Olives

Disgusting, obnoxious things which make a hell of a mess if not cleaned up.

The only reason I don’t chop them all down, is that the trees provide useful all year round shade from the Sun.

Can we ever agree on anything? ;)
One of the joys of having olives is their care. This time of year I´m out in the late sun pruning the lower shoots off ready for the harvest and then in January I start the main branch pruning. Keeps me active and in touch with the land, plus my Spanish neighbours come round to give me a hand and I go and help them too and that always ends up in a social gathering..
We got about 15 litres of oil last year, the stuff for drizzling is the food of the Gods.

One of the joys of having olives is their care. This time of year I´m out in the late sun pruning the lower shoots off ready for the harvest and then in January I start the main branch pruning. Keeps me active and in touch with the land, plus my Spanish neighbours come round to give me a hand and I go and help them too and that always ends up in a social gathering..
We got about 15 litres of oil last year, the stuff for drizzling is the food of the Gods.
There's a bunch of old fellas round my village, who collect all the olives, and depending on the harvest you get the oil back.

Love an olive and really like tapenade. I do mourn the fact I'm clearly no longer proper working class though with my intake of olives, artichokes and sun blush tomatoes.

Well fortunately I also have good Spanish neighbours who are happy to help pick them or clean them up before chucking them in with their own and checking them in at the local farmers co op., so I usually end up with a supply of oil as well.

I’m no more keen on the oil itself than on the olives themselves, though our lass uses a fair bit for her cooking.
Many of the bars pour a load of the stuff on the bread when serving bocadillos, which makes me as sick as a pig if I forget to tell them no oil.

I actually tried using it as a lubricant on one occasion.:oops:
Big mistake, it simply gunged everything up and was a nightmare to get rid of, so that was one lesson well learnt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye the oil is extra virgin, our lass well that ship sailed a long time ago.
A while back, I saw I think it was This morning, with Italy's leading Olive Oil expert on, who said those 2 words are nothing more than a marketing scam. :lol:

I actually tried using it as a lubricant on one occasion.:oops:
Big mistake, it simply gunged everything up and was a nightmare to get rid of, so that was one lesson well learnt.
As in, a "personal" lubricant? :lol:

A while back, I saw I think it was "this morning" with Italy's leading Olive Oil expert on, who said those 2 words are nothing more than a marketing scam. :lol:
I saw something on the telly a few years back that reckoned most black olives are a con. Just green ones with dye added so they can charge more. Dunno how true it is like.

Back