Oh wise SMB - Roof Leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommasi

Striker
Rug in the bairns room soaking through this morning, water coming through the light fitting in his room with the rain last night.
Been up the loft and can see where it's damp but no signs of any loose tiles or owt from the outside though i haven't been up ladders.

I'm no roofer though, any ideas what could be causing the roof to leak if it appears all the tiles are in place? Cheers

Rug in the bairns room soaking through this morning, water coming through the light fitting in his room with the rain last night.
Been up the loft and can see where it's damp but no signs of any loose tiles or owt from the outside though i haven't been up ladders.

I'm no roofer though, any ideas what could be causing the roof to leak if it appears all the tiles are in place? Cheers

Rain

Mine was flashing around the chimney, water gets in then gravity can take it anywhere into the house.

That looks like its got some good info, though i've only skimmed it.
Not read all that so don't know what its mentioned.
But not only could the leak be somewhere else in the roof than where you think, it could also be dripping onto the ceiling boards in a different place to where you've found a damp patch. It could be running along the boards till it finds an opening,like the light fitting.
And there may not normally be anything wrong with your rooftiles/slates. When there is heavy rain and high winds you can get the rain bleaching/blowing through gaps that it can't normally reach. It's a bit less likely,but it may never leak again. Get up there when its raining,and feel around for other damp patches.

I wouldn't be surprise mate if it's a cracked tile, unless your on the roof they can be hard to find and not directly where the water is coming in. Any decent roofer would find it and cure it no problem.

Driving rain can get under tiles. There is a about-twice-yearly leak in our roof. It's an old house so timbers can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back