Omicron - bit of positive news & some optimism

OK by immune I meant better protected than if you'd not seen it.
fair enough, but its a massive difference between Immune and better protected, we have to live with covid now, its always going to be with us, like the flu is.

We need to study the effects of long covid and the long term damage that does before I would feel comfortable to let even a mild covid rip throughout the country, and to quote you "in ideal world would be to infect everyone" is a stupid idea as there isn't any long term immune response, vaccine or natural and with mass infections you get more chance of the virus mutating again, its nothing like a smallpox virus where once infected your immune for life.

Vaccine in as many arms worldwide as possible to reduce the chance of worse versions, keep infections low as we can and like the flu learn to live with it, making sure the most at risk groups are well protected.

Listening to the BBC you'd think this new variant was the Black Plague
I’ve stopped looking at their app / website and bizarrely getting my info from verified science boffins on twitter. Have mentioned earlier tho, a sage scientist has slammed his own colleagues for the poor language used since this bloody variant was unearthed. No wonder the tinfoilers et al call these things ‘scariants’

Not enough focus on this aspect in the mainstream media - in my own opinion, of course.

Too busy with the lurid, scaremongering headlines that get more clicks and sell more papers.

Not enough focus on this aspect in the mainstream media - in my own opinion, of course.

Too busy with the lurid, scaremongering headlines that get more clicks and sell more papers.

The same people sharing this tiny amount of anecdotal evidence are the same people screaming on other threads it’s too early to draw any conclusions on anything :lol: And one of the quotes being widely shared was taken out of context.

It’s either too early to draw any conclusions or it’s not. People seem to want to cherry pick what they want to believe which is fine but then sharing that as irrefutable evidence is bonkers

Was talking about this to parents yesterday, saying how early indications from SA suggesting it might be milder.

'Oh no, the news were saying its much worse' was their response.

Then having to try & explain the difference that higher transmission doesn't mean deadlier, and lots of potentially vaccine escaping mutations might actually turn out to be a good thing.

And the government's half, half half arsed response with masks is just adding fuel to the scaremongering.

The same people sharing this tiny amount of anecdotal evidence are the same people screaming on other threads it’s too early to draw any conclusions on anything :lol: And one of the quotes being widely shared was taken out of context.

It’s either too early to draw any conclusions or it’s not. People seem to want to cherry pick what they want to believe which is fine but then sharing that as irrefutable evidence is bonkers
I tend to agree but it hasn't stopped the mainstream Media from screaming out their 'Omicron = End-of-days' style headlines and pronouncements based on the same level of actual knowledge and they have a much greater effect on people's outlook and emotions.

The fact that the 'not as bad as it's being made out to be' viewpoint is based on comments made by someone who was instrumental in identifying the new variant is telling and, in my opinion, should not be treated so dismissively- it's even been quoted in today's Daily Mirror (albeit at the tail end of an article calling for more restrictions).

I've always tried to be a 'glass half-full' type of person and live my life in hope rather than despair which is why I tend to focus on those type of posts rather than subscribe to the constant doom and gloom that seems to be peculiarly prevalent on this forum in particular.

I tend to agree but it hasn't stopped the mainstream Media from screaming out their 'Omicron = End-of-days' style headlines and pronouncements based on the same level of actual knowledge and they have a much greater effect on people's outlook and emotions.

The fact that the 'not as bad as it's being made out to be' viewpoint is based on comments made by someone who was instrumental in identifying the new variant is telling and, in my opinion, should not be treated so dismissively- it's even been quoted in today's Daily Mirror (albeit at the tail end of an article calling for more restrictions).

I've always tried to be a 'glass half-full' type of person and live my life in hope rather than despair which is why I tend to focus on those type of posts rather than subscribe to the constant doom and gloom that seems to be peculiarly prevalent on this forum in particular.

I agree with being positive I just find it ironic that people complain that everyone is too quick to jump to conclusions but then do exactly the same thing on the first bit of positive news. Some antivaxers on Twitter seem to have taken as conclusive proof Omricon is nothing to worry about which is the risk on the other side and also not helpful.

There are also conflicting reports from other people on the ground. The head of ICU in the biggest hospital in Soweto said they are seeing a different picture. The stats also show a 3 fold increase in hospital admissions where it is spreading in a few weeks (Was on CNN this morning).

The point is everyone should just let the scientists determine on both sides

Last edited:

Me and the Mrs had GMB on this morning as we were pottering getting sorted. I had to knock it off cause if I heard the word variant 1 more time I might not have been responsible for my actions

I agree with being positive I just find it ironic that people complain that everyone is too quick to jump to conclusions but then do exactly the same thing on the first bit of positive news. Some antivaxers on Twitter seem to have taken as conclusive proof Omricon is nothing to worry about which is the risk on the other side and also not helpful.

There are also conflicting reports from other people on the ground. The head of ICU in the biggest hospital in Soweto said they are seeing a different picture. The stats also show a 3 fold increase in hospital admissions where it is spreading in a few weeks (Was on CNN this morning).

The point is everyone should just let the scientists determine on both sides

Well the positive to take from that, it appears being double jabbed works against this variant. Since none of the 3 fold numbers are.

Me and the Mrs had GMB on this morning as we were pottering getting sorted. I had to knock it off cause if I heard the word variant 1 more time I might not have been responsible for my actions
I didn't bother with it as I knew Susana Reid would be thrapping herself daft with faux outrage.

I just find it ironic that people complain that everyone is too quick to jump to conclusions but then do exactly the same thing on the first bit of positive news.
Again, I don't disagree but a possible reason for the reaction to the highlighted bit is that people are sick to death of being force-fed the opposite for over 18-months.
Well the positive to take from that, it appears being double jabbed works against this variant. Since none of the 3 fold numbers are.
That's the conclusion I took from that, rightly or wrongly.

Get your jabs people - they work.

It's like a TV version of The Daily mail. She's false as fuck and It's blatantly obvious that everything she does is for the camera.

Im normally a radio 2 man while im doing the morning routine with the bairn before school but the Mrs was with us too today as she was getting sorted to head out to graft herself. Next time I'll get in first with the 'Alexa, play.....' ;)

I’ve stopped looking at their app / website and bizarrely getting my info from verified science boffins on twitter. Have mentioned earlier tho, a sage scientist has slammed his own colleagues for the poor language used since this bloody variant was unearthed. No wonder the tinfoilers et al call these things ‘scariants’
Listening to Jeremy Vine on radio 2 today, first sentence out of his mouth, looks like we could be in lockdown for Xmas, really, nobody but nobody in the scientific community have said this. The BBC not fit for purpose.

said it better than I could mate. Anyway work nearly done going to go to gym then have a couple of jars later. Life goes on!

Listening to Jeremy Vine on radio 2 today, first sentence out of his mouth, looks like we could be in lockdown for Xmas, really, nobody but nobody in the scientific community have said this. The BBC not fit for purpose.
Usually comes from people looking for reasons to be outraged by the thought of another lockdown. "You know where this is going..." followed by a spewing of dreamt up scenarios.

Back