Oldies again - The "great" SAFC Centenary Match 1979

gluepot

Striker
I remember going to this match to celebrate 100 years of SAFC. Great celebrations. Sunderland v England X1

So who played for the England X1 on that famous night?

Shilts or Clemence?

Viv Anderson? Emlyn Hughes? Phil Neal? A welcome return for Dave Watson?

Young Glenn Hoddle and Trevor Brooking?

Keegan and Trevor Francis up front? Or maybe Dennis Tueart just for old times sake?

Let's see.... hope the link works OK

What a load of $hiT - is that the best they could come up with? I demand a refund.

Strangely enough, I was being forced at gunpoint to clear some stuff out (ended up giving up about 10%, not a bad outcome), and came across the centenary book from '79. Decent nick, found loads of other forgotten stuff too, like my double page colour photo splash in a Danish newspaper from pre-season '99-00 with a load of South Shielders - anyone on here?

Strangely enough, I was being forced at gunpoint to clear some stuff out (ended up giving up about 10%, not a bad outcome), and came across the centenary book from '79. Decent nick, found loads of other forgotten stuff too, like my double page colour photo splash in a Danish newspaper from pre-season '99-00 with a load of South Shielders - anyone on here?
I’ve got that centenary book too, loved it at the time but it’s not the greatest effort considering we were 100 years old.

The centenary book is an great publication. A well researched and stylish account of the history of the club up to 1979 with a great sprinkling of stats and pictures. Of course nothing glossy or glamorous -- it is well dated by now - pity the game itself was a non event and the worst attended of that season with the exception of Mick Docherty' s testimonial ( 4000 at his game )
Every book since then on the history of the club, although bigger and bolder pales into comparison.
And why ? The author was Arthur Appleton

It was 10p to get in the Roker End IIRC, something about it being 'the bob end' years ago because it cost 'a bob' to get in. Apparently there was a shortage of 5p pieces so they made it 10p instead.

So says STATCAT....but its debateable, I'm sure youve read this
I’m now in the 1880 camp.
I can’t see them forming and waiting 54 weeks to tell the local papers then gannin mad and having two practice sessions, hiring a pitch, changing their name, deciding on a shirt, opening up to non teachers etc in two weeks. After doing nowt for 54 weeks? Allen seemed a go getter type. Prevaricating for over a year seems unlikely to me.
Teachers Assoc records, Sunderland Echo, N&D FA Records, Durham FA records, Local Sports Paper records etc point to 1880. I believe it.
Well done MBH.

Felt cheated when I saw the ‘England’ team! Apart from thinking who are half of these guys, there was boro’s Craig Johnston , a South African born Aussie! Think he did have an U21 cap!

Back