One for the Cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.

ywcmackem

Winger
Looking at buying a turbo trainer so I can use my bike in the comfort of my home when weather is not good.
I've got a budget of about £150 for one and was wandering if anyone had experience or advice on what to get. I've tried google but I'm stumped.

Looking at buying a turbo trainer so I can use my bike in the comfort of my home when weather is not good.
I've got a budget of about £150 for one and was wandering if anyone had experience or advice on what to get. I've tried google but I'm stumped.
Mine are just ones I got off Wikipedia for about fifty quid. You don't have to go mental and spend a fortune. You can still get a good workout if you know what you're doing. I like short intense workouts during the winter months, Russian Steps, Tabata and shit like that.

The rest of the time I prefer getting out on the road or if I'm really time pressed I have a set of Elite Parabolic rollers which I prefer to the Turbo Trainer anyway.

Get a good second hand one for that. Always on FB cycling groups for sale.
I only use mine about 4-5 times a year, but would'nt be without it.

1. My advice would be to borrow one and give it a try. I was in the same position a few years ago, borrowed one and absolutely hated it. Pleased I never bought one. Maybe why this is why there are always ones foe sale second hand. I know some people who love it though. I now put the bike away for the winter and do different exercise. Keeps it fresh for me.

I hate using mine, but I've got a cycleops mag. It's simple and does the job.

I'm currently recovering from illness and massively down on fitness. I'm thankful to have it here to get me back into a degree of shape before I'm out on the roads again.

Using a Tacx blue motion thingy...better than the elite one I used to have.
Previously used to buy turbo tyres, now just recycle old bike tyres.

Use mine a lot, especially come winter( but also in summer like to get a couple of sessions a week on it)

Love/hate relationship with it...

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm relatively new to the cycling game. Coming up to 50 year old and decided to try and lose a bit of timber. I don't get in from work till 5.30 so by time I get out on the bike I'm limited. Only going to get worse as nights cut in and don't really want to be out in dark as very often my 7 year old son is with me.

Could be interested. I live in Quarrington Hill.

I hate using mine, but I've got a cycleops mag. It's simple and does the job.

I'm currently recovering from illness and massively down on fitness. I'm thankful to have it here to get me back into a degree of shape before I'm out on the roads again.
Let me know when you are back out on the road.

Very good tool if used correctly. Been on mine 3 times this week.

Even in summer I will use it ...certain sessions are far harder to replicate on the road
Seems mad going into the garage in summer but always done it....as you say it's better to have an idea what you want to do on it

Reactions: D.A
Bought a cheap one from Halfords with variable resistance. Also bought a cheap tyre from Argos as the turbo can bugger up your tyre.
Got mine in the garage but it's boring as hell using it so suggest taking music or a tv in with you

Bought a cheap one from Halfords with variable resistance. Also bought a cheap tyre from Argos as the turbo can bugger up your tyre.
Got mine in the garage but it's boring as hell using it so suggest taking music or a tv in with you
Stick my tablet on a wheelie bin. Netflix membership

I’ve got a tacx- highly recommend them - hate the turbo mind & only use it in the middle of winter.

Few lads at work have them where they measure power & link up to some online competitors that might make turbo sessions more bearable....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back