Old photo of the lads.

Peter Wakeham was the goalie in the first match my dad took me to when I was 4 or 5 yo. I have no idea who we played or what the score was. He lived in Druridge Ave in a house, owned by the club I imagine, that backed onto our next door neighbour's. I never saw him at the house and the grass in his garden was always overgrown - he never cut it. When he left George Mulhall moved in.
Was George mulhall more interested in lawn maintenance than Wakeham?

1 9 6 0 – 6 1
Back row – Montgomery, Murray, Richardson, Fogarty, Harvey, J O’Neill, Smith, Jones, Goodchild
Third row – Jones, Wright, McNab, Lawther, Pearce, Hurley, Wakeham, Wardle, Hird, Curtis
Second row – Watters, A O’Neill, McPheat, Taylor, Anderson, Topley, Maltby, Scott
Front row – Lewis, Potter, Borne, Dillon, Sharkey, Kiernan

should say that I wrote a book on the terams of SAFC together with Brian Leng (lovely bloke, lives in fulwell). We managed to get images from all the SAFC seasons bar:

1880 to 1882
WW1 - wasnt any taken
1941 to 1943 IIRC - WW2

Ironically there hasnt been a team photo taken this season, so if one doesnt materialise it will be the first time since WW2 that one hasnt been taken
That last paragraph is quite shocking really, was that a result of the sponsor cock up and delayed strips? Part of football at all levels is being in a team and all teams generally have a team photo.

If memory serves me right, when I was about 5, Jimmy Mcnab was a neighbour, but I had no idea who he was. I was quite proud of my dad’s football medals and took them round - I think his son then massively trumped me by showing me a load of Sunderland medals including something for promotion - that shut me up!
He lived opposite me in the late 80s/early 90s. Absolute gentleman he was.

Back