Oh wise SMB

Seems to be just at the back of the academy, according to this map (use the transparency slider to see where it was).

Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

Possibly the residence referred to in this:
Whitburn baptisms & burials 1813-1852 | Durham Records Online

The other thing I noticed from that map is that the beach at Seaburn is named Whitburn Sands.

You've gone further back than I did. In the 1949-70 map it seems to the pavilion on the playing fields of Seaburn School. All the other points of reference tally with the photo.

Aren't those side by side maps just great?
Amazing some of the stuff you can find out

They're incredible. A few years ago we were living in a property that had a terrible problem with damp. Looked on one of the 19th century maps and discovered we were living where there'd once been a village pond.
Best viewed as an overlay, not side by side

I have a big screen. Much prefer the side by side. The pointer shows you exactly where you are on both maps.

Last edited:
They're incredible. A few years ago we were living in a property that had a terrible problem with damp. Looked on one of the 19th century maps and discovered we were living where there'd once been a village pond.
I also like this site.
You may know this, but if you register to it, you can zoom into the photos.
Obviously they're old photographs so not always the best quality - interesting though all the same.
I also like this site.
You may know this, but if you register to it, you can zoom into the photos.
Obviously they're old photographs so not always the best quality - interesting though all the same.
FFS - forgot to post the link
Britain From Above

Last edited:
Everything to the north of cut throat dene was Whitburn. Basically Seaburn beach was Whitburn beach. The only part of the beach that belonged Fulwell/Seaburn was south of cut throat dene to Parson's rocks.
Never knew that. The map I posted shows the parliamentary boundary there, so that makes sense. I see it's still marked as Whitburn Sands/Whitburn Bay in the more recent map you posted (in which that particular part is from 1966).

Never knew that. The map I posted shows the parliamentary boundary there, so that makes sense. I see it's still marked as Whitburn Sands/Whitburn Bay in the more recent map you posted (in which that particular part is from 1966).
It's still called Whitburn bay now, I just think locally it's known as Seaburn beach.

Back