Oil / Fossil fuels - destruction of the planet

Oil/fossil fuels are finite and finished as a viable energy source

it’s heartening to see so many different means of energy becoming the norm. But you can’t help to think it’s from necessity rather than desire.

I think it will increase over the next decade and fossil fuel will pass into a minority fuel rather than the prevailing one.

a historic shift!

we are a fair while away from having a power grid ran mainly on renewables and nuclear. Even then, the cost of for example a nuclear new build is astronomical. This country, across successive governments, has not invested anywhere near enough in R&D.

being used faster than it’s being produced!

it’s finished

When you say produced, you do know there’s no dinosaurs around to make any ‘new oil’?

On a less flippant note, there are still a number of planned installations for hydrocarbon extraction around the world. The construction industry is still measured in billions and is not going anywhere soon.

If you take the current contribution from offshore wind (10GW) and what I his looks like as a percentage of current demand, then look at goals of
60GW in ten years, it will jot meet the demand now, let alone at that time.
Oil still has a place in our energy needs, although I do concede it will diminish greatly.

Other means of energy production are now seeing significant leaps and Hydrogen production for one is very much en vogue.

When you say produced, you do know there’s no dinosaurs around to make any ‘new oil’?

On a less flippant note, there are still a number of planned installations for hydrocarbon extraction around the world. The construction industry is still measured in billions and is not going anywhere soon.

If you take the current contribution from offshore wind (10GW) and what I his looks like as a percentage of current demand, then look at goals of
Oil still has a place in our energy needs, although I do concede it will diminish greatly.

Other means of energy production are now seeing significant leaps and Hydrogen production for one is very much en vogue.

Hehe, fossil fuels are mostly from biomass from plants not animals! Ancient photosynthesis……….last time I checked plants were not extinct!

Nuclear fusion is getting closer and would produce many times the Gigawatts required for the planet. Also renewables, more energy hits the earth as sunlight in a single hour than the entire human race uses in a year. It’s a conversion problem more so than anything else

we are a fair while away from having a power grid ran mainly on renewables and nuclear. Even then, the cost of for example a nuclear new build is astronomical. This country, across successive governments, has not invested anywhere near enough in R&D.
The power grid is already ran mainly on renewables and nuclear, if you class "mainly" as being over 50%.
Low carbon sources generated 53.1 per cent of the total in Quarter 2 2021, down 9.1 percent on the previous year, due to lower renewable and nuclear generation (which was for a number of reasons). But its still producing over 50% of UK electricity demand.

Last edited:
The power grid is already ran mainly on renewables and nuclear, if you class "mainly" as being over 50%.
Low carbon sources generated 53.1 per cent of the total in Quarter 2 2021, down 9.1 percent on the previous year, due to lower renewable and nuclear generation (which was for a number of reasons). But its still producing over 50% of UK electricity demand.
I would prefer to see more data rather than simple %, I.e is the carbon footprint associated with things like nuclear new builds incorporated into their carbon neutral output value. Our nuclear capacity is due to dramatically reduce in the coming years too, unless the government pull their finger out and commit to more R&D and on proven designs too.

Haway the fusion tech.

Rules don’t apply to China.
No matter what everyone else agrees with they will do what they want.
Let’s hope they start to become more trusting.

I don’t think that should mean everyone else gives up because China are not being involved . climate change will affect them too, maybe it will take them a little longer to come round to the table

We're pretty much sorted. We have gen 4 nuclear plants, we have carbon capture technology and the ozone layer is on track to be completely healed by 2050. The UK government seem to be moving towards nuclear, which is promising. Ideally, China won't build as many coal fuelled plants as existed in Europe in a year every year.

I watched one of those clickbait presentations for “Generate your own energy” the other day. He’s basically flogging plans for a perpetual motion machine 😂

I would prefer to see more data rather than simple %, I.e is the carbon footprint associated with things like nuclear new builds incorporated into their carbon neutral output value. Our nuclear capacity is due to dramatically reduce in the coming years too, unless the government pull their finger out and commit to more R&D and on proven designs too.
If you prefer to see more data, go and find it. The data is easily accessible from government energy reports. You said we were a long way from grid energy being mostly provided (i.e. over 50% contribution) from renewable or nuclear sources, when we are in fact already there.

Is the carbon footprint associated with building fossil fuel power stations incorporated in to their "carbon neutral output"?

Oil/fossil fuels are finite and finished as a viable energy source

it’s heartening to see so many different means of energy becoming the norm. But you can’t help to think it’s from necessity rather than desire.

I think it will increase over the next decade and fossil fuel will pass into a minority fuel rather than the prevailing one.

a historic shift!

Haway the oil.

Back