One of the best debut albums of the 80s?

Now you’re talking

I’ll hoy The Psychedelic Furs in to the fray.
Great velvetsesque/punky stuff. Post punk as it gets labelled nowadays. Nowt at all like their later more American AOR/MTV stuff. Could almost be two different bands.
Listen to this before any compilation or compilation playlist.

Last edited:

Heaven 17 and Human League - both take me right back to Hero’s on Fawcett Street circa autumn 1981.

Not strictly a debut as they’d had something else out with different personnel that sank without trace but ‘Fabrique’ by Fashion was mind blowing to me and a tragedy it never caught on.

And on a similar vein of tragedy that it never caught on - a different style of music but once again, ‘Script of the Bridge’ by The Chameleons was a superb debut.
I loved Heroes - what a place that was

Was Fabrique the album that Fashion did with Troy Tate on guitar and vocals - decent album by any standards

The greatest debut album of all time The Clash.
Only a Gash fan could class 1977 as the 80’s

I take it you came across them decades later (like most Clash “lifetime fans” ) and assumed it was an 80’s debut ;)

Now you’re talking

I’ll hoy The Psychedelic Furs in to the fray.
Great velvetsesque/punky stuff. Post punk as it gets labelled nowadays. Nowt at all like their later more American AOR/MTV stuff. Could almost be two different bands.
Listen to this before any compilation or compilation playlist.
I never got the Furs at all - much as I tried to

Last edited:
Madonna - Madonna
Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston
Shout At The Devil - Motley Crue
Run DMC - Run DMC
The Travelling Wilburys Vol. 1 - The Travelling Wilburys
Shout isn't Motleys debut mind :lol:
Great album still

Def Leppard

Last edited:

Was Fabrique the album that Fashion did with Troy Tate on guitar and vocals - decent album by any standards

I take it you came across them decades later (like most Clash “lifetime fans” ) and assumed it was an 80’s debut ;)

I didn't say it was the 80's, greatest of all time.

London 0 Hull 4 by The Housemartins

Great tunes, very political and yet very poppy.

Spawned some great singles, shame I never got the chance to see them live.

I recall their appearance on The Tube where they did an outstanding a cappella version of Caravan of Love.

And let's not forget Paul Heaton went on to form The Beautiful South and Norman Cook became Fatboy Slim.

I'm reminded of this because of a nice interview / article in The Guardian the other day.

The Housemartins: how we made Happy Hour

Rock and roll

London 0 Hull 4 by The Housemartins

Great tunes, very political and yet very poppy.

Spawned some great singles, shame I never got the chance to see them live.

I recall their appearance on The Tube where they did an outstanding a cappella version of Caravan of Love.

And let's not forget Paul Heaton went on to form The Beautiful South and Norman Cook became Fatboy Slim.

I'm reminded of this because of a nice interview / article in The Guardian the other day.

The Housemartins: how we made Happy Hour

Probably in my top three debut albums of the 80's, Guitar Town by Steve Earle and The Hardline...TTD being the others, still play them regularly to this day.

First album seems to be by a different band in comparison with the others.....and is all the better for it.

First album seems to be by a different band in comparison with the others.....and is all the better for it.
Fabrique is the one with Dee Harris on vocals - they made a couple of TV appearances with that line in in 1982 - notably OTT performing a track called Streetplayer
Harris was punted not long after and Troy Tate ( ex Teardrop Explodes ) took over on vocals and Guitar but that line up didn’t release anything as far as I’m aware

They were noted for huge changes of personnel over a relatively short period of time iirc

Fabrique is the one with Dee Harris on vocals - they made a couple of TV appearances with that line in in 1982 - notably OTT performing a track called Streetplayer
Harris was punted not long after and Troy Tate ( ex Teardrop Explodes ) took over on vocals and Guitar but that line up didn’t release anything as far as I’m aware

They were noted for huge changes of personnel over a relatively short period of time iirc
I was on about the p Furs marra! Sorry

I was on about the p Furs marra! Sorry
My mistake mate - the Furs were tipped to be the most successful of the bands emerging at that time but it never really materialised.

I suspect they changed for commercial reasons as they saw America as being there for the taking as a lot of bands from that era did

My mistake mate - the Furs were tipped to be the most successful of the bands emerging at that time but it never really materialised.

I suspect they changed for commercial reasons as they saw America as being there for the taking as a lot of bands from that era did
Aye.
New people next door and the blokes a long time Furs fan. He saw em in London last year and has seen em a few times in the US. I nivver even knew they’d reformed. Anyway he knows a family member of the butler brothers and once they’d got a look at how U2 were living cult status went out of the window.
They were offered Don’t You Forget About Me before Simple Minds but after Bryan Ferry according to him and are still kicking themselves now.
Furs singers considering moving to the Lake District as that’s where his mam is now he reckons anarl

Not sure what’s happening here as it looks like you answered your own question!
Fabrique was made with Harris who came in, wrote, sang and played on the entire album then left over ‘musical differences’ - released an album with Richard Wright from Pink Floyd entitled Zee which went nowhere then he disappeared.

Troy Tate came in and I saw one awful video of him singing on ‘Streetplayer’ then he was punted.

Al Darby came in as singer/writer/guitarist. They had a minor single ‘Eye Talk’ and album ‘Twilight of Idols’ which went nowhere plus a slot on Radio One In Concert which I taped on a Friday night. They only played ‘White Stuff’ from Fabrique, everything else was from ToI. Then they sank without trace.

The drummer died and the original singer Luke from before they made it was trying to put something together but if they couldn’t get a lookin during their heyday their moment has long since passed.
And to think Duran Duran supported them on tour!

Not sure what’s happening here as it looks like you answered your own question!
Fabrique was made with Harris who came in, wrote, sang and played on the entire album then left over ‘musical differences’ - released an album with Richard Wright from Pink Floyd entitled Zee which went nowhere then he disappeared.

Troy Tate came in and I saw one awful video of him singing on ‘Streetplayer’ then he was punted.

Al Darby came in as singer/writer/guitarist. They had a minor single ‘Eye Talk’ and album ‘Twilight of Idols’ which went nowhere plus a slot on Radio One In Concert which I taped on a Friday night. They only played ‘White Stuff’ from Fabrique, everything else was from ToI. Then they sank without trace.

The drummer died and the original singer Luke from before they made it was trying to put something together but if they couldn’t get a lookin during their heyday their moment has long since passed.
And to think Duran Duran supported them on tour!
I did mate - the memory had blurred a little all these years later - I couldn’t remember if Tate had recorded anything with them or whether Harris had been responsible for Fabrique or not - I vividly remember them on OTT in 82 and thinking that they had potential but after that the memory blurs somewhat

I did mate - the memory had blurred a little all these years later - I couldn’t remember if Tate had recorded anything with them or whether Harris had been responsible for Fabrique or not - I vividly remember them on OTT in 82 and thinking that they had potential but after that the memory blurs somewhat
Haha - I just loved that album. Searched and searched but never heard anything like it before or since, absolute standout. Maybe the closest is something like Frankie in their heyday or Shriekback. Drummer playing over a beat box, bass player slapping over a bass sequencer, layers and layers of keyboards, jazzy-funky guitars, vocals, backup vocals, vocoders all layered with effects and with that juicy eighties Roland Jupiter type sound. Class!

Pet Shop Boys - Please
Metallica - Kill 'Em All
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
GnR - AforD
De La Soul – 3 Feet High and Rising

At the time I was pre-teens and more likely to be listening to stock aitken and waterman mind. Although Appetite for Destruction was the first CD I bought a few years after it's release.

This. Which i happen to have on currently or...

Depeche Mode: Speak and Spell.

Quality album....

Disco was released the same year and I still listen to it now, love it, prefer it to Please as In The Night and Paninaro are quality tracks

Bros - Push
Deacon Blue - Raintown
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Terrence Trent D'Arby - Introducing the Hard Line
George Michael - Faith

Great shout Mr Osbourne. This still one of my favourites

Last edited:

Back