Olmypus Pen / Sony a290L - Camera advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

c_gordon

Looking to buy a new camera, but was just wondering whether someone would recommend the Olympus Pen E-P1?

I was originally looking for a SLR camera and I thought thats what this camera was considering the price, but it turns out its not, but still heard good reviews.

Can anyone offer any advice on whether to buy it or not? Or other alternatives?

It's reduced from £599 to £310, so it sounds like a good deal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, does it come with the flash or do I need to buy that seperately?

Re: Olmypus Pen - Camera advice.

Getting a good review here.

You need to check whether that price is for the body only or with a lens - lenses aren't cheap.

You will need to buy a separate flash.

One thing I would say is go to a shop and hold one. It's a small camera (look at the comparison to the E-450 on the link I posted -the E-450 is the smallest SLR on the market), and that wouldn't work for me personally, as I like a chunky and fairly heavy camera, but it might work for you.

Edit: It seems like it always comes with a lens, so I suspect that's what the price you have is. I'd check which lens though.

Last edited:

Getting a good review here.

You need to check whether that price is for the body only or with a lens - lenses aren't cheap.

You will need to buy a separate flash.

One thing I would say is go to a shop and hold one. It's a small camera (look at the comparison to the E-450 on the link I posted -the E-450 is the smallest SLR on the market), and that wouldn't work for me personally, as I like a chunky and fairly heavy camera, but it might work for you.

Edit: It seems like it always comes with a lens, so I suspect that's what the price you have is. I'd check which lens though.

Well I've just checked it out and you're right, it doesn't come with lens and light! Crazy!

I was also looking at the Sony a290l which I think I'll get. It's not actually for me, but neither me and my mrs know anything about cameras. You have any idea if it's a good camera? She's always had a digital camera so from reports this camera sounds like the perfect step up. Plus it's £360 for the camera, memory card and bag to keep it in. Not a bad deal??

Not sure about the Sony, the poster Clyde uses a Sony DSLR so he's probably best qualified to advise - but again, check whether that's body only or with a kit lens.

Just checked Amazon and they have it here (in the US) for $399 with a kit lens, or $429 with a 4Gb card.

Not sure about the Sony, the poster Clyde uses a Sony DSLR so he's probably best qualified to advise - but again, check whether that's body only or with a kit lens.

Just checked Amazon and they have it here (in the US) for $399 with a kit lens, or $429 with a 4Gb card.

Thanks for your help. I'll check if it's got a lens kit. I'm sure the camera would be reliable and solid, considering it's a Sony. I've heard that the Lumix g2 is a good one as well but in unsure whether that could be confusing to someone who's used to digital if you know what I mean.

I'm a Sony user (a200 - I think this is essentially an older version of the 290. From what I can tell, the a200 became the a230 which then became the a290) and, to be honest, it's been absolutely perfect for someone who is new to serious photography. However, after about 18 months I'm starting to see it's limitations - a bit slow, problems with noise, no live view, kit lens aint great. It's been excellent to learn the ropes on though.

E-P1 here for £329 with lens.

Thanks. Found a Olympus epl1 for £380, but get £30 cashback from Olympus. It has a fitted light and lens to it, so I think I'll get it as it's what the wife really wants one (though she doesn't know it's a surprise)

I found the Sony 290 with memory card and bag for £330 all together, which is a good price!

Thoughts guys? Just cough up the extra for the olympus?

For me, the E-P1 looks like a really nice camera and, by the sounds of it, would be more suitable for your wife. It's always worth checking out dpreview before making a purchase. I've hoyed up their pros/cons conclusions below.

Conclusion - Pros

Excellent resolution, tons of detail in the shots
Appealing, bright and punchy out of camera results and well optimized JPEGs
Very clever collapsible kit lens that's small, but offers decent quality
Unique retro design puts SLR quality into a compact body
Good high ISO performance up to ISO 3200 and lots of control over noise reduction
Superb build quality
Decent handling
Dual control dials - unusual design that works well
Lots of external control, easy access to photographic functions
Comprehensive feature set and impressive level of customization
Reliable metering and white balance (in natural light)
Lots of stuff to play with; art filters, aspect ratios, multi-exposure and level gauge
In body image stabilization
Easy to use, high quality video mode

Conclusion - Cons

Slow focus requires a more considered approach to shooting
Some highlight clipping (and poor dynamic range at ISO 100)
Low resolution screen that's hard to see in bright light
No viewfinder
No built-in flash (and the optional flash is expensive and pretty basic)
Complicated menu system not that easy to navigate
Preview image brightness doesn't always match the captured image brightness
Poor focus, slow lens and jerky live view image make shooting in very low light frustrating, to say the least
No AF illuminator
The most interesting Art Filters slow down operation (and make the movie mode virtually useless)

Thanks for that, really helpful. I noticed the ep1 doesn't have a light fitted in, so good job I done the research to the smb! I came across the epl-1 which has the light fitted in and cones with the lens kit, which is 380, but I get 30 cashback from Olympus. So 350 sounds a good price! Considering it's meant to be something like £600.

How does getting the cashback actually work??? Send a cheque out to you or something?

Thanks for that, really helpful. I noticed the ep1 doesn't have a light fitted in, so good job I done the research to the smb! I came across the epl-1 which has the light fitted in and cones with the lens kit, which is 380, but I get 30 cashback from Olympus. So 350 sounds a good price! Considering it's meant to be something like £600.

How does getting the cashback actually work??? Send a cheque out to you or something?

yeah mate, there'll be a registration card in the box. you fill that out with yer name, address etc and post it off. you'll get a cheque back in the post.

ps. sounds like you've got a good deal there mate!

yeah mate, there'll be a registration card in the box. you fill that out with yer name, address etc and post it off. you'll get a cheque back in the post.

ps. sounds like you've got a good deal there mate!

Nice 1, cheers pal. I'm hoping its a good deal.. it's a lot of money to fork out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back