Old recurring direct debits

I've been pretty poor at monitoring my finances previously but have started to take a closer look recently.

I've found a few DD's going out monthly for years and I have no idea what they're for. I've cancelled them but I was wondering if I have any hope of recovering amounts I've already paid over when I was receiving no services in return?

I think you need to find out what they are.

The bank should be able to help you identify the recipient.

Depending on what it is you might get something back ... but I doubt it

I think you need to find out what they are.

The bank should be able to help you identify the recipient.

Depending on what it is you might get something back ... but I doubt it
Thanks. I'll visit the bank. The main two were an amount going to BT and an amount to an insurance broker. I think both relate to a mobile phone contract I haven't had for years.

Thanks. I'll visit the bank. The main two were an amount going to BT and an amount to an insurance broker. I think both relate to a mobile phone contract I haven't had for years.

Ah, these are the buggers really.

If you've had a mobile phone insurance contract for years, even if you don't have the phone anymore, it is still insured, so the policy is valid.
It would be like taking out a car insurance policy for a year, not claiming on it then asking for a refund because you never meant to take it out in the first place.

You can try to plead on their good nature, but I used to work for a car insurance company, and the policy was basically "feck 'em"

Ah, these are the buggers really.

If you've had a mobile phone insurance contract for years, even if you don't have the phone anymore, it is still insured, so the policy is valid.
It would be like taking out a car insurance policy for a year, not claiming on it then asking for a refund because you never meant to take it out in the first place.

You can try to plead on their good nature, but I used to work for a car insurance company, and the policy was basically "feck 'em"
I'm not holding out any hope so anything I do get would be a bonus.

I worked with a lass who's ex-b/f took out a subscription to Playboy TV on her bank card. She only found out 8 years later and long after the relationship had finished. I'm sure she got the money back though

Back