Old photo of the lads.

I've just raked out the book which details the names of all the players in that photo. This prompted the usual comment "when are you going to get rid of all that rubbish" I won't detail all the names yet as it's interesting to look at all of the guesses. Unless you're a Lads nerd, or over 65 or you're Rob Mason you'll struggle to name more than a third of them

Saw this undated photo in a nursing home today and there's not many I recognise. I can see Monty, Martin Harvey, Slim Jim and The King but not many others.

1 9 6 0 – 6 1
Back row – Montgomery, Murray, Richardson, Fogarty, Harvey, J O’Neill, Smith, Jones, Goodchild
Third row – Jones, Wright, McNab, Lawther, Pearce, Hurley, Wakeham, Wardle, Hird, Curtis
Second row – Watters, A O’Neill, McPheat, Taylor, Anderson, Topley, Maltby, Scott
Front row – Lewis, Potter, Borne, Dillon, Sharkey, Kiernan

should say that I wrote a book on the terams of SAFC together with Brian Leng (lovely bloke, lives in fulwell). We managed to get images from all the SAFC seasons bar:

1880 to 1882
WW1 - wasnt any taken
1941 to 1943 IIRC - WW2

Ironically there hasnt been a team photo taken this season, so if one doesnt materialise it will be the first time since WW2 that one hasnt been taken

Last edited:
Ambrose Fogarty (the lion of Roker) to the left of Martin Harvey, Jimmy McNab on the extreme left of the second row, the little guy middle third row is Ernie Taylor and next to him is Stan Anderson, I think the guy at the end of that row is the manager Bill Murray and in the front row second from the right is Nick Sharkey.
If memory serves me right, when I was about 5, Jimmy Mcnab was a neighbour, but I had no idea who he was. I was quite proud of my dad’s football medals and took them round - I think his son then massively trumped me by showing me a load of Sunderland medals including something for promotion - that shut me up!

I've just raked out the book which details the names of all the players in that photo. This prompted the usual comment "when are you going to get rid of all that rubbish" I won't detail all the names yet as it's interesting to look at all of the guesses. Unless you're a Lads nerd, or over 65 or you're Rob Mason you'll struggle to name more than a third of them
I dont think that anyone would get all of the names first time. Brian, who has been well in with the Former Players for donkeys years even had to research some of those names.
Was at the club a long time iirc seemed to hold a lot of respect
Yes, everyone knew him. My best mate...his father went to the match with a bloke called McKenna, whose brother had the dog track at Birtley. the McKenna's knew Johnny well. Had a broad Glaswegian accent even to the day he died. Proper old school.

Last edited:
johnny Watters of course was from Glasgow and IIRC played for Rangers v Celtic in Scotland's biggest ever league crowd. ended up living somewhere like Whitburn, was at SAFC for decades and only died a few years ago aged circa 90. Lovely bloke.

Johnny Watters lived in the same street as me actually just off Thompson Rd. Just up from Bobby Kerr and then later Tim Gilbert (RIP)

Last edited:
He was the trainer, physio, butcher and statistical analyst.

He also played in the best attended match ever played in the British Isles at the time (118,730) at Ibrox for Celtic in 1939 and took part in the D Day landings as a medic. Also famously brought a dog wearing a Sunderland shirt into the Sunderland dressing room at half time during one of the home FA Cup games during the 1973 run.

He used to drink in the Mill View club as did Nicky Sharkey who is also in the picture, when I used to get in there in the 90's and early 2000's. Nice old fella was Johnny.

Last edited:
1 9 6 0 – 6 1
Back row – Montgomery, Murray, Richardson, Fogarty, Harvey, J O’Neill, Smith, Jones, Goodchild
Third row – Jones, Wright, McNab, Lawther, Pearce, Hurley, Wakeham, Wardle, Hird, Curtis
Second row – Watters, A O’Neill, McPheat, Taylor, Anderson, Topley, Maltby, Scott
Front row – Lewis, Potter, Borne, Dillon, Sharkey, Kiernan

should say that I wrote a book on the terams of SAFC together with Brian Leng (lovely bloke, lives in fulwell). We managed to get images from all the SAFC seasons bar:

1880 to 1882
WW1 - wasnt any taken
1941 to 1943 IIRC - WW2

Ironically there hasnt been a team photo taken this season, so if one doesnt materialise it will be the first time since WW2 that one hasnt been taken
Trying to drop you a pm but your in box is full:lol:

Peter Wakeham was the goalie in the first match my dad took me to when I was 4 or 5 yo. I have no idea who we played or what the score was. He lived in Druridge Ave in a house, owned by the club I imagine, that backed onto our next door neighbour's. I never saw him at the house and the grass in his garden was always overgrown - he never cut it. When he left George Mulhall moved in.

Back