On this day 85 years ago...

Barista

Full Back
The Lads romped home to their 6th and final Division One title. Only Aston Villa had been champions of England as many times as SAFC.

Easter Monday - 13 April 1936 saw The Lads thrash Birmingham City 7:2 at St Andrews to become champions with 3 games to spare. 4 goals from Gurney, backed up by one each from Carter, Connor and Hornby brought the championship back to Roker Park.

This was the last truly great SAFC team - they had been runners up in 1935, won the FA Cup in 1937 and reached the FA Cup semi final in 1938.

Glory days.

The Lads romped home to their 6th and final Division One title. Only Aston Villa had been champions of England as many times as SAFC.

Easter Monday - 13 April 1936 saw The Lads thrash Birmingham City 7:2 at St Andrews to become champions with 3 games to spare. 4 goals from Gurney, backed up by one each from Carter, Connor and Hornby brought the championship back to Roker Park.

This was the last truly great SAFC team - they had been runners up in 1935, won the FA Cup in 1937 and reached the FA Cup semi final in 1938.

Glory days.
Amazing stuff. Can only imagine what that was like. What did it feel like mate? Did you have a run at the Birmingham fans?

I still have a minor bone to pick that we have a statue of Stokoe outside the ground but absolutely nothing to mark the presence of this team, or some of the great ones before them.
Totally agree. It gives the impression that we are like Southampton or Coventry, won nothing but 1 FA Cup win as plucky underdogs, rather than a club that was one of the Big 4 for football’s first 50-60 years.

I blame the Germans for stopping our domination of football
1939 second world War
Had a decent side 1913
1914 first world War
What have we done to them
😄

You make a good point, it’s likely we would have won more trophies during those times. I think the biggest impact was when we were caught making illegal payments to players at the end of the 50s. By the sounds of it every club were doing this in some form but Sunderland were made an example of and we never seemed to recover thereafter.

We went from one of the top teams in England having never been relegated to a second division outfit, which never even remotely came close to reaching those lofty heights at the top of the league. I suppose Reid came the closest, but I think we all realised winning the league was never a real possibility as we simply didn’t have enough quality in depth, nor could we compete with the top clubs in the transfer market.

Then you add missed opportunities, we were close to appointing Shankly and he was interested, but Liverpool pipped us to him. The same with Clough, he wanted to come, but we avoided him. The question is I suppose, if they had been appointed, would they have been given the tools and resources to succeed.

Last edited:
You make a good point, it’s likely we would have won more trophies during those times. I think the biggest impact was when we were caught making illegal payments to players at the end of the 50s. By the sounds of it every club were doing this in some form but Sunderland were made an example of and we never seemed to recover thereafter.

We went from one of the top teams in England having never been relegated to a second division outfit, which never even remotely came close to reaching those lofty heights at the top of the league. I suppose Reid came the closest, but I think we all realised winning the league was never a real possibility as we simply didn’t have enough quality in depth, nor could we compete with the top clubs in the transfer market.

Then you add missed opportunities, we were close to appointing Shankly and he was interested, but Liverpool pipped us to him. The same with Clough, he wanted to come, but we avoided him. The question is I suppose, if they had been appointed, would they have been given the tools and resources to succeed.
Some would argue we’ve still never recovered from that.
Up until then we were a genuinely big club, one of the elite.
Since then we simply haven’t been.

Some would argue we’ve still never recovered from that.
Up until then we were a genuinely big club, one of the elite.
Since then we simply haven’t been.

I think post war or post 1950’s anyway the modern giants established themselves or pulled away anyway. Even someone like Liverpool only started winning lots from 70’s onwards. when they stepped on the pitch for the 74 cup final mags had one more major honour than them. The early trophy winners like us Villa and the mags and the northern teams like Blackburn Preston Huddersfield etc all seems to fade away to varying degrees

Glory days.
Bet Luna17 has some footage.

Glory days.
Bugga!
Missed that game cos Hank didn't do his HHHAAAWWWAAAYYY!

Back