Oktoberfest

The lot mate x

What about Dusseldorf anyone? Flights look much better.
Loads of threads on here about Dusseldorf. It's not a festival, just an all year round massive session mainly on one street. It's brilliant.
You can get the festival feel by going to the riverside. If you are stuck on the idea of an 'Oktoberfest' type event then I would say Stuttgart but Dusseldorf has a relaxed atmosphere where you can move around a bit more and I'd be hard pushed to say which one I enjoyed more.

The lot mate x

What about Dusseldorf anyone? Flights look much better.

Dusseldorf has a sort of beer festival called Bierborse. Been a few times and its class. Nothing like Munich or Stuttgart but just as enjoyable. Check out Bierbörse | Veranstaltungstermine 2018

Dusseldorf also hosts a wine version of the above the first weekend of August. It's nowhere near as big as the beer version but is canny all the same.

Did it a few years ago. Brilliant experience.

It does get crazy busy though with some tents hard to get into unless you have reservations.

We avoided the weekend as that's obviously the busiest time.

Stop at this place
Your browser is not supported!

Not right in the centre but underground station is across the road and not to far to the festival - got no recollection of getting back any of the nights though.

We also arrived on a day that Bayern Munich were playing (Wednesday night) so went and watched them as well.

As it happens ive never done Munich myself during the fest.. it's something I want to do
We went with full intentions of seeing all of Munich's sights when we went, few beers in and that idea was a write off :lol: would love to go back outside of the festival season really. Pretty sure on the day we were going home I couldn't taste or eat anything and put the fear into a taxi driver when I pretty much collapsed into the ground getting out the car, we laughed about it on the flight back like. As said, cracking beer, woman, atmosphere etc

Loads of threads on here about Dusseldorf. It's not a festival, just an all year round massive session mainly on one street. It's brilliant.
You can get the festival feel by going to the riverside. If you are stuck on the idea of an 'Oktoberfest' type event then I would say Stuttgart but Dusseldorf has a relaxed atmosphere where you can move around a bit more and I'd be hard pushed to say which one I enjoyed more.
Sounds like it's right up our street this mate. This is front runner at the minute. Got a cracking price.
Think we'd be better off where it's just pubs all over.

Looking at booking a lads weekend away somewhere. Never done this before.
Anyone done it and are there any decent recommendations for places to stay? Cheaper the better really, good value.
How many lads? More than a few of ya and it's impossible getting seated without reservations.

Been twice and would thoroughly recomend it. We stayed in a hostel (AO hostel I think it was called) both times about 10 minutes walk from the event.

Excellent atmosphere, stunning women and lush food and drink.

Booking the hotel is the hardest part as they go as soon as they go on sale.
Top location but an absolute dump. It was my first trip to Germany and I was wondering if their hospitality had improved at all since 1945.

Last edited:
Get yourself there 100 percent. Would recommend doing your research on the tents. You want the lowenbrau one as it looked easily the best but gets busy. You will need to be queuing for opening in the morning. Would avoid the opening day cos youve got no chance if the best tents. Infact i would recommend going during the week, even though it is counter intuitive. Its still well busy enough. The weekends are just too mental. Also when you are in you don't want to be shy. Just steam up and ask to join people. Not ideal for big groups as you need to be seated before they will serve you. Obvs more difficult to get a seat if a big squad.

How many lads? More than a few of ya and it's impossible getting seated without reservations.

Top location but an absolute dump. It was my first trip to Germany and I was wondering if their hospitality had improved at all since 1945.
Could be up to 20 like. The more pub orientated break that Dusseldorf offers probably suits us better than getting in one of these festivals. We'll still get a feel for it no doubt.

4 times for me. Different but great fun each time. Probably done with it now though.

Also spent a fair bit of time in Dusseldorf and that's a great place for a group on a long weekend. Most popular place for German stag/hens I believe. Can also head to Cologne for a day if you want.

Did it back about 12 years ago at the end of a 6 week trip around Europe.

Great fun but very much an all in experience. You can’t really move between tents or do anything else on the days you go as it’s so busy.

We were staying with Munich locals so had more fun the first night if I’m honest in the beer gardens and then clubs around town.

Only been the once but only for a day. I've looked at doing it for a weekend break but digs are very expensive during the time its on. I've also noted that the likes of Easyjet hike their prices up too. I suppose if you book early enough you'll get decent priced digs. Munich is a piece of piss to get around by public transport too so if your digs were on the outskirts you could get to the fair ground where its held very easily.

Apparently, the Stuttgart Beer festival is better. Never been to that one though.

Stuttgart is less of a chew on, and easier to get in the tents, and has a lot less Australians, which is a bonus, however, if you are going to do the Oktoberfest you may as well do the daddy! Be prepared to queue a lot unless you reserve though.

The likes of KLM / BA don't put their prices up as such, or they didn't when I last went, but they will naturally go up when the seats become limited.

Holiday Inn hotels can be had for a relatively low number of points if any one travels a bit. And they are always available for the fest, well they from a year in advance

Unless you're mad keen on it, which you aren't, then avoid Munich. It's so unbelievably busy it's hard to justify the chew on just to get in and have a good time. You're also about 6 months late to even consider a trip there and hotels will cost you hundreds.

There's Oktoberfest things in every city across the country and they're almost all identical. They just range in scale. Go with the advice on here!

Unless you're mad keen on it, which you aren't, then avoid Munich. It's so unbelievably busy it's hard to justify the chew on just to get in and have a good time. You're also about 6 months late to even consider a trip there and hotels will cost you hundreds.

There's Oktoberfest things in every city across the country and they're almost all identical. They just range in scale. Go with the advice on here!
Class, cheers mate.

Back