone and she broke down or anything.

She could take the SIM out of the iPhone and put it into the other one. May need a SIM adaptor but still cheaper than buying another SIM

Bet you will be a nightmare when she brings home her boyfriends....

I'd be exactly the same if I had a daughter mind so fully agree!

Back